Tips for making a Leather facecovering.

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tips for making a Leather facecovering.

Postby Taau » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:17 pm

So I want to make a leather face covering. Something that goes from like my hairline and circles the face. The opening would be like a capital T with the arms over my eyes. Im thinking it would be held on by straps in the back. Now my only problem is I have never worked with leather and I have no idea how I would put this together.

Thanks in advance, Taau
Taau
Recruit
Recruit

Leather

Postby Bothvar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:22 am

If you've got your design figured out, that's half the battle. Now you've got to decide if you want it pliable or hard. Pliable; soak in cold water after you cut out the shape, 30 mins to an hour. Towel off & shape as you like. Hard; soak in water as hot as you can barely stand to put your hand in, time & shaping, same rules. Straps are up to you; buckles, d-rings, o-rings, or if you don't mind cheesy - elastic (not at all period though). The easiest is good old fashioned ties, leather shoe lace works fine.
Luck in battle
-Viking proverb
Bothvar
Underling
Underling

Postby Izanaki » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:02 pm

if you havent planned on it yet, you may want to have it come down, and go beneath your chin a bit, simply so it will hold there better, and while you run, the face covering then wont ride up your face and your trying to look out of a very small slit, meant for your nose or what not.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Return to The Armory