Decent Armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Decent Armor

Postby Verok » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:29 am

I just wana know how much some decent armor Not Anything fanc just decent would cost.Materiel Doesnt matter though I would like leather for flexiblity.
Muxlovia
SOUTHSIDE!!! =]
Verok
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dabbanoth » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:39 am

i know you are new, so dont use armor, at least not until your second year of fighting

but to answer your question
armor is very pricy (for people our age) it all depends on where, and what you get
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Chicken » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:13 am

If all you care about is price, probably the cheapest would be a chain shirt (about like a t-shirt) of 16ga butted off e-bay, which you can get for as low as ~$60 if you shop around. It'll fall apart and it won't cover your forearms or shins and it'll be fairly heavy, but you can't beat the flexibility.

Dagganoth has a point, though. It's really a good idea to fight for a while before you start wearing armor, or else you'll rely on it too much and it'll stunt your progress.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:17 pm

I second (third?) the idea that you should not use armor for at least a year. I didn't (for my first three years, in fact) and it seems to have worked out well for me. The reason for this is that I became used to the idea of needing to protect my whole body, and avoiding getting hit at all, so that now that I have armor, I still protect myself as much as I did when I had armor, the difference being I can mess up once and still survive.

That said, making or buying chain maille armor is probably the cheapest option, though it takes a long time. If you have the tools (which I'm willing to bet you don't, but it couldn't hurt to suggest) it is really cheap to make plate armor, since sheet steel is much cheaper than leather, and it would take less time than maille. But leather armor is fairly easy to make, and if you get a side of saddle skirting from Tandy leather, when it's on sale, you can split it with a friend, leaving you each enough to make a cuirasse and some greaves, with a materials cost of only $35. So look around, see what other people have made, and start collecting ideas and saving cash, and in a year or two you'll have enough money and enough ideas to make what you want.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Verok » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:09 pm

Ya that sounds like a good idea.
Muxlovia
SOUTHSIDE!!! =]
Verok
Monkey