Question on: Materials for armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question on: Materials for armor

Postby Adreas » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Hail from Portugal.

Again I come to you for your knowlage, and again i say sorry for the bad grammar and spelling..

well geting to the point, we wanna do armour.. just becouse it looks cool and it will sure bring more members to our ranks.

the big problem is Portugal is a small country in the * of Europe and the second poorest country in the Europian union... so life aint easy here.. buyng matirial for a couple of swords its doable a shield (of plywood and all) it hard but we manage ti get some money.. but Leather and other materials as steel and all.. it quite hard.

I even admire you guys how you can get these so easy.. So we are thinking in use Synthetic Leather and for chain mail Galvanized Zinced Wire.

My question is: beeing I and my close friends beeing the only ones checking weapons and armor, do you think is a awful thing that ruins the spirit of belegarth using this materials?
Or will the gear be good for the belegrim spirit?

P.S. I'm aware of what the rules say that's why i make this Question(s) and for the same reason I put them in Armory and not in Rules forum. Move it if I'm wrong.

Hug's and Kiss
Andr? Pinto (the Portuguese kid =P)
Adreas
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:30 pm

To answer your questions in order; sythetic leather isn't legal, but Galvanized Zinced Wire is what we all use. Usually between 16 and 14 guage. The kind used in electric cattle fences.
And second, No I do not think you will ruin the spirtit of Belegarth if you subsitute materials to get what you need to get your people out on the feield fighting. You should do whatever you have to in order to fight, but you do not NEED touse sythentic leather. You don't NEED armor to fight. If you can't get leather, don't use it. You don't need it.
It sounds like you can get wire for chainmail. Use that. It makes better armor anyway. A good shirt of chain will last for years and years.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Adreas » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:42 pm

tnks on the quick answer.

it nice that i can do chain mail. i think that kind of metal wasn't legal on belegrim armor.

About the "NEED" for armor is essencialy for calling more pepole to sport and make them more enthusiastic in getting Garb and custumized wepons and armour..

in my view, that i know wont sound good at all.. it makes pepole more involved with the sport if they have more items..

having cool looking garb (and armor is quite nice looking) make you "FEEL IT" more.. that the main need on armor on my realm. (I pearsonaly, don?t like wearing any armor or shield, big red or 2 x blue swords no fancy flail or any other stuff)

The answer to this might be not counting it as armor, just as grab.. i dont know if it will make sence to the regular player i just hope so..
Adreas
Recruit
Recruit

Postby debuenzo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

honestly, it is YOUR realm
if you want to pass synthetic armor because you think it will increase numbers and the overall look of your field, do it!
but explain to your fighters that this isnt allowed by the national (original) rules and that you are only allowing it to make their experience better

i mean, no one can stop you from doing it

in my home realm 2 yrs ago, i passed a chain mail shirt where the internal ring diameter was about 1 inch....no it wasnt "legal," but it was safe and the dude took the time to make it
we had a small realm with no armor, so i allowed it....so that my guys could get a feel for how armor actually worked
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Adreas » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm

al'right

thanks for the opinion im gonna talk it seriously with evry one intressed in geting some "armor" and say it will count for armour for the time being but as soon as there are other realms and we do real events we change rules we follow strict to rule.. but inner realm fights we will do it
Adreas
Recruit
Recruit

Hey!

Postby Karne » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:24 pm

Hey, I think it is great that you are forming a Belegarth group. Not only are you doing it in a foreign country, but you are doing it under hard conditions. Go for the armor! Build what you need with what you've got and make it work for you. I wish you guys the best of luck and I hope to hear more about your realm soon!
I don't give a **** if there's an h in wispering.
Karne
Monkey
Monkey

Return to The Armory