Weight of Leather to use...

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Weight of Leather to use...

Postby Kitsufox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:54 pm

It's going to be a slow process, but Vago and I are starting to think about putting together armor.

We've decided that Leather is definetly the way for us to go, but we have yet to work out exactly what WEIGHT of leather is needed for leagal armor. Most places sell based on the weight, and not the thickness (which is what is covered by the rules...)

In short: What weight of leather would I need to purchase to make leagal armor with a single layer?
Kitsufox
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Order of the Eternal Flame

Postby Spork » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:59 pm

A leathers weight (I think), is roughly equal to each ounce is equal to 1/64s of an inch.

So, 24 ounce leather would be roughly 24/64's of an inch > 3/8's of an inch.

The BoW states:

3.5. The minimum thickness for leather Armor is 3/16 inch. The minimum thickness requirement can be achieved by layering up to two pieces of thinner leather.

This means you need roughly 12 ounce leather, if I did the math right. I'd suggest going for at least 13-14 to be safe.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Yes

Postby Calarn the Black » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:26 am

12 oz. is the minimun weight for armour-grade leather. You can also layer up to two peices to get 12 oz. thickn
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Derian » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:33 am

Yep.

Typically armor tends to be of the 13 - 14 oz range in my experience.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Kitsufox » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:00 am

Thank you all.
I couldn't find a website that seemed reliable that gave an Once to weight translation.

Now I can figure out how much money needs to be pulled together for armor ;)
Kitsufox
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kitsufox » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 am

Thank you all.
I couldn't find a website that seemed reliable that gave an Once to weight translation.

Now I can figure out how much money needs to be pulled together for armor ;)
Kitsufox
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Spork » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Always check on Tandy Leather, because they have great deals every once in awhile!

I'm sure there are other places, I just don't know them.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

The Leather Factory

Postby Calarn the Black » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:04 am

The Leather Factory, owned and operated by Tandy Leather, usually has larger thickness sides on sale around fall. The sides we normally use are regularly $120 with a wholesale account. You can also get everything you could need besides leather, including rivets, dye, straps, buckles, laces, etc.
Here's the site
www.leatherfactory.com
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

The Leather Factory

Postby Calarn the Black » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:04 am

The Leather Factory, owned and operated by Tandy Leather, usually has larger thickness sides on sale around fall. The sides we normally use are regularly $120 with a wholesale account. You can also get everything you could need besides leather, including rivets, dye, straps, buckles, laces, etc.
Here's the site
www.leatherfactory.com
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cat » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:57 am

If you are going to be spending a decent amount at Tandy, you may want to look into signing up for their wholesale discount. I think it costs around $30 to $35 to sign up for the discount, but once you do, you get EVERYTHING at wholesale prices. Plus, you get a free tooling....errr...tool every month, and those are $8 each. I have just recently signed up, and if I remeber correctly, the 13 to 15 ounce sides that I have been getting are around $80 with the discount, where normally they are $149 I think. (I'm not entirely sure about the "normal" price on those as I have always bought them on sale.)

Like Calam mentioned, they do seem to have those sides on sale fairly regularly if you would rather not spend the extra for the wholesale club.

Once you have your leather, check out House of the Wolf (on the net) and look in his gallery section. At the bottom of the page, there is a tutorial for making hardened leather greaves, which goes into a good amount of detail concerning the hardening and shaping process. Dan (owner/operator of HotW) is a very nice guy and would probably answer any questions you might have about making leather armour.

Cat
Cat
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:33 pm

At Tandy/The Leather Factory you need to look for "Select Saddle Skirting". This is what they call thier armor grade leather(13- 15 oz) when it's on sale. It goes onsale every few months, not just in the fall. When it's on sale it is $70 for a side. HALF PRICE. The Lather Factory store in SLC gets many of these side at sale time and sells them for the same price even when the company sale isn't on. If you contact them, or probalby any real world location, you could probably get them for the sale price almost any time.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Kitsufox » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 pm

I acctually put in and have receive the catalog for Tandy. Chances are, once I have the money saved up for the leather, Vago and I will end up investing in the wholesale club (with what we need to buy, it seems that it'll be worth it). I particularly like that Tandy has a store that I can reach in a day-trip. Which means I could acctually SEE the side I'm buying befor I buy it... I'm old school: I like to see what I'm buying beforhand.

Considering each of us has out own ideas about what colors we want, there'll be lots of dye and rivits to buy. Now I just have to track down an affordable place to get a full, paws-on foxhide to make a cloak out of ;)

Thanks for all the advice.
Kitsufox
Recruit
Recruit

Return to The Armory