Easy inexpensive plate armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Easy inexpensive plate armor

Postby Outis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 am

I came across a bunch of construction ties and decided to make them into armor.

(the inside, yeah I know i need to take the stickers off)

It's still a work in progress but I'm happy with the results so far. I want to replace the shoulder straps with belts and maybe put some padding in the spaulders. I have some leather armor that covers my kidneys and back that I will wear under the plate.

I've worn it around the house and it is reasonably flexible and comfortable. The plates are fairly easy to bend individually but when they are layered, they seem strong enough to take a good hit. I haven't had a chance to try it out on the field yet since I'm still on the injured list for a few more weeks.

The plates are Simpson Strong Ties (LSTA9). They are 20 gauge steel with pre-drilled holes. I used 48 plates for the whole thing. I think they sell at home depot for 50 cents each but I got mine for free. I penny rounded the edges with bench grinder and then wove them together with rope.

It only took a few hours worth of work. Other than a bench grinder, I didn't need any tools. I shaped the plates by hand and wove them together. It was surprisingly quick and simple.

It isn't the best armor, but it's inexpensive, easy to make, and looks reasonably good from a few feet away. Another guy in my realm has already made some greaves and bracers from similar ties.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby Mercer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:18 am

How big are those holes? If they're large enough to catch a finger, the armor may not pass.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby To'Gur » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am

very nice, good job!
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby Winfang » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Very nice. It's got an oriental feel to it.

I wouldn't worry about the holes in it. If someone is dumb enough to grapple someone in armour then they deserve any injury they get.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Outis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Mercer,
The largest holes are 1/2 inch diameter. I can't fit my fingers in there. I'm not sure about someone with really small fingers, but I don't think it's a big problem. It passed in my realm. It'll be a while before I can go to an event to see if it'll pass there.

Wingfang
thank you. My design was heavily influenced by samurai armor. I considered looking up traditional armor weaves but in the end I just made up something to go with the pattern of the pre-drilled holes.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby Vak » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Thats really dope armor! The blue rope kinda throws me a little but other than that, Good find and Good job.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Enderonimus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 am

Very nicely done! Very original and clever use of resources to make a truly nice piece!
Next,maybe invest some time into reseach on lamella styles, mainly mongol and hun styles, and fine tune the lacing.ie:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisand ... ellar.html

All in all, I really like it and would give it an A+.
If you have time, I know the guys here would love a walk-through on construction and building, for all us armor enthusiasts!
Well done, hats off to you!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2005

Postby Dacian » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:00 am

wow. i've worked with those things a million times and never thought about making them into armour.

great job!
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Outis » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:16 am

Ender,

thank you, that is a great compliment, especially coming from you. You've posted some amazing work.

One potential problem with the traditional lamellar designs I have seen is they tend to use smaller vertical plates while the construction straps seem better suited to horizontal layering, as shown. Do you know of a historical equivalent?

My design need some fine tuning before I can write a walk through, but I'd be happy to do so if there is interest. In the meantime, I'm happy to give pointers to anyone who wants to try something similar. It's really very easy.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby Enderonimus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:40 am

Actually, I know exactly what you are reffering to, it's called a Turkish/Medieval Russian armor known as a "yushman". It consists of longer, horizontal plate lamellar that was used primarily by light calvary, due to its expansion movement would be vertical as opposed to the traditional hoizontal expansion of plates useful for footsoldiers swinging weapons. The vertical expansion of plates, ie:
was fundamental for mounted troops who had to contend with the natural jolting of their steeds.
This armor is very unique and was widespread used acrossed the plains of Russia,mongolia, even into China and the Middle East, made famous by the most famous Mongol warrior of all time, Attila the Hun.
Here are some examples of Yushman:

Here is a website with a wealth of knowledge on middle eastern and central asian armors. http://www.geocities.com/normlaw/page9.html
Good luck with the piece,Outis! Keep on investing into your work here!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Vak » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Hurm, I have an electric like hand sander, like for walls and wood and stuff. Would I be able to use that? (I have a Dremel Tool too) I really like the look of this armor a lot and I want to make a set.
Vak
Thug
Thug

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 am

Armor like that totally reminds me of Collosus from the Xmen.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Outis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:52 am

Ender,

Thanks again, that information is really helpful. If I decide to re-lace my armor I might try one of those weaves.

Uargvak,

The Dremel tool should work fine for penny rounding the edges. Just make sure you're using a grinding bit that's designed for grinding steel (the reddish ones). I'd suggest clamping the tool down and moving the plates. If you're planning to do a full chest plate and spaulders, I'd expect to go through a few bits and it'll take a while. Ask around if anyone you know has a bench grinder first. It'll save you a lot of time.

You *might* be able to use a hand sander if you get heavy duty sand paper that's designed for use on metal. (Aluminum Oxide 40-80 grit paper might work). It kinda depends on what kind of sander you have. I'd just use the Dremel.

You don't really need to take off much metal to get them penny round so either way could work.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby Vak » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:22 am

Awesome, thanks a ton. I prolly will have more questions as I work on it. I mean 24 bucks for this isn't bad at all. Prolly less I'm not really a big guy so it should be perfect.

Again great find. I can really see this beefing up metal armor in the game.
Vak
Thug
Thug

Postby Enderonimus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 am

Don't forget your lacing with this, Vak. Those holes in the construction ties will eat right through any normal commercial bought lace.
Found a great supplier of military parachute cord. This stuff is made to hold 450 lbs of weight and has to be sawed with a jigsaw! Perfect and real cheap from this supplier!

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display ... |954691562

Good luck and would definetly love to see more metal armors on the field! Think you may have stumbled on a gem here, Outis!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Kyrian » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 pm

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps you could look at edging the armor with some thin leather, something like this:

http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/33455096

I also love the helm and gauntlets in this picture.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Vak » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:02 pm

Oh wow, that looks really cool, Once I get the suit done I will try and line it like that.
Vak
Thug
Thug

Postby xiao » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm

ruuuugggged!!!
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Enderonimus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Very nice and great find,kyrian!
I love those style "face helms". I used to make a variety out of steel similar to "Hammered Wombat" used to make,ie:

Some other nice ones:

Back on topic though, leather edging does make a piece really elegant and nice, but can be a task drilling all those extra holes, but the payout is worth it![/img]
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby BlackWolf » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:07 pm

I found those plates at Home Depot in 18 and 16 ga for $.67 a piece. That stuff will stand up to a beating better than the 20 ga those are made of.
Strength is not all that is important to a warrior,
for those who are not wise enough to learn from life are doomed to perish.
BlackWolf
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dr. Kazi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:07 pm

(Attila the Hun was a Hun, not a Mongol . . . very nice armor, carry on.)
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Enderonimus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:26 pm

The "Huns" were a tribe of mongols,and the ancestors of the latter Mongol empire.
therefore, Huns = Mongols.
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby To'Gur » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:17 am

Ender is correct, Kazi loses
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Enderonimus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:37 am

No offense intended, Kazi, if that came off as too short or a bit rude,I apologize. I can see how that would be confusing.
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby warwell » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:02 am

I was not aware that Mongols and Huns were the same. Can you recommend any good sources on the history of these tribes?

Kevin
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Spork » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:42 pm

They aren't the "same" the Huns were just the predecessors to the Mongols, being that they both came from present-day Mongolia and Huns came first.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Enderonimus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:42 pm

yeh, the huns were basically the migratory raiding tribe of the mongol region. Both originated from the same region.
But, I don't want to hijack Outis' thread any further, the best place to discuss this is probably the Historical Forum.
Sorry about that Outis. Again, very nice armor and truly clever design. Recommended for any beginner who wants to armor up on a budget!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby Atari » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:51 pm

[quote="Outis"]Mercer,
The largest holes are 1/2 inch diameter. I can't fit my fingers in there. I'm not sure about someone with really small fingers, but I don't think it's a big problem. It passed in my realm. It'll be a while before I can go to an event to see if it'll pass there.

Umm, Outis, if i can fit my fingers through mine, does that mean it fails?
If it does, i can easily duct tape them. :armor1:
SAHS

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
-General George Patton
"The 9mm is a .45 set on 'stun'"
-Unknown
Atari
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 14 Jul 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Bow and Arrow

Postby Dr. Kazi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Yeah, no offense, for sure. I'm just saying that Attila was operating in the mid 400s AD, and the Mongol Empire didn't get going until the 1200s. That is almost 800 years difference! And before Genghis united the tribes and got them all calling themselves Mongols, I'm pretty sure "Mongol" was just another tribe. If you called Attila a Mongol he would have disagreed, if he even knew what a Mongol was. The Huns had been migrating west for years by the time they hit Europe and appeared in our history books. I doubt Attila had ever spent time in what we call Mongolia.

Dude rides a horse, comes from Central Asia, makes him a steppe nomad. Maybe a Hun, Turk, Scythian, not necessarily a Mongol.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Enderonimus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Very well put and explained. you win, friend Kazi! I conceed!

Thanks though, for clarifying here. Hope to have my Hun helmet finished here while this topic is still hot!
[/img]
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby To'Gur » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Postby SmileyX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:17 pm

i think this is great look armor and i am going to try this for my self today ARMOR FOR THE CHEAP MAN w00t Good Work
ill post picks of it when im done

ALSO
keep in mind that this stuff can easly be made a different color with spray paint
"What I lack in age I make up in madness"
Subaltern of Clan Of The Hydra
Thegn of Muxlovia
SmileyX
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Nov 2006
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Hate Spear

Postby Outis » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Ender,

no worries about hijacking the thread. I found the discussion interesting and it's good to have some historical background for the armor I'm wearing.

SmileyX & Uargvak,
I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Glad you like the design.

Atari,
the BOW says:
3.3. Armor must not catch appendages. Fingers should not catch in Armor. This includes articulated plates and large diameter chain.

So my comment was since I can't fit my fingers in the holes it can't catch fingers. Still there's a difference between fitting and catching. As long as there's not a big danger of someone getting their finger in one of the holes during combat or grapling it should be ok. Your armor passed in our realm, so I think it's fine.

Also, if you are worried about it, I would lace rope through the larger holes so a finger can't fit. I did this on my spaulders. It looks better than duct tape. It also keepd the plates from flexing too much.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby Enderonimus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks again, Outis. If we ever organize any kind of tutorials, we'll definetly have to get something in there about this!
And as far as painting, make sure you use a good primer for your first underlying coat, so the outer coat will last longer and turn up smoother!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Postby widigo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:54 pm

This is tight, I plan on seeing what I can do with some red and black rustoleum paint. These are cheep, easy, and with some leather straps, or the string depicted above, i can probably do some * bracers, or grieves. The breastplate is cool, but does not fit my theme, so I may cover it with a leather item, or maybe a cloak like object.

Widigo
widigo
Monkey
Monkey

Postby SmileyX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 am

ok i would like to make a few corrections so please edit your post when you get this there is no way those are LSTA9's those are def LSTA12's lol LSTA9's can be used for braces and greaves but def not for body lol ok there ya go
Thegn of Muxlovia
SmileyX
Grunt
Grunt

Hate Spear

Postby Outis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 pm

SmileyX,

well if they aren't LSTA9's someone went through a whole lot of trouble to stamp LSTA9 on each and every one of them and then cut them down to 9 inches long.

Maybe they look longer than they are because they layered three across. There is one on the chest and one on each side.

I believe Atari used LSTA12's. Other strong ties might work even better (thicker gauge or better hole pattern). I just used what I had on hand.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby SmileyX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:03 pm

hmm interesting oh well yours look alot dif from the ones i have so maybe dif brand i ono
Thegn of Muxlovia
SmileyX
Grunt
Grunt

Hate Spear

Postby widigo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:09 pm

a) Awesome Armor

b) Smiley got powned, don't try to know what you don't. LOL no offense I hope.

c) Has anybody tried painting these?

d) I hope to try this soon.
widigo
Monkey
Monkey

Postby savetuba » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:58 am

widigo wrote:c) Has anybody tried painting these?

Don't paint them, powder coat them.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Re: Easy inexpensive plate armor

Postby Phelan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:04 am

Interesting, I must get some of these metal plates :)

Outis your a genius!

But when did you take those pictures? i've never seen you in the armor.
Phelan
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2008
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Red+Blue, Single Red, Single Blue, Florentine+Buckler, Sword+Buckler.

Postby Spike » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:13 pm

A little over a year ago. Around the same time this thread was active.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Oisin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 am

Wow . . . this thread is that old? * . . . time flies.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Tytus » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:24 pm

If anyone has made bracers or greaves out of these things pictures would be highly appreciated.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky, -Michael Scott
Tytus
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Die

Postby Arrakis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Dude, look at the post dates. The last several ate indeed from 2008, but they're mostly saying "Quit thread-necroing, old thread is oooollld."
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Kirethorn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

I realise this thread is aged, but I am wondering if that suit would be legal for SCA. I'm investigating it here and the main thing that wiuld stop me in the future is armouring myself.
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Derian » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:18 pm

You would probably have better luck asking that question on an SCA forum, not a Belegarth forum.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arrakis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Derian, those are few and far between in my experience...

Kirethorn, look into armor made out of plastic "pickle barrels". Those big, 55 Gal plastic drums you see used at car washes or for dog houses or just whatever? They make excellent brig, splint, lamellar, and japanese-style stuff.
Arrakis

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Of course, then you'd look like a dork, as pickle barrel armor is for sucka's.
You could buy some 1/4" ABS plastic you can form in your oven. It's what many SCA armors use instead of the ol' barrels. But then you'd have to spend money, which you've already said you're against.
Back on topic, I don't know how old this thread is, but the guy who started it is a * genius. Good show. I would paint those plates or the edges will rust.
Also, you should get a nice de-burring tool or a rat tail file and go at your lace hole. If you smoot them out real good, you wont saw through your string as fast.

FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Arrakis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:51 pm

FB: I intend to use pickle barrel for the internal plates on a 15th Cent Italian brig (or maybe a corrizina...). Shouldn't look any worse than a metal version, but I can do it for a fraction of the price in a one-bedroom apartment.
Arrakis

Next

Return to The Armory