Sideline activities

Discussion for activities for non-coms

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sideline activities

Postby Iorek » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:12 am

So a lot of our fighters in the area are having or have had kids in the past few years. This has highlighted the fact to me that not only are there not a lot of activities for non-coms but for kids as well.

I'd like to take influence from the SCA and come up with a system of activities for non-coms and kids to do during practices and events. This would include craft and sciences as well as coming up with age apropriate combat activities for kids. I'm going to push the parents in my realm to get involved so we can experiment with this on a local level.

Things to bare in mind while using A group like the SCA as an example: the SCA is better funded to handle such things as background checks on people responsible to watch other people's children. They also allow kids to do combat using OUR weapons combined with armor.

Okay enough from me, what do you guys think?
"Marshmallow Peeps: so good their like breaking a man's will, snapping his mind and slurping down his soul."- Cthulhu

"You know if I sit on my hand for five minutes and slap you with it, it feel like someone else do it," - Iorek to goblin.

"Cool, I don't mind people thinking we're orks, I just don't want them thinking we're illiterate"- Iorek to fellow uruk.
Iorek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Jan 2005
Realm: rausumea
Unit: uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Re: Sideline activities

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

I think its a great idea and it is a direction that we really need to head in. This can't just be a sport for college kids. We need to accommodate people who aren't capable of combat or who now have families.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby seldon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:27 pm

My experience is as the kids get older (8 or up) they will want to participate. If you can't have an equally fun activity going on the side, you end up with angry kids (because they feel left out) and angry parents (because they feel they can't actual participate and must manage kids all the time).

I recommend for kids ages 8 and up is for there to be kids groups just for kids. That way the kids have there own dedicated activities and time. I suggest not having them at the same time or place.

Something like: http://www.adventuresforyouth.com

Then as a parent do not feel obligated to bring your kids to fighting because you know they have there own fight time. This also means that you need to create play dates or child care when you are at Belegarth. But in the end I think everyone has more fun.
seldon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Mar 1983

Postby Reverend » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm

seldon wrote:My experience is as the kids get older (8 or up) they will want to participate. If you can't have an equally fun activity going on the side, you end up with angry kids (because they feel left out) and angry parents (because they feel they can't actual participate and must manage kids all the time).

I recommend for kids ages 8 and up is for there to be kids groups just for kids. That way the kids have there own dedicated activities and time. I suggest not having them at the same time or place.

Something like: http://www.adventuresforyouth.com

Then as a parent do not feel obligated to bring your kids to fighting because you know they have there own fight time. This also means that you need to create play dates or child care when you are at Belegarth. But in the end I think everyone has more fun.

I say this as a part-time father of two wonderful kids (age seven and age six), that we've been considering taking with us to events.

My biggest problem with this absolutely fantastic idea, is that we then have to borrow a huge page from the SCA to facilitate this. Note: I'm not saying that it would be bad to borrow, but the logistical aspect of it is pretty daunting.

The SCA requires full background checks, etc., on those that work with the "children's groups". They maintain a lot of bureaucracy infrastructure to support the program. And (unless my information is wrong on this) they have a highly increased insurance rate for it.

Now, we could totally go that route, and as more of us join the ranks of parenthood, I'm sure we'll see an increased demand for something like this. But at present, the population doesn't really support it. Belegarth is primarily the young adult, single (or at least no-kids) crowd. And the systemic implementation of this... I don't have the energy for it.

Though, finding something like adventuresforyouth pre-available would be awesome.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Iorek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 am

There in lies the issue. We'll always be a sport of single, no kid or college level adult participating sport because as many of us start having families you run into people either slowing down their attendance because of kids or switching sports because the SCA is better suited for family participation.

Mind you this isn't the case with everyone. I have seen plenty of people bringing kids to events. I'm merely suggesting we come up with a better solution to people progressing in life then,

"You should keep your kids at camp"

Or

"It's better you find a babysitter and leave them at home"

This also isn't just about the kids. I don't bring my wife to events because frankly there's nothing for her to do and I don't expect her to spend her weekend watching me fight.

I will agree that the sport isn't ready to implement something like this, which is why in only working on this at a local level. If it works great! I'll spread the word and hopefully it'll get picked up by other realms. If it fails, we'll it didn't hurt to try
"Marshmallow Peeps: so good their like breaking a man's will, snapping his mind and slurping down his soul."- Cthulhu

"You know if I sit on my hand for five minutes and slap you with it, it feel like someone else do it," - Iorek to goblin.

"Cool, I don't mind people thinking we're orks, I just don't want them thinking we're illiterate"- Iorek to fellow uruk.
Iorek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Jan 2005
Realm: rausumea
Unit: uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Return to Non Combatants