HoRdE Armor Pics!

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

HoRdE Armor Pics!

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:01 am

Armor of Zzyzx: (Leather Armor +5, Spell Resistant, perpetually casts Circle of Protection: Drama, Range 10' )

The 2nd pic also shows the leg armor: strap on top goes around waist, each leg also has a strap.

Zzyzx

Postby kohntre » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:09 am

was all work by you? details please on the basket weave.
kohntre
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Kyshadd » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 am

Very Nice!!

how is your flexability with the solid brestplate piece? didyou do anything to soften the leather? i LOVE the basket weave skirt piece. makes me want to re-think a current design i've been working on....

Love it!!
Kyshadd del Wynter
Hyden-Gahl
Kyshadd
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:31 am

kohntre wrote:was all work by you? details please on the basket weave.

None of the work on this piece was by me. Dead River is very fortunate to have a very talented friend, Greg Powers, who has a passion for leather work that many of us commission our armor pieces through (and are learning the art from him over time). As far as details on the basket weave, you can get a better idea of how it's done if you look at the armor inside out. The woven leather strips are affixed to the solid leather backing via rivets:

Kyshadd wrote:how is your flexability with the solid brestplate piece? didyou do anything to soften the leather? i LOVE the basket weave skirt piece. makes me want to re-think a current design i've been working on....

As far as flexibility of the breast piece I have no problems. It's actually 2 pieces of softer leather sewn together. It exceeds armor grade thickness, and still allows movement. The skirt has been awesome, the only issue I've had is that it covers the front and back but leaves my upper legs open, which is why I now have the additional leg armor. The next project is greaves and new bracers.

I'll get more pics to post of Dead River Horde's Armor/Greg's collection as soon as I can. Feel free to post if you want any up close shots of specific pieces to see how something is made.
Last edited by Zzyzx on Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zzyzx

Postby Kalor » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm

I see the strap down the middle on the pauldrons, but are the individual pieces of the pauldrons riveted together on the sides of the pauldron?
Kalor
Traveler of Times Past

"Sometimes I do what I want to, the rest of the time I do what I have to."
Kalor
Underling
Underling

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Kalor wrote:I see the strap down the middle on the pauldrons, but are the individual pieces of the pauldrons riveted together on the sides of the pauldron?

Here are some closer pics:

My armor was done a year ago, since then Greg has improved the way he does pauldrons (although mine have had no issues how they are built).
Zzyzx

Postby Mefit the Merciless » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:57 am

Some more of Greg's work...

on Koom

and Vokor
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Secretary of Dur Demarion
"Hey! You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron"
Viking Bastards: Combating Turdary since the 9th century
Mefit the Merciless
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 30 Mar 2002
Realm: Dur-De South
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Hey.. How can I get contact to greg so he can make me some armor. Because I have no clue lol.. I got that dragon armor he made . But I'd like this armor.

Soar high with PHOENIX!
lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 11- 0-1985

Postby Black Cat » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:42 pm

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

IT'S A THREAD NECROMANCER!

Watch out for the thread zombie!

Braaiiiiiiins, Fresh Brains!!!
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Drizzi » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 am

is thst achilles on his CELLPHONE!

No No
No NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

uGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWAGHHHHHHHHHHHGSDFFFFFFFF

IM ATHREAD ZOMBIE

LOL
Warlord of Torkan shyelves
Brute stealthy
Drizzi
Underling
Underling

Postby Drizzi » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 am

is thst achilles on his CELLPHONE!

No No
No NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

uGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWAGHHHHHHHHHHHGSDFFFFFFFF

IM ATHREAD ZOMBIE

LOL
Brute stealthy
Drizzi
Underling
Underling

Postby Elebrim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 am

I cast CoP: Stupidity, thereby preventing Thread Spam.

Anyway... Phoenix, I would suggest you get a lot of work done on your fighting before worrying about armor. Even with the best suit of armor, a newbie will be pwned only slightly less quickly by veterans. Find people to work with and practice, build up your character work, then start designing your armor and specialty fun. The best fighters aren't the best because of cool stuff, but because of the ground work they put down on their fighting first. Sure, armor helps, but it doesn't replace skill on any level.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey. I may not be the best fighter on the field. But I am a decent fighter.. I am no newb. Even the greatest fighters have their falls.
Soar high with PHOENIX!
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Spike » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I think your greatest fall is trying to be an exact replica of Brad Pitt as Achilles.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm not trying to be Brad pitt.. Trying to be achilles lol.. Achilles was..Is the greatest warrior that ever walked on the battlle field. Does it really matter that I'm trying to carry his legacy? I mean honestly.. It may be an insult towards him in a way.. In away It's not..
Soar high with PHOENIX!
Toadie
Toadie

Postby kade » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:34 pm

well if you are really trying to look like achilles that is probibly not the armor you would want.
kade
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: god * squad

Postby lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:07 pm

What would you sugest which armor?
Soar high with PHOENIX!
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Dabbanoth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 pm

this man needs a good dose of pride and testosterone
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Elebrim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:22 pm

lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio wrote:Hey. I may not be the best fighter on the field. But I am a decent fighter.. I am no newb. Even the greatest fighters have their falls.

Well, I've never seen you on the field before, so I apologize for jumping to conclusions about your tenure. My bad.

And I agree with Kade. Do a little research into Greco-Roman armor styles and come up with a design that is a little more game plausible. People try to mimic famous armor all the time (High Elven battle skirts, Roman legionnaires, etc.), and usually they have to adapt the design to work with what the game allows. One of the downfalls I see to that specific chest armor design is that there are almost no joints or articulating pieces to it; you wouldn't be able to bend or twist your torso almost at all. And also, a solid piece of armor like that made out of 3/8" to 1/4" leather will get HOT; the stuff retains heat like no other. Not to mention breaking it in is going to be a pain. Even with my new pauldrons, which only go down about 2/3 of my forearm, my right bicep is chewed red from last practice. Chafing will, however, make you more sensitive to hit taking, so I suppose it's a win/lose situation.

Sorry for ranting a bit. If you can figure out a way to get it to work, go for it by all means. What experience I have in armor work, however, tells me that you will have a REALLY hard time with it. I'd suggest experimenting with more basic pieces, like bracers or greaves, to get the basics down and then work your way up from there to the decorative body armor.

Kudos to your motivation, though. Few people have a clear goal as to how they want their character to work in the end, so I applaud your enthusiasm.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

hmm

Postby 孙悟安 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 pm

don't apologize about questioning his "tenure." if someone has to assert themselves as a vet/experienced fighter, they probably aren't or aren't considered such for a reason.

my two cents.
孙悟安
白脸家
孙悟安
Monkey
Monkey

Postby lord_sworn_phoenix_warrio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Hey I never said I'm the best fighter on the field... I'm decent. I have a long way to go before I call myself a great fighter..
Soar high with PHOENIX!
Toadie
Toadie

Postby wulfgar » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:00 pm

if you want to look like the real Achilles, all you neeed is a helmet, greaves and a shield,,, nothing else. Your torso would be naked. Acilles didn't need armor, he was a demi-god, plus there are old frescos, and vases that show him without armor.
wulfgar
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tulio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Yay, i agree. or at least invest in a tooga
Barron Von Tulio

Sir Tulio the Imposing
Tulio
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2005
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Postby Drizzi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:14 am

i made achilles armor from the movie and the real thing and i was imbaressed to go on to the field because the man skirt was so short if idi any of my acrobatic moves it would revel some privacy y know and thats no cool

SOOO i think Pheonix u should tr to customize your greekk roman or trojan armor historically arcruate not from th movie the only arrcurassy is the helm swoards and sheild the stuff tha would be intact after 1111110000 years however brad pitt does a horrible job at afflickting the real Demi-God so read up ont achilles and other famous warroirs from that time then make your armor and wepons
Brute stealthy
Drizzi
Underling
Underling

Postby Drizzi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:16 am

[quote="is plus there are old frescos, and vases that show him without armor.[/quote]

EWWWWWWWWWEWWEWEWEWEWWEWEWEWEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWthast is so wrong speakin of naked did u know that gladius were the word gladiator comes from means erct penis in greek
Brute stealthy
Drizzi
Underling
Underling

Postby Drizzi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:16 am

[quote="is plus there are old frescos, and vases that show him without armor.[/quote]

EWWWWWWWWWEWWEWEWEWEWWEWEWEWEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWthast is so wrong speakin of naked did u know that gladius were the word gladiator comes from means erct penis in greek
Brute stealthy
Drizzi
Underling
Underling

Postby kade » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:36 am

Pro tip stop posting stuff that 1)no one care about 2)make not sense to the average sober person. just a thought
kade
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: god * squad

i agree

Postby Enderonimus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:16 am

i agree. my head hurts trying to make sense of that gibberish.
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2005

Postby Etrigan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Zzyzx on your armor is the leather softer where the buckles are or is it the same toughness as in the center?
Etrigan
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Zzyzx » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Same as the center. The most rigid pieces in the armor are the pieces that make up the pauldrons and the upper leg armor.
Zzyzx

Postby wulfgar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm pretty sure gladius just means "sword". But Drizzi, judging from your posts, you look like you know what you are talking about. SO who am I to argue, I'm new here.
Oh, and gladius is Latin, not greek.
wulfgar
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dragon of Fire » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 pm

wulfgar wrote:I'm pretty sure gladius just means "sword". But Drizzi, judging from your posts, you look like you know what you are talking about. SO who am I to argue, I'm new here.
Oh, and gladius is Latin, not greek.

Gladius is just that, the LATIN word for SWORD.
Gladiator came FROM gladius, is also Latin, and means swordsman or "one who uses a sword"

also, drizzi doesnt seem to care if he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, just spamming up the boards. he's a 12 year old with an atitude (sp) basically.

on topic....
for armor, i have to agree with kade a little bit
half elf rogue

Just tell your father you couldn't avenge his death because you were too busy getting stoned. He'll understand. |N|I|N|J|A|S|My Anti-Drug
Dragon of Fire
Backstabber
Backstabber

Return to The Armory