Maile Armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Maile Armor

Postby Alabraxis » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:37 pm

For anyone interested in weaving your own Chainmaile armor, here's a couple links I found to be of great use:

http://www.mailleartisans.org Lots of information on all sorts of different weaves, whether you want it for armor or you want it for jewelry, this site has a lot of good resources.

http://theringlord.com/ Possibly the very best source for rings of all kinds. He has a good assortment of sizes and gauges as well as nice descriptors like "Armor Grade" and "Super Armor Grade."
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Remus » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm

It is a lot cheaper to make your own rings than to buy them.As soon as I get the chance(and remember to do so,It's hell to get old) I will get some pictures of my coiling rig on here.
Captain to House Dregoth
HKK:Official Bun Inspector

Trample the weak.
Hurdle the dead.
Remus
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 17 Aug 2000
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Combat Archer

Postby Syrus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:13 pm

3/4" dowel with a groove cut in one side. Works wonders, I assure you.
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Alabraxis » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 pm

how cheap are we talking for each ring? and if you guys would be so kind as to share your prefered cutting method, i believe we would all be appreciative. please, give us a ring cutting/making tutorial if you would.
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alabraxis » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:22 pm

how many rings can you get out of 166' of .048" diameter (approximately 18 gauge) galvanized steel wire? 3/4" ID rings and 1/2" ID rings?
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Barahir Ingem » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Alabraxis wrote:how many rings can you get out of 166' of .048" diameter (approximately 18 gauge) galvanized steel wire? 3/4" ID rings and 1/2" ID rings?

In 18 gauge, 1/2" and (especially) 3/4" rings would be extremely weak. Even if they weren't failed by the checkers for distortion (they should be), you'd spend a tremendous amount of time on maintenance. I don't spin anything larger than 1/4" ID from 18 gauge. I recommend 12 gauge for the 1/2" and 10 gauge for the 3/4" rings. Remember, if you can bend the ring with your fingers, it won't pass muster.

B. of E.U.
Barahir Ingem
Langdan uin Forod

barahir@bigfoot.com
Barahir Ingem
Thug
Thug

Return to The Armory