Upper arm armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Upper arm armor

Postby Zurokk » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Ok... im looking to make upper arm armor (from elbow to shoulder) out of leather. ive seen nice arm armor on the field and i was wondering if there was any pattern that is both easy to make and comfortable to wear.
Ive browsed the net for designs but thay all seem to be made for steel. so i figured this might be a good pace to ask for help on my quest for a good leather patter/design.
Zurokk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 5- 0-2006
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B

Lorica Segmentata

Postby Enderonimus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:35 pm

I recommend making Roman Lorica Segmentata shoulders. They are very easy to make and are basically strips of leather varying in lengths and widths. attached by rivets and soft leather thongs and layered downward, not upward.
As far as patterns go, the steel ones for these would work fine.Just cut them out of leather.

http://www.arador.com/construction/lorica1.html
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorpat.html

Good Luck and be patient, this is a hard beginner piece and will take time to fit just right.
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2005

Postby Spike » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Enderonimus recommended a good way to do it, however after making those pauldrons, you actually need a way to attach them. Riveting a buckle and strap on the top pauldron that goes around your back and up under your armpit will keep it stable. Then, just rivet a buckle and strap on the bottom pauldron that goes around your bicep.

Dual pauldrons always look rocket sauce. Just ask Zim.

Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

spike is right

Postby Enderonimus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:45 am

Spike is right. Mounting these shoulders will be a task in themselves. His procedure of under the arm and to the back is one possibility, and a very good one in that it keep the armor strapped close to the body and does not hinder movement whatsoever. One thing, make sure you use much softer leathers for your straps, as in the underarm strap will bite into that pit if you use the same thick hard leather as the pauldrons are made from. There is no real patterns for strapping, you just have to eye and wing it. Just make sure to measure twice, maybe even thrice, and cut once, as leathers are not cheap!
example of segmentata pauldron:

Some other methods of strapping solo shoulder/upper arm protection:

Good luck and keep posted on progress!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Lodian Black » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:47 am

Where could I find Lion heads like on those pardrons?
"It shall be swift. It shall be graceful. The precision of my blade ever so faithful."

Lodian Black
- Black Tiger Organization-
Lodian Black
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Sirius » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am

im just curius would you have full range of motion with the shoulder armor?
Ha HA Ha
Sirius
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: duharrow
Unit: jesters court
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Postby Lodian Black » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:13 am

thats what I was thinking too. im curious because it looks rad.
"It shall be swift. It shall be graceful. The precision of my blade ever so faithful."

Lodian Black
- Black Tiger Organization-
Lodian Black
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Zurokk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:29 pm

all good ideas... what im looking for is armor just for my sword arm (im right handed) and i happened to like lxous's old armor...without the small chest plate.witch kinda looks like the one Enderonimus posted the one third from bottom at least from the elbo up.
Zurokk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 5- 0-2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B

Postby Enderonimus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 pm

From what you describe, I think you'd like a Lorica Manica. It is the roman full arm gaurd often seen popularized by gladiators, but what actually a military used armament first. It is like the Segmentata shoulders, but in most cases, extended all the way down to the wrist. For yooue particular wants you can always shorten it to the elbow or shorter, depending on what you like.
example:

Here is a website with patterns and a tutorial on how to build one.
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/manica.html
For your piece, you might want to combine the Segementa shoulders with a Manica, to get that full arm effect. either way, it is good historical and actual armor that is fully functional and relatively easy to make. Good luck and take your time, Rome was not built in a day!

As far as mobility goes for the Segmentata shoulders, they are exceptionally mobile and comfortable to wear. You just have to make sure they are comfortably strapped and fit right, and you can barely tell they're on! And for the lions, I buy brass lion door knockers from Big Lots, believe it or not! They are about 3 dollars for a pair and look real nice and add true class and beauty to a standard militia piece!
here's some off ebay:
http://antiques.search.ebay.com/lion_Kn ... RCHQ3aSRCH
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Xenoc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm

Enderonimus, you should seriously have a store. Everything I've seen you make is top notch. You know your stuff!
Xenoc
Barbarian
Barbarian

Thanks X!

Postby Enderonimus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:13 am

Thanks X! I plan on going into full production on a wide variety of pieces once I am ready.
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Xenoc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Sweet!
Xenoc
Barbarian
Barbarian

Return to The Armory