Getting together at Spring War

Discussion for activities for non-coms

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Getting together at Spring War

Postby Aramire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Do any of the parents out there want to get together at Spring War 2007 and create a Kid's area? I don't want to get in the way of the event coordinators but if people are interested maybe we can talk to them about the best place to have it.

Maybe we could all bring a few items or ideas to keep the kids busy during the day. We could convert childrens games (duck, duck, goose; hide and seek) into period games, teach belegarth skills & defense (bow, sword), crafts section (beads, string, glue, buttons, gems, etc) and some other things for the older children. Maybe someone could bring some scrap leather pieces and their tools and some of the older kids could create their own armor or even garb if we bring some material. Obviously it would be limited but I'm sure they would still have fun. Each child could also create a name for themselves and display it on their name tag.

It might be nice to set up a meeting place so the kids get the chance to meet and play with each other.

Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. Our boys are ages 3, 4 and 7.
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
"It's not who I am that matters. It's what I do that defines me."
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moradain

Postby Griffolion » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:08 am

where is the spring war taking place?.
live by the sword, die by something else
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Aramire » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:03 pm

Griffolion wrote:where is the spring war taking place?.

Wolfpack has not posted a location yet. Sorry :)
I will update this post once I find out.
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Griffolion » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:24 pm

well if its wolfpack then i shouldent have much problem finding it, umm could you bring a spare red weapon?, i want to try out a red, see if its my style of fighting.

Thanks (even if you dont bring the sword)
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:56 pm

reds and kids are not a good idea.

Nor are ranged weapons.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Griffolion » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:03 pm

i dont care if its a good idea, i still want to try it

the only way ill learn what a weapon is like, and if its a bad idea, is if i test it out myself

understand?
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Griff, I think that this is geared more towards 6-8 year olds... Do you seriously want to swing a red sword at some little girls?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Griffolion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 am

HELL YEAH!

(this is out of place but i need to know if theres a possibility of light sparring)

ok does height really matter a heck of a lot because im about 64 inches tall and if weight really matters, which im sure it does, im about 120, so i will most likley just have to build my garb, and learn the basics, dont worry, i wont kill any 7 year old girls, but i really want to fight someone new people, and having only one friend that can fight me, really limits my options, considering, (im not bragging, dont miss understand me) but i have the advantage in most fights, and ide prefer some equal ground in a fight. but i supose i can lend some advice to the younger kids, well more advice, and of course an extra 2 weapons.
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Black Cat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:01 am

Griff, I recommend that you start out with a small red sword (4 - 4 1/2 feet) at first and move on to larger models as you get older. Swinging excessively massive swords at your young age doesn't sound like a good idea. Just a suggestion.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Tzigana » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:47 am

Actually ranged weapons are not that bad of an idea for children. Speaking from experience my oldest boy (who is now 7) has been firing a bow since he was 2 (we would hold it for him and he would release) by the age of 3 he was loading and firing it himself. The age of 2 was the start of it being done on a regular basis...prior to that it was just amusing. My youngest (who is now 3) can also load and fire his own bow. It is a question of teaching them the rules and SAFETY is always first. Both my boys have also been swinging weapons since they were old enough to walk. Zak has a mean swing with a quad hammer and Aidan is persistant and aggressive with anything he picks up.

The idea of a kids area is a good one but is hard to actually maintain and such (again from experience). One thing to keep in mind and point out ASAP is if you are doing it to watch the kids or if parents need to be a part of it.

And Griff...you do not want to be swinging at a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds full force if you are that much older. I do not know you and do not presume to assume your age but keep in mind SAFETY for all parties. If you are younger swinging a full size red can be harmful to yourself...pulled muscles are still an injury.

Unfortunately I doubt we will be a spring war...my sons' social schedule keeps up pretty busy but I do with you the best of luck Aramire and if you need suggestions or that let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sir Tzigana
aka Meredith :P
Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Tzigana
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:39 am

the problem of ranged weapons is not the archer, but what the archer hits. If a kid shoots an arrow and it hits a kid in the face you have one kid thinking he got a kill and the other crying and whining no fair.

You will have kids try hitting arrows out of the air.
You will have kids using arrows as daggers.
You will have kids crying because it hits to hard.
You will have kids crying because that kid didn't take the arrow hit even though if was deflected enough.
You will have kids throwing arrows at each other.
You will have kids who want to arch because it looks cool.
You will have kids who can't reload fast enough, thus get killed after 1 arrow.
You will have kids who don't know they got hit with a rock, or don't care
You will have kids who couldn't throw a jav correctly
You will have kids who throw javes less than a foot away

FOR SAFTEY NO MISSLE WEAPONS!

Reds are allowed only when the kid shows restraint in its use. unlike giff.

Bucklers, rounds, blues, and small greens(6' or less) are the only thing I'd allow. from ages 5 to 11. 12 to 15 are a teen group and thus get a little more leway.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Spike » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:25 am

Children should not use blue weapons.

You will have kids swinging for the head.
You will have kids trying to stab with non-green swords.
You will have kids crying because it hits too hard.
You will have kids crying because someone didn't take their hit.
You will have kids throwing swords at eachother.
You will have kids who want to fight single blue because it looks cool.
You will have kids who can't get a second swing for a combo.
You will have kids who won't know they got hit by a sword, or don't care because they're pretending to be an invincible warrior.
You will have kids who just baseball swing and can't control their shots correctly.
You will have kids swinging with the flat of the blade.

You can make ten points about any class of weapon and why children shouldn't be using them. The point of these little things are for them to learn how to do it properly.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby savetuba » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:34 am

true, but blues are safer than arrows. and not as complex as javs.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tzigana » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Hence you teach them the proper things. One thing that I noticed that has been forgotten...teaching.
But you do have a valid point savetuba...although you did just describe a good number of the supposedly "adult" fighters on the field.
Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Tzigana
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Griffolion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 pm

in this bussiness, the term, no pain no game, is one of the golden rules. unless your willing to take some pain, then you really should not be in such a heavy contact sport

with everything in belegarth, there are chances of injury. unless your willing to take the rare occuring injury, then you shouldent be in this at all
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:02 pm

true, but that doesn't mean we go onto the field looking to hurt someone. Nor does that mean we don't regulate the rules that minors will play by.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Nikkita » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:54 pm

Just out of curiousity how old are you Griffolion?
:rose: Nikkita :rose:
Dark Guard
Numenor/ Khazad-dum
Nikkita
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: Numenor
Unit: Dark Guard

Postby Griffolion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:20 pm

12, if you dont mind me asking why?
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:05 pm

it explains your point of view.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Aramire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Tzigana wrote:The idea of a kids area is a good one but is hard to actually maintain and such (again from experience). One thing to keep in mind and point out ASAP is if you are doing it to watch the kids or if parents need to be a part of it.

Unfortunately I doubt we will be a spring war...my sons' social schedule keeps up pretty busy but I do with you the best of luck Aramire and if you need suggestions or that let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sir Tzigana
aka Meredith :P

Thank you for the tips Sir Tzigana! Sorry to hear you may not make Spring War but I understand the scheduling constraints! My son will be back in sports by spring so the scheduling challenge will begin. :eek:

Parents would definately need to be involved. I thought since the kids tend to play together during the events that we might as well set a meeting point in advance and bring some extra activities to keep them entertained. All suggestions are appreciated.

If there are any teens between 12-15, who are ineligible to play, that want to get together and share "trade secrets" :) this might be a good opportunity to do that as well. I'm sure I could learn something since I am new to the game. If anyone wants to stop by that would have more knowledge in the area of combat :armor1: techniques I'm sure their input would be more than welcome.

Thanks again!
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kenneth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Griffolion wrote:in this bussiness, the term, no pain no game, is one of the golden rules. unless your willing to take some pain, then you really should not be in such a heavy contact sport

with everything in belegarth, there are chances of injury. unless your willing to take the rare occuring injury, then you shouldent be in this at all

I think this forum is primarily for parents with children. The involvement of their children in Belegarth is not necessarily to improve and win fights. The children play for fun, and simply want to swing swords.

In the main sport area, I agree with you. In the Kindren Korner? Mmm...no.

Aramire: You're married to a Numenorean knight. There are only 2 trade secrets you need to learn from him to be effective. One is the Numenorean 1-2. The other is how Angmarth uses his shield.
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Aramire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:11 pm

One is the Numenorean 1-2. The other is how Angmarth uses his shield.

Got it. Thanks!

...or should I say working on it..... :D
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Interested!

Postby Catalina » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:25 pm

I still need to check my son's school calendar and also with his boy scout troop, but we would both be interested in attending Spring War. I just looked on the events board and I noticed that they have chosen the place now. I am only 124 miles from Hidden Springs State Park (we're northeast of Champaign), so it shouldn't be too difficult to get there. This would be only our third event (if we don't make it to Wolfpack Opener).

My son is 11, turning 12 in mid-May. He has chosen a samurai character and is learning how to fight. We were at Armageddon last year and there was an impromptu "Kids tournament" that he couldn't stop talking about. There were a dozen kids involved of all age ranges. He was the oldest but he didn't mind in the least that strikes had to be very light. There were also two archers. The kids loved it and they were very "honorable" when it came to calling hits (though some did not like dying so quickly).

I would love to have a meeting place where my son could interact with other kids and perhaps get some instruction from seasoned fighters.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of lube.

Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly.
Catalina
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Catalina » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Griffolion wrote:12, if you dont mind me asking why?

Did we run into you at Octoberfest last year? My son is a samurai and I was a half-elf/half-dwarf.

Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly.
Catalina
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Interested!

Postby Aramire » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Catalina wrote:I still need to check my son's school calendar and also with his boy scout troop, but we would both be interested in attending Spring War. I just looked on the events board and I noticed that they have chosen the place now. I am only 124 miles from Hidden Springs State Park (we're northeast of Champaign), so it shouldn't be too difficult to get there. This would be only our third event (if we don't make it to Wolfpack Opener).

My son is 11, turning 12 in mid-May. He has chosen a samurai character and is learning how to fight. We were at Armageddon last year and there was an impromptu "Kids tournament" that he couldn't stop talking about. There were a dozen kids involved of all age ranges. He was the oldest but he didn't mind in the least that strikes had to be very light. There were also two archers. The kids loved it and they were very "honorable" when it came to calling hits (though some did not like dying so quickly).

I would love to have a meeting place where my son could interact with other kids and perhaps get some instruction from seasoned fighters.

Wonderful! I am glad to hear you are interested. I think we will all have a great time. My son loves to play with the other kids. He had a great time at Spring War last year playing with two boys about his age. They were brothers and were pretty good for little guys. Some of the little girls joined in as well and they held their own. They are extremely honarable when calling hits and very good about remembering all of the rules. They are so cute!!

Well, let me talk to the people running the event and we'll find out the best place to get together. Once I have the info I will post it so anyone can bring their kidos or stop by to give pointers. Still looking for a Story Teller though!!!
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Griffolion » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:48 pm

afraid not, this is my first Belegarth event, i just stated to really try to get into Belegarth a week ago, sadley, winter is not a Belegarthiens best friend.
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Denara » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:35 pm

I am also interested in getting together at Spring War if my entire family makes it. My girls are much closer in age to your boys, Aramire. :)

At Armageddon, the kids did some of their own fighting and it worked really well. Even with an archer in attendance.

Kids at Armageddon

It works, all that is really needed is one adult to help herald. Yes, there were a few tears, but not as many as you would think. I cannot report on the ages of the kids involved, but mine were 5 and 7. The 5-year-old cried when she took an arrow to the face, but not because it hurt. She was under the clear understanding that "head shots don't count" and didn't understand why she was called "dead". When we explained that the rules are different for arrows and javelins, she was fine.
Denara: Mother to Poison and Thorn
High Guard - Clan of the Hydra
Denara
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Theros the Large » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 pm

Griffolion wrote:well if its wolfpack then i shouldent have much problem finding it, umm could you bring a spare red weapon?, i want to try out a red, see if its my style of fighting.

Thanks (even if you dont bring the sword)

I have some bad news for you there sport...

Unless your parents are coming out to Springwars for the entire weekend and are willing to babysit you for the entire time you will not be allowed to attend Springwars.

It is a weekend long event and we do not allow children your age to attend unless they are with their parents.

As for the Opener.

You will be able to come out and spectate. Under no circumstances will you be on or near the battlefield.

Sorry to be harsh, but you really need to understand how important this issue is to us here in Wolfpack.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby To'Gur » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:55 am

Theros is fair and just, keep his words in mind, they are not to hinder you but to help you
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby Aramire » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 am

Denara wrote:I am also interested in getting together at Spring War if my entire family makes it. My girls are much closer in age to your boys, Aramire. :)

Great! I am glad to hear it. I know my son, Trent, had a great time playing with Thorn and Poison on occasion in the past. Hope to see you there and I will let everyone know once I get the details of a possible location to meet.

Thanks Denara and great picture of the kidos too!
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Catalina » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 am

Hey thanks for the pic Denara!! That is my son (real name Killian, persona name Maethor) on the far right with the blue kite shield. He's 11.

Last year's Geddon was our first event ever. We only came out for the last two days but he picked up on the rules lightning fast and loved fighting.

Can't wait for Geddon again this year. But I'll bet Spring War will be most excellent as well. Our calendar is clear and we should both be there the entire week.

Catalina
Recruit
Recruit

Place to meet

Postby Aramire » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Sorry everyone but I have not heard back for approval of the meeting place for Spring War. I am proposing that we meet at the back right edge of the field. There was a small gravel/grass area that we were in last year that worked quite well.

I will keep you posted but if I don't hear then I will repost next week with a better description of the meeting place and we will try to stay out of the way of the event's activities. I will bring some drinks in a cooler for the kids. I will also bring something for them to make necklaces with. Maybe something they can paint. Still working on the idea but it will be for boys and girls. I am working on a few game ideas as well. Do let me know if you want to bring anything or have ideas.

Either way the kids will enjoy meeting each other and playing together. Hopefully we will get some of the experienced :armor1: players to stop by (HINT, HINT :D ) to give some tips/tactics to the older kids.

Thanks everyone and I hope to see you there!
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jikanta » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Beth (Kegg's daughter) is 11 and was thinking of doing some babysitting at Spring War on Saturday. Is there anything official going on with babysitting and/or kids fighting groups that she needs to coordinate with? She will be glad to help.
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Aramire » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Jikanta wrote:Beth (Kegg's daughter) is 11 and was thinking of doing some babysitting at Spring War on Saturday. Is there anything official going on with babysitting and/or kids fighting groups that she needs to coordinate with? She will be glad to help.

Nothing official and keep in mind this is not for parents to use as babysitting (was asked to clarify that earlier). I have not heard back from anyone regarding approval even though it is really just a place for the kidos to met and play together. I will post details of the location this week pending approval from the event coordinators.

That being said, since there isn't anything official it's really open to suggestions. I wasn't sure how many kids or "age restricted players" :armor1: there would be joining us.

Let get some ideas floating but keep it simple. Since there can not be any "REAL" fighting everyone that participates will be playing at their own risk. (just covering my butt :D )

I am bringing juice and water in a cooler. I am also bringing jewelry cord and leather pieces to make necklaces, paint and anything else I can think of.

Thoughts about organizing some games or additional activities involving "sword play" would be great. We can role play a bit if the kids like that, or we can revamp some old favorites. Post your ideas...

I think knowledge transfer from some of the most noble knights :armor1: or maybe the most kid/young adult friendly players ;) would be great. (HINT: That means please STOP BY and see us to anyone who is brave enough - hehe)

Jikanta I would be honored to have you stop in and I think Beth would have a great time!
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Arrival Times for the "kids play area"

Postby Aramire » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 pm

We are staying in a hotel close by so we will get in late Thursday evening. I think we will be going home late Saturday night. If anyone is arriving sooner and wants to still get together please do so. Maybe someone will speak up and organize some things for the kidos earlier in the week. Up to you guys...

Maybe next we can also make a kid friendly :angel: camp fire. Free of ADULT :devil: conversations or activities, if you know what I mean. Some place for the kidos to hang out, roast marshmallows, have story telling and music. It would be great. I will work on that for next time.....

I know we may have a small group at this point but either way you have to start some where right? I will pull the map from work tomorrow and post it. I will also list times that I plan on being there.

Hope to see you there.....
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Kid Meeting Place at Spring War

Postby Aramire » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Sorry for the delay but here is the map showing the area that we will meet at for the kidos to play at Spring War.

Hope to see everyone there! I will be in the location shortly after weapons check on Friday and Saturday. Stop by with your kids but don't leave without them :D ! Make sure to bring your ideas, toys, swords :armor1: , games :target: , crafts, etc and we will have a great time
Queen Aramire
Tera Hockaday
Aramire
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Non Combatants