Bone Armour

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Bone Armour

Postby Kon-Nona » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:29 pm

Armour made of bones (mainly rib, and probably from a moose or some other big animal) tied on some light fabric or leather. Legal or no?
:sword: Have at! :sword:
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Bone Armour

Postby Kruger » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Kon-Nona wrote:Armour made of bones (mainly rib, and probably from a moose or some other big animal) tied on some light fabric or leather. Legal or no?

So thats why you asked me if i had any bone laying around.
Kruger
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kon-Nona » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:33 pm

nea i was looking for a skull to decorate. this idea came to me today while i was mowing a lawn, lol.
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Alabraxis » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:59 pm

bone would certainly be a period material. I'd be a bit leary as far as the potential for breaking the individual pieces, but if it conformed to all the other armor rules, I'd certainly allow it.
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Mercer » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm

There's a local fighter who incorporates bone as part of his armor. It seems to work fairly well.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Kon-Nona » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm

i figured rib bone would look cool coverin the lower legs, and for bracers. if i can, i want to make a curius out of some smaller ones...
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Vak » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Sounds cool, I think it would be bad * to see something like that.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Cyric » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:37 pm

This has been brought up before, try doing a search for it. I do know that you would probably have to either tape or lacquer the bones to prevent splintering should they break.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Kon-Nona » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 pm

I guess suede is a no for armour by itself, but thats what i want to attach bones to.
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:41 am

Umm, it's an iffy subject - while I do think it would pass in most areas I would talk with your local marshalls before going through the motions, the key is while it's a period material there aren't any conventions for it - spirit of the rules makes you think it should be okay but just to be on the safe side be prepared to provide historical documentation (native americans and perhaps inuit should have it) and also be ready to convince them that it's built safely (i.e. laquer, old bones want to splinter over time) and maintained when venturing outside your local realm.

Post pictures if you do do this though:)
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Kon-Nona » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:01 am

Kruger was telling me that it would break easyly, so i was thinking of shattering it into larger chunks (mayhaps around 1 n half inches) and making it into a scail mail type thing.
i would also have to dull the edges because they would probably be bloody sharp. if the whole thing wasn't good for belegarth, i could always just have it for decoration.
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kaibashi Shintaro » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Maybe you could cover the bones themselves in armor grade laether, or something to that effect.
Kaibashi Shintaro
Warrior
Warrior

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:24 pm

heh, I figured you were going for scale type things anyhow - the bigger it is the likelier it is to break, scales move and are somewhat small, needs more pressure in a smaller area.

Ribs would look cool complimenting greaves, but I don't have the patience or the stomach to wait for nature to clean them, not to mention the raccoons that frequent this area...

I personally would love horn lamella, but the cost is too * prohibitive
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Kon-Nona » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:03 am

i could always boil the bones so long as they are fresh. that should get them clean faster
Kon-Nona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kruger » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:28 am

Kon-Nona wrote:i could always boil the bones so long as they are fresh. that should get them clean faster

Only problem with that is it eats away at the marrow and makes them weaker. Bones that are naturally cleaned will be stronger, yet take longer.
Kruger
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Faolan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Why use glue when you can just use some leather lace and tie them to the leather underneath. OR you can lash them together and make them into a weave. Bleaching bones makes them very white. But if I was going to do it I would clean them naturally. If you have to tye 'em down. Sun bleaching is nice too.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Aleksii » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 pm

The sarmatians, and to a lesser extent the huns and scythians made use of bone and horn lamellae and scales. My friend/armourer Travis is replacing my current plastic lamellae with bone and or horn and if it can (hopefully) take sca blows it shouldnt splinter in belegarth.
Aleksii
Thug
Thug

Realm: Soon to be Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Embarrassing

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:34 pm

The question of bone armor is one that I've toyed with for years now. I've been told that others in the sport, Klaus in particular, have also been trying to come up with a good design for a number of years.

The issue isn't that the materials aren't period, bone has been used for all manner of tools since before the inception of human civilization.

The main problem that I've found is that when the bones dry out they become very brittle. This leads to easy splintering which leaves you with dangerous sharp edges. This is especially a problem with curved bones like the ribs which you mention wanting to use.

I'm also willing to bet that having the bones repeatedly driven into your flesh from foam strikes is going to hurt much worse than any other kind of armor and leave some really interesting bruises.

The most effective way I've thought of to use bone would be to make a native american breast plate. The trouble for me is that I don't have the time or inclination to make that many bone tube beads.

I'm in full support of anyone making bone armor and would love to see the result. Just make sure you keep a close eye on the bones for splintering as it could be a major hazard on the field.

Also, I would definately not use it for SCA. I'm not sure about splintering from foam weapons, but am certain it would happen from repeated hits with a rattan weapon.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Cleaning Bones

Postby Outis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:49 pm

I am by no means an expert on such things, but I have heard one effective way to clean bones is to leave them on an ant hill. The ants will eat off any bits of flesh left on the bones. You also get the sun bleaching effect.

It maybe be somewhat gruesome, but it's supposedly effective, especially for hard to clean bones such as skulls. I'm not sure how long it will take.

I believe this was done in the deserts of the southwest where the dry air keeps things from rotting as easily, so results may vary with climate.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby savetuba » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:44 pm

it depends on the size of the "hill". A massive sized colony will have it clean in a few hours.

Also while you are in the desert look at the ant hills carefully. I have found many a gem and metal around them.

So has anyone gone to a taxidermist (thanks faolan) and ask them if there is a way to preserve and/or cure bone. If there is I have several cow skulls that I'm willing to turn into helms ;)
Last edited by savetuba on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby The Great Gigsby » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:39 pm

http://www.reenactment.de/hornlamelle.html

The site's in german but is a really good example of lamellar armor made from cattle horns and bones. From what I know, this is a fairly historically accurate means of protection (assuming you can't afford metal).
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Faolan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:40 am

Taxidermist
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Most taxidermists use the bug method only not ants. They use flesh eating beetles in a box. Once you put the skull/bone to be cleaned in the box with the necrotic insects they multiply like mad and eat away the meaty bits leaving you with clean bone. Then most of them die from starvation.

And I think that lamelle armor is made from horn, not bone.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:51 pm

yep, it's horn. And he does say that he does NOT have an historical counterpart to compare it to. it is based off of a Byzantine style, but he was not aware of any historical counterparts. On top of that, that shirt took him six months. yikes.
Viking bastards: We're not laughing with you.

Proud owner of one Tor point. So far.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
http://ravensmoon.com
Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:21 am

It might have taken a long time, but it's **** cool.
I wouldn't make any bone armor for Bel. I will be destroyed very quickly on our feild. We play too rough. I see leather wearing out and chainmail with holes in it all the time. Bone armor would definetly dry out and break
If you make it keep it nice. It will be a work ok art, not a peice of sports equipment.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby SerisFoxglove » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 pm

have any of you thought about using the ribs from something a bit, well, larger? like say BEEF? seriously i worked as a butcher ad the rib bones of cattle are pretty thick, also tery looking at other smaller bones. and if you are wanting an idea for armor think more along the lines of plate-maile or splint rather than lamellar armor.
Also, you may want to think of smaller bones such as the metacarpals of animals such as a bear or other large animal. BTW Bone armor was used in China and Japan as early as 300 AD (earliest document I could find citing bone armor) and was used by conscripts and the sohei.
The shadowfox from Shannara.
SerisFoxglove
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 May 2010
Realm: Shannara
Unit: free
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms, Dual Wield

Postby Dacian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 am

DUDE. 4 YEAR THREAD RESURRECTION? ...come on, man...
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Black Cat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:53 am

I think this thread is a little too decayed to call a thread zombie. Thread Skeleton?

Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby No'Vak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Where can I get this maille made out of plate?
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Return to The Armory