Armor Rules

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Armor Rules

Postby Stahlgrim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am

# 2 here is my reasoning as anyone who wears chain can atest the weight of it falls mostly on the shoulders, if you wear a tight belt you can get some of it onto the hips ,but I digress,Plate is attached to different areas of the body; greaves on the legs,vambraces on the arms, ect.so the weight is distributed better and the wearer feels like they are hauling less weight around. at least thats my experience.ymmv.
Stahlgrim
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 1989
Unit: vondrackenklaue
Favorite Fighting Styles: all

Postby D-9-13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Arrakis wrote:Tevas, cotton haks, and T-tunics don't grant an in-game advantage, nor do they appear to. THAT's the difference, jackass.

Thats why the discussion was originally about the description of ARMOUR MATERIALS being period...thus the discussion of why clothing was not required to be period... read the thread to figure out the real point of the discussion, even if it is old.......it's always nice when someone can step up the maturity level of a discussion...thanks for being the one to take it in a nice downward direction Arrakis...makes the world a better place for everyone... :unsure:
Last edited by D-9-13 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:10 pm

This thread was useful almost 4 years ago. Now it's just douchey.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Wence » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm an avid armourer, and I would like to put in a plug that I actually like most of these rules - the only thing I think is that plate ought to give a little more of an advantage, but that would complicate things. I like these rules because they define the parameters I can work in, giving me elements of design to work with. As a designer I hate complete freedom because I don't know what to do with it. Any limitations by their nature define what one can do with designs, and allow someone to creatively apply them. That's my two cents!
Wence
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2007
Realm: Jericho

Postby No'Vak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Oh god.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Thorondor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:52 am

Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby SerisFoxglove » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Odd for my first post in the society however it is somethingof interest to me having rad most of the by-laws of the armor rules.

Personally I couldnt care less about the materials of armor so long as it provides equal protection because they didnt have rubber-foam swords in what now everyone is referring to as a "period".
However they did use practice weapons by wrapping wasters with down and cloth so same difference.

Also, As for the SCA reference earlier in this thread, I also have fought there and it does make a difference, my main reason for using plastic armor was because it was a cheap material for lamellar armor.
, steel etc
I say this much. Do Strike Testing with real steel weapons and see which material you would rather wear.
Also, modern clothing does make a difference in fighting as in this time you all are referring to as "period" most clothing was actually made from wool in europe, not cotton. Silk has always been a common thin for asia, however so has cotton, but it was styled very, very differently.

As for the standard armor rules, do STRIKE TESTING on the base materials (plywood, steel etc) for specifics. This is what we did in the MCRS in Pocatello, which I already know has no basis in Bel, but stfu and listen for a bit. it helped make rules that made sense.
Also, think about changing some of these rules because of the economy being the way it is. think of plastic armor providing a soak 1 hit instead of soak 2 for plate.

seriously, you would find alot more people willing to play.
The shadowfox from Shannara.
SerisFoxglove
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 May 2010
Realm: Shannara
Unit: free
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms, Dual Wield

Postby Caleidah » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm

SerisFoxglove wrote:Odd for my first post in the society however it is somethingof interest to me having rad most of the by-laws of the armor rules.

Personally I couldnt care less about the materials of armor so long as it provides equal protection because they didnt have rubber-foam swords in what now everyone is referring to as a "period".
However they did use practice weapons by wrapping wasters with down and cloth so same difference.

Also, As for the SCA reference earlier in this thread, I also have fought there and it does make a difference, my main reason for using plastic armor was because it was a cheap material for lamellar armor.
, steel etc
I say this much. Do Strike Testing with real steel weapons and see which material you would rather wear.
Also, modern clothing does make a difference in fighting as in this time you all are referring to as "period" most clothing was actually made from wool in europe, not cotton. Silk has always been a common thin for asia, however so has cotton, but it was styled very, very differently.

As for the standard armor rules, do STRIKE TESTING on the base materials (plywood, steel etc) for specifics. This is what we did in the MCRS in Pocatello, which I already know has no basis in Bel, but stfu and listen for a bit. it helped make rules that made sense.
Also, think about changing some of these rules because of the economy being the way it is. think of plastic armor providing a soak 1 hit instead of soak 2 for plate.

seriously, you would find alot more people willing to play.

If you don't like it, oops, too bad. "Period," for anything but armor, has always referred to a style or appearance. Yeah, they didn't use cotton. We have access to it, though, and might as well make use of cheap, lightweight materials in that regard.

The reason that plastic is not allowed for armor is that armor is not a requirement. Those who want to wear it have to go through a few more rings to make their stuff legal. Is it a pain that someone can't walk on with SCA picklebarrel gear? Maybe for them, but not for everyone else with the benefits that their armor gives them. Given that there is no distinction between armor types (meaning ALL forms of armor only soak one hit), it would necessitate the implementation of a whole new chain of rules to make your lovely little idea work.

Less QQ, more making stuff to fit our rule set.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 am

Also, keep in mind that we're not building a game from the ground up here. Belegarth has been around for a decade and is heavily based on Dagorhir, which dates back to the mid-70s.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Thorondor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm

I've gotta agree...why listen when we're not building from the ground up? Fit our rules or fit another's. Don't try to change the thousands of people who play this game in your first two posts.

Edit: removed part about necroing since the thread is stickied
Last edited by Thorondor on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:56 pm

It's not really considered necroing when the post is stickied.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Thorondor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Holy cow, this is stickied? Didn't even see that...oh well, off to edit my other post.

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Darkspawn leader » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:34 pm

what about motorcross armor
is that legal
Darkspawn leader
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2010
Realm: fortriu
Unit: darkspawn
Favorite Fighting Styles: blizkreg
sword and shield

Postby Thorondor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:39 pm

If you read the BOW...or this thread...you'd realize that your armor needs to be period to count as armor. If you had medical need, you could wear motocross armor as protective gear, but that would be a really weird case to be able to motocross and fight and need that much protective gear.

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dondarian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Darkspawn leader wrote:what about motorcross armor
is that legal

Did you even read this thread?
Tiberius Claudius wrote:Gotta love how Fork just sets the record straight 8)

Garb, Foam, and Beer
Dondarian
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2010
Realm: Acheron
Unit: Undecided
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working on single blue.

Postby SerisFoxglove » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:03 pm

I understand that we are not building a game from the ground up, however I have noticed that thigs change with the times. Everything does. Admittedly i am suggesting a radical change of the rules, however this would make armor more beneficial towards the drawbacks. For example if you expend the time and finances to craft a suit of full plate armor and only get a soak 1 hit from it wouldnt you be rather upset? I mean that would upset just about anyone that I know. Admittedly armor isnt required, and since it only grants a soak 1 hit why wouldnt it be allowed to be made of non-period materials (BTW in order to be truly period all armor would have to be made of either spring steel or iron, both of which are expensive.)
SerisFoxglove
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Embara Cayosin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Thorondor wrote:Image
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby SerisFoxglove » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Embara Cayosin wrote:
Thorondor wrote:Image

Post is stickied, thus is an open discussion
SerisFoxglove
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 pm

SerisFoxglove wrote:I understand that we are not building a game from the ground up, however I have noticed that thigs change with the times. Everything does. Admittedly i am suggesting a radical change of the rules, however this would make armor more beneficial towards the drawbacks. For example if you expend the time and finances to craft a suit of full plate armor and only get a soak 1 hit from it wouldnt you be rather upset? I mean that would upset just about anyone that I know. Admittedly armor isnt required, and since it only grants a soak 1 hit why wouldnt it be allowed to be made of non-period materials (BTW in order to be truly period all armor would have to be made of either spring steel or iron, both of which are expensive.)

You hit the exact reason why your reasoning wouldn't work in your own post. Armor is not required. Because of this, we can be more restrictive in what people use for it. Why? Since it is not required, provides a tangible benefit and can still be cheesed to fit within the letter of the law and still not provide much, if any, resistance, we require that it be a "period" material. The reason that it does not upset the people that make metal plate in our game is that they know what they are getting into when they make or order it. It might anger cross gamers, yes, but we conform to their rules when we play their game and can reasonably expect the same of them.

As far as "proper" period materials, you will note once again that "period" is based on a style or motif. In this instance, "period" is a setup that is close to what was realistic but not unattainable by modern standards. The leather and metal are easily attainable but require some work to be usable. Once again, armor is a straight up benefit. We are not the SCA. There is absolutely no required equipment to play Belegarth, though common decency is encouraged. For that reason, there is no reason to allow any materials that would allow for armor rules to be stretched even thinner. Thus, things like plastic armor and azon mail will continue to be illegal until the flow of the game changes more dramatically.

In the future, I would still recommend logging in a bit more frequently to keep up with your own posts. To the people that posted "thread necro," come on.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm

No. Discusion over. We will not change the rules.
It isn't going to happen, We don't discuss it becuase the people who make these decisions are long etablished realm leaders and very experienced players. We, having been around in the foam fighting comunity since it's very inception have a great apreciation for the way time change and rules change with them.
We also understand the nature of rule systems in mass game play, that is battle with over 100-200 people. A game with multilevel armor points is a totaly differnt kind of game from belegarth. You are obviously to **** ignorant to get that.
We do not want to play a larp combat game like amygard. We sure ad **** don't want to start with weapons acting realistic, which is the next discusion after multi level armor.
You should come to the big city and play some gay LARP, there's tons of 'em here. You can be a 100 hit point super palidin or whatever there.
But here, we keep it simple and elegant. I hit you, you die.
Easy Squeazy
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:40 pm

One thing that many people don't consider when thinking about our armor rules is that the benefit of wearing armor is not insignificant. People often say something along the lines of, "It's only one extra hit!"

True, but one hit is very significant in our game. Wearing armor doubles the number of strikes required to disable the target zone. Are you sure you want to tell me that's not significant?
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Purgatory » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:18 pm

so i feel like im coming in a little too late but i did have a question and didnt want to start another thread.

so i have misunderstood teh armor horribly and i have a few questions now that the thread didnt answer or i wasnt sure of

first is copper period. if wanted to do different pieces with it if itd be allowed. or what about brass too?

second i have a pair of leather boots.. no its not the 3/16 leather its fashion but they come to my knee- would that count as leather armor? yes it looks like real leather but i dont think it is.

third, i wasnt clear on the chain mail rings.. can they be the aluminum? or was that what was meant when yalls said aluminum armor was not legal?

and last about the helm.. were a viking group and the viking helms cover the nose and what not (http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/n ... pangen.jpg) so how do i go about doing that with out having too much metal on the head? any suggestions would be nice.
im new at this armor stuff and our group is doing a lot of leather which i can do ok but some were asking about metals and how to convert sports "armor" to legal armor
Poppy the daughter of Lord Greed, Admin to Purgatory in Grimmwood.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2008
Realm: Grimmwood
Unit: Purgatory
Favorite Fighting Styles: we have it all-even rocks

Postby Thorondor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Copper, brass, bronze = legal
Aluminum = illegal
Leather that's not 3/16" thick in 1 or 2 layers = not armor.
Leather that's not real leather = not armor.

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Purgatory » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:42 am

3.6.2. A Combatant wearing plastic safety equipment is treated as leather Armor for grappling purposes only.
it doesnt say it cant show. so why does the BoW say it has to be period yet i read farther and there's this... im confused again can someone clear it up for me?
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:14 am

It means that if you are wearing hard plastic knees or elbows, or like a motocross chests plate, you are restricted to grappling people in Leather, chain or plate armor. You may NOT grapple people who are unarmored.

Plastic safety equipment should always be covered unless it is imposible and you NEED it to fight. But I've never seen anything that could not be covered by garb.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Thorondor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 am

accursedoffenrir wrote:3.6.2. A Combatant wearing plastic safety equipment is treated as leather Armor for grappling purposes only.

I underlined the reason that this rule is in there. Fork covered the details, but I wanted to point out the last part of the rule. Every rule needs to be fully read, don't just read the first half of the rule and expect to fully understand it.

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Purgatory » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 pm

so new question armor geniuses! what about fur....it has leather under it and period.. is it legal armor .. we are vikings and all and its just leather with soft fuzzies on it.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Postby Arrakis » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:21 pm

You will be unable to find armor-grade-leather-backed furred hides.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby No'Vak » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 am

Take your fur. Put it on leather armor. Bam.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby SeanDarkskul » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 am

I need clarification regarding the bit on scale armor. my armor is all scales so it fits the requirement for coverage, its also real leather. most of the scales are just short of 3/16 but its is double layered everywhere but the edges (neckhole, bottom of cuirass, edge of sleeves, etc.) so basically all but a 3/4 of an inch strip around the edges is thick enough. is this armor?
SeanDarkskul
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 1996
Realm: I Anga Emyn
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B,ball and wall, florentine

Postby Derian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 am

If your description is accurate, then yes.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby SeanDarkskul » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:40 pm

ok thanks alot derian, I plan on attending samhain and dont want to carry 10 pounds or so of armor only to have it fail.
SeanDarkskul
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 1996
Realm: I Anga Emyn
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B,ball and wall, florentine

Previous

Return to The Armory