legality of plastic??

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

legality of plastic??

Postby apollyon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:37 pm

i know the bow says no plastic but a friend of mine was wondering what if you placed plates in pockets of fabric instead of metal plates theyd be plastic plates but would be totally covered by the fabric and with no chance of coming out kinda like a shield is made....i am not an armor wearer nor will i ever be but my friend wants to do this sandwiching plastic between layers of fabric...and i was wondering if it would pass, assuming all the other standards are met!!
"when you get to heaven it won't matter what you looked like, but who you looked like." let it marinate you'll get it!!
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Ahki » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 pm

Nope, because platic is not a period material for making armor. The only materials that armor can be made of is leather, or metal (chain or plate). You can samich leather or metal plates between cloth and have perfectly legal armor. Metal would be cheaper, but heavy and you must make sure the corners are penny round. Leather is lighter and would have more flexability. And can be bought from the Leather Factory http://www.tandyleather.com/index.asp for around 70$ (on sale) for an armor thickness side which is ussaly (depending on your size) enought for a full suit and then some.
Ahki
Team 4
Leader of Unit Ahki?
Hey did you hear what Dagmar said about you!
Zane is My evil twin
Ahki
Bandit
Bandit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Mind Games

Postby Droviin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:13 pm

One other period armour material that is rarely used is wood. Japan used wood extensivly. Rattan and bamboo were also popular in certain areas, as was bark. In my advise just about anything that was advailable in the 1100's that would be reasonable to make armour from should pass.
-Droviin Va'Lorn
-Remember without Me it would just be Aweso!!
Droviin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Underhill » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:19 pm

I remember hearing about a Polynesian tribe using wicker armor. Are you saying this would count? I've been seriously considering making some.
Underhill
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alabraxis » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:54 pm

any time you use a non-leather/metal material, I would advise having proof of historical precident so that the heralds don't fail it out of hand.
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyric » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:11 am

no, he says bow as in Book of War. He's talking about armor.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Vak » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:46 am

I think he is talking about a bow...not armor.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Seiichiro » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:51 am

Droviin wrote:Japan used wood extensivly.

No, they didn't.

I'm not even going to cut and paste my rant on this one. Just search for 'wooden armor'. Inevitably, Japan comes up.
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby apollyon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 am

heres my main question did japanese use foam in their samuri swords???did the kelts?? did they use buggie boards in there shields?? i mean if the plastic is covered and you couldnt tell it was plastic, then wouldn't this be the same as making a shield...like i said i dont even wear armor but this guy wants to know this....
"when you get to heaven it won't matter what you looked like, but who you looked like." let it marinate you'll get it!!
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Re: legality of plastic??

Postby xiao » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 am

apollyon wrote:i know the bow says no plastic but a friend of mine was wondering what if you placed plates in pockets of fabric instead of metal plates theyd be plastic plates but would be totally covered by the fabric and with no chance of coming out kinda like a shield is made....i am not an armor wearer nor will i ever be but my friend wants to do this sandwiching plastic between layers of fabric...and i was wondering if it would pass, assuming all the other standards are met!!

use leather in place of plastic, done!
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Derian » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:45 am

Armor gives you a huge advantage on the field, that's why it's restricted to period materials. You can't honestly say "duur, teh samuiis didnt use foam in their swords." That's a safety reason.

Armor is not required for safety in this sport; it's intended to give you an advantage on the field. If plastic was allowed, everyone and their mother would show up in **** looking armor.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Droviin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Seiichiro wrote:
Droviin wrote:Japan used wood extensivly.

No, they didn't.

I'm not even going to cut and paste my rant on this one. Just search for 'wooden armor'. Inevitably, Japan comes up.

I just looked it up, laqured (sp?) wood was used as an armour contruction material.
-Droviin Va'Lorn
Droviin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Droviin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I should clairify. In the very early times, and when bows were just beginning to be used on the battlefield, wood was dominant. As time progressed other less awkward materials were prefered.
-Droviin Va'Lorn
Droviin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:56 pm

Underhill--

Wicker armor like that used by Polynesians (not sure which ones) is not only not legal for Belegarth, it's also ridiculously impractical, and extremely heavy and uncomfortable. And it would take forever to make. They have a suit of it at the Met, and it doesn't look like something I would want to wear.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby apollyon » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am

Derian wrote:Armor gives you a huge advantage on the field, that's why it's restricted to period materials. You can't honestly say "duur, teh samuiis didnt use foam in their swords." That's a safety reason.

Armor is not required for safety in this sport; it's intended to give you an advantage on the field. If plastic was allowed, everyone and their mother would show up in **** looking armor.

lol ok if you didnt get that was a joke!!! you actually answered my friends question....so thank you....... :angel: :armor1:
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Dragon of Fire » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:22 am

just a quick safety rant...

metal- very hard, bends verry little in the worst cases
leather- bends but has no sharp or pointy corners, doesnt snap
plastic- if you hit it right, it snaps, leaves jaged edges, and no one wants to be sliced up by someones armor.

plus, if you folowed the rules, it would be too easy to go out, buy some crappy looking plastic armor that meets requirements and cover it in something. its not hard to go to a toystore and get some "knights armor" then you cut it into squares and have perfect armor that will break down in less than 1 battle, if it somehow managed to sneak onto the battlefield
half elf rogue

Just tell your father you couldn't avenge his death because you were too busy getting stoned. He'll understand. |N|I|N|J|A|S|My Anti-Drug
Dragon of Fire
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Gronk of MN » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:32 am

in all fairness there are lots of kinds of readily available plastic that would be VERY unlikey to "snap", such as virtually any kind of abs. think of a plastic slab cutting board. however, the expence of such materials is simply un economical compared to that of metal plates.

but yeah, it makes sense to limit the game to period materials, to a) help restrict the amount of armor on the field (due to the fact that many folk simply wont make it) and b) help lend more historical relevance and respect to the game.

except for all the folks in pseudo historical/fantasy leather armor, that just looks cool :P
Last edited by Gronk of MN on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gronk of MN
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2005
Realm: Osgiliath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board.

Postby Gronk of MN » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:32 am

EDIT

holy double post, Batman!
Gronk of MN
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Dragon of Fire » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:30 pm

plastic cutting board = twice (at least) the thickness of legal armor. not sure why you would go with something so heavy, if its that thick, itd be cheeper and lighter for metal.

also, you can delete double posts if youre the last post, now you're not, but just for future reference
half elf rogue

Just tell your father you couldn't avenge his death because you were too busy getting stoned. He'll understand. |N|I|N|J|A|S|My Anti-Drug
Dragon of Fire
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby bo1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Ok first off SCA uses pickle barrel plastic. It does not break at all, much stronger than leather. It is at least 3 times lighter than leather. It can very easily be formed with a little heat. It makes absolutly beautiful armor, belegarth illeagal armor. It is a BOW people, read it and follow what it says. its really clear if you bother to read it.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby maximilian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:23 am

Okay, as a noob and history fanatic I say I'd hate to see people showing up in "milk jug armor", but I'll also say that there are plastic lamellae available that make my mouth water. I wholeheartedly agree with the "no cheese" philosophy for armor and wear chainmaille. I'd still not complain if someone showed up in REALLY nice plastic armor as long as it looked "right." I might even be tempted to make some myself. But till it's legal I'll tote my 35 lb. hauberk around, or get leather.
Cu Sith council
Master of Mug Fu
Generally rowdy Scot
yeah, that covers it.
maximilian
Grunt
Grunt

Realm: Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith

Postby apollyon » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:04 pm

i agree with Derian now thanks man i never realy looked at it that way before.... i was joking about the swords but you did clairify a lot.....thanks!!
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Seiichiro » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Droviin wrote:I just looked it up, laqured (sp?) wood was used as an armour contruction material.

Looked it up where? When and for what pieces? I heard that it was done in late late period, like post-Edo into Meiji restoration (late 1800s) for decoration pieces or kendo/kenjutsu. Well past what's considered period for Belegarth. Heian through Momoyama period armors (800 - 1600) were thin iron/steel plates and thick water buffalo back rawhide (1/8") sometimes wrapped in thin deerskin lacquered with urushi to about 1/4" thick and laced together with sinew and silk flat cord or rivited together. Assembled in either a lamellar fashion (earlier o-yoroi), overlapping bands of armor (okegawa-do) or entire solid plates (hotoke-do).

Rawhide is lighter and more durable than wood. Wood splinters and swells along it's grain. Tissue fibers in rawhide run randomly in a sort of tangle. Lacquer it and it's like a primitive fiberglass and it won't rot due to ambient humidity (being on an island group).

Unless you're talking about pre-Heian Japan (<800) and I just don't know enough about the armors from that time.

Reference link : http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Gronk of MN » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:01 am

i just found these in (in a roundabout way) from another post.

http://www.brotherguido.com/rmor/default.htm

how can these NOT be legal?
Gronk of MN
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Kyrian » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 am

I'll be the first one to say that the plastic lamellae look awesome...but they're plastic. Consider the audience to which the website is geared, primarily the SCA. Since you MUST wear armor unlike us where it's an option and the fact that plastic is a legal material for them (although frowned upon by some), that's considered acceptable. As to why we don't allow non-period materials, I think Derian's post earlier in the thread sums it up best.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Fowler » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:38 am

Kyrian wrote:I'll be the first one to say that the plastic lamellae look awesome...but they're plastic. Consider the audience to which the website is geared, primarily the SCA. Since you MUST wear armor unlike us where it's an option and the fact that plastic is a legal material for them (although frowned upon by some), that's considered acceptable. As to why we don't allow non-period materials, I think Derian's post earlier in the thread sums it up best.

I would argue alot of the SCA frowns on it for reasons of authenticity and believes it only acceptable for beginners. Which is the reason it was allowed in the beginning to allow people to enter the sport without spending tons of money and/or time on an acceptable suit of armor.

The whole plastic armor in the SCA is actually an issue for others, because it is much lighter than period materials allowing for better fighting performance. Some SCA fighters are going to plastic- not because it is cheap or easy, but to improve their fighting performance. We would have this same problem were it allowed in our sport.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby Black Cat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:42 am

Fowler wrote:The whole plastic armor in the SCA is actually an issue for others, because it is much lighter than period materials allowing for better fighting performance. Some SCA fighters are going to plastic- not because it is cheap or easy, but to improve their fighting performance. We would have this same problem were it allowed in our sport.

Ah, the power of cheese.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby apollyon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:36 pm

i dont get it black cat???although i do love cheese!!!
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Black Cat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 pm

Black Cat wrote:
Fowler wrote:The whole plastic armor in the SCA is actually an issue for others, because it is much lighter than period materials allowing for better fighting performance. Some SCA fighters are going to plastic- not because it is cheap or easy, but to improve their fighting performance. We would have this same problem were it allowed in our sport.

Ah, the power of cheese.

apollyon wrote:i dont get it black cat???although i do love cheese!!!

What I was saying is that people are "cheesing the rules" in SCA by wearing lighter armor for the sole purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in combat. My previous post (as well as this one) is basically just agreeing with Fowler on the subject of why we shouldn't allow plastic armor.

What I meant by "the power of cheese" is how it changes a respective game as a result of the unfair advantages it provides if allowed. If plastic armor was to be allowed in Belegarth, then it would defeat the purpose of having heavier armor such as chain mail or plate armor because it is much lighter and a lot cheaper. People with heavy armor would have to switch to plastic armor to deal with the fighters that wear plastic, since they will move a lot quicker and still have every rule advantage that people wearing normal armor have. All of a sudden, everyone will be wearing plastic armor and you might see some leather occasionally. It will change the face of the game.

This is the same kind of thing as "cheese sticks" and "turbo-clubs", only it is with armor instead of weapons.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Dragon of Fire » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:24 am

i was looking at those plastic plates, and i must say they do look nice, but what I thought was implied by the topic starter was some sort of brigadine armour in cloth pockets, like leather, and if you had small plastic plates thin enough to be light enough for reasonable armour, they would be weak, unless some really strong plastic was used (ive never heard of the pickle barrel stuff) but yeah, no cheese. im not sure on pricing of plastic armour, but even if it is cheeper, its one of those things thats just there to make it easier, and i think we're aiming for some sort of historical acuracy, (minus the elves, goblins, halflings, uruk-hai, etc)
half elf rogue

Dragon of Fire
Backstabber
Backstabber

Re: legality of plastic??

Postby debuenzo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:44 am

apollyon wrote:i know the bow says no plastic

listen to the BoW; it's not trying to trick you
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:48 pm

We pad our weapons, not ourselves. Armor is NOT a required safety feature. Therefore, if you want to have armor, it must be made from period accurate materials. Plastic will probably never be legal in belegarth, not in the forseeable future anyway. The SCA allows plastic because you are REQUIRED to have armor to fight, and not everyone can drop thousands for steel armor. But since there's no requirement for armor in our organization, it needs to be period accurate.

Make sense? Have we beaten the dead horse enough?
Viking bastards: We're not laughing with you.

Proud owner of one Tor point. So far.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
http://ravensmoon.com
Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:39 am

I for one would like to brutalize the necrotic equine a bit further, but can't really come up with anything that would get me around the BoW specifically stating that period materials must be used.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Ogre » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 am

anyways, its a simple as leather looks cooler anyways!!!
OGUR SMASHH!!! OGUR KILL!!!

=Forsaken=
Ogre
Underling
Underling

Return to The Armory