Lamellar Armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Lamellar Armor

Postby Oisin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:37 am

Hey all,

I'm considering making myself a suit of lamellar armor out of 18 ga. Newstead-pattern plates (aka, minimum weight to pass in both Dag and Bel--ironically, thicker than lamellar needs to be for real armoring purposes because of the overlap). Since I've never seen metal lamellar on the field before, I have a few questions about it.

1. Is it likely to fail the finger-catching rules?

2. Do surfaces covered by other plates need to be penny round? Aka, if they are internal?

3. Is there anything else that might cause problems with it, that I haven't thought of/thought to ask?

Thanks . . .

Oisin
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:19 am

Mods, Please move this to the Armoury

In answer to your question the pertinent rules are:

1)
3.3. Armor must not catch appendages. Fingers should not catch in Armor. This includes articulated plates and large diameter chain.

If a finger can slip in between the plates then there is a high likelihood of failure for safety.

2)
3.1.8.1. The edge of rigid metal Armor shall have the smoothness of the edge of a penny.
3.1.8.2. The edge of rigid metal Armor shall have less cutting ability than the edge of a penny.
3.1.8.3. The radius of any rigid metal corner must be greater than the radius of a penny.

You'll note that technically these rules apply to all edges. However, there are many allowances made for slightly rough edges which are covered by leather. Though not specifically mentioned in the BoW, this is a generally accepted practice which could apply here in a similar manner as the "rough" interior edge would be covered by other scales. So that's the long answer for where I could have said "maybe." You could build it this way and find out what checkers say, or you could invest the extra time to round it all and be sure of it passing.

Is there a reason that you really want this armor to be steel? You could do a very similar thing in leather which would be lighter, cheaper and provide the exact same in game protection.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Kyrian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 am

Done.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cib » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:25 am

Rowan wrote:Is there a reason that you really want this armor to be steel? You could do a very similar thing in leather which would be lighter, cheaper and provide the exact same in game protection.

Cool factor, + unique? Also, I think steel (in proper sized sheets) is actually much cheeper than leather.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:41 am

What pattern of lacing are you planning on using? I can't see why fingers would catch in well-made lamellar.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 am

Cib wrote:
Rowan wrote:Is there a reason that you really want this armor to be steel? You could do a very similar thing in leather which would be lighter, cheaper and provide the exact same in game protection.

Cool factor, + unique? Also, I think steel (in proper sized sheets) is actually much cheeper than leather.

Oh I'm sure there are reasons, I just want to know what they are. Also, you may be right if you're talking about buying whole leather sides, but lamellar can be done from much lighter scales cut from scrap pieces. A five lb. bag of scrap at some hobby stores will cost no more than $10 and will often provide more than enough for lemellar (depending on the size of the person the armor is for).
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Oisin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Basically, yeah, coolness factor, and that no one else is doing it. Plus, it's metal armor that's lighter and less shoulder-heavy than chainmail. I've heard from several people who say that their shirts weigh less than 10 lbs (admittedly in 20 ga, not 18), which is great because I like metal armor, but dislike the weight and shoulder-heaviness of chain.

Plus, it's an armor type that my character might have actually historically have been exposed to, and I try to keep myself at least relatively historically accurate.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Claymore » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 pm

I thnk that preventing finger catching spots will be determined by how the lames are layered and how they're tied.

these pictures provided in the tutorial by ender show how properly laid lamellar armor looks and you'll note how tight each piece is regaurdless to the curve.

As for how its done? I dont have a clue. I had enough frustration making my armor segments passable and they wern't small like these
Those who would sacrifice liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claymore
Backstabber
Backstabber

Favorite Fighting Styles: English and Itailian longsword
German Flamberge

Postby Cib » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 pm

This guy made his own lacing method that only overlaps vertically, and looks good:
Creativity is Key
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby maximilian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:17 am

I cut 100 lammelae once at work from 18ga. Not remotely enough to cover my torso.
As I took it to my car my opinion was "this stuff is heavy!" Since I use chainmail armor anyhow I soon abandoned the idea due to the weight factor.
Also, consider chamfering (smoothing) the lacing holes, if they have sharp burrs your laces will be cut. Also the shearing action of metal plates overlapping will contribute to your armor unraveling one day.

I love the look of lammelar armor, but I'd definitely use leather for it. Lighter, more flexible, and less maintenance.

Sheet metal is definitely cheaper by the square foot than armor grade leather. I'm not sure how much it costs, I get it out of the scrap bin at work.
Cu Sith council
Master of Mug Fu
Generally rowdy Scot
yeah, that covers it.
maximilian
Grunt
Grunt

Realm: Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith

Postby Claymore » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 am

however, I will mention that any lamellar armor with any legal material will be heavy. The reason it gets heavy quickly is becuase the layers of material overlap, and you need twice the material to cover the same ammount of space. if you use leather, try to keep it thinner so that it becomes legal while overlaping.

Dont make the same mistake I did with mine. I went with 12-15 oz saddle shirt for just about everything + 17-19 oz for the body. The torso and shoulders weigh aprox 35 lbs. And I know it will get worse as I add more, (helm, bracers, leggins, and such.)
Those who would sacrifice liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claymore
Backstabber
Backstabber

German Flamberge

Postby Enderonimus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey, Oisin, my applause to you for trying something different in armor styles! Lamellar is great, easy to make and offers many options for customizing, ie: differnet shaped plates, lacing designs, even basic construction.
Lamellar is very common amongst the SCA, due mostly to its ease of construction and period authenticity. I fought in plastic lamellar for my first few years, and after the first fight or 2, you forget you even have armor on!
Now steel lamellar is a bit more tricky. Like maximillain wrote, one major concern is the lacing holes shearing the lacing. One thing I did to counter this is I used a small router bit on the holes I drilled, giving them a smooth finish, and not biting into the lace so much. And with the lace, especially if your working in steel, I recommend using parachute cord, particularily military issue. That is designed to be mostly rip-stop, and should last a long time. It's real cheap on-line. I have a few sites bookmarked if you need them.
When building the first lamellar suit, the easiest design is what is called the "Newcastle" plate and weave design. Allows for fairly large plates, 2"x3", and is very easy to weave.
Here are some pics of my old lamellar suit:

Here is a pattern for the plates:

And here's how you lace them:

Some examples of lamellar in the Newcastle style:

Good luck, bud! Here's to your endeavors!
Enderonimus
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2005

Postby Claymore » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Enderonimus wrote: I recommend using parachute cord, particularily military issue. That is designed to be mostly rip-stop, and should last a long time.

quoted for truth. Fantastic material to lace any armor with.
-Benjamin Franklin

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claymore
Backstabber
Backstabber

German Flamberge

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:10 am

Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby HesinRaca » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:01 pm

This is all very exciting. Brigadine and Lamelar make me happy.

Anyone have any intense historical research capacities in terms of armour?
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Oisin, I have steel brig encased in/riveted to leather, and its actually not horribly heavy. There is some over-lapping of the plates, but not as much as in llamelar. It's Judas' old suit, so he might be able to give you some better specs on it. It's real manuverable, just loud as hell.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Bothvar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:02 am

Wulfvyn likes his lamellar warskirt, "sounds like the calverly coming", he says. As for construction, learned a big lesson on cutting, hardening, & lacing/riveting pieces together.
Luck in battle
-Viking proverb
Bothvar
Underling
Underling

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 am

Brenna Haldana wrote:Oisin, I have steel brig encased in/riveted to leather, and its actually not horribly heavy. There is some over-lapping of the plates, but not as much as in llamelar. It's Judas' old suit, so he might be able to give you some better specs on it. It's real manuverable, just loud as hell.

This is something I'm planing on trying to make this season. It's not armor grade leather I'm assuming, but like a suade?
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:12 am

HesinRaca wrote:Anyone have any intense historical research capacities in terms of armour?

This article on lamellar has a pretty hefty bibliography.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:07 am

Big Jimmy wrote:This is something I'm planing on trying to make this season. It's not armor grade leather I'm assuming, but like a suade?

Correct. The outer layer is a garment leather (a little thicker than suede) and the interior is a satin backed suede. It's quite comfy and only chafes/irritates when it gets soaking wet.

Here's a decent shot of it:

-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby savetuba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Oisin: Please keep us updated on your project. Sounds like an interesting project that many of us might duplicate.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

My armour plan

Postby Rocca » Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I don't really know is this is where I should post this but oh well. Inspired by the posts above I am now embarking on my own quest to make armor. This is hindered by the fact that I am female and therefore am unable to make the nice smooth lines of Lamellar work for me (or rather, not if I want to also show off). so yeah, here is my design, and my plan. I have no experience with this so I would really appreciate any feed back on it. I think that it will work, but I don't really know. Thanks!
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Derian » Fri May 02, 2008 2:25 pm

This should help out a bit:

http://swordmaiden.com/armor/aden/
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Oisin » Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 am

Hey Cib, do you rememeber where you got that photo above? I was just looking at it, and it looks pretty cool.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Rocca » Sat May 03, 2008 11:47 am

That link is great! Thanks!
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Postby Cib » Sat May 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Oisin wrote:Hey Cib, do you rememeber where you got that photo above? I was just looking at it, and it looks pretty cool.

Ya, it is a costume a guy I know (sorta) is making for a short film he is shooting this summer. I could see if I could get you more details on it if you want.
Creativity is Key
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Oisin » Sat May 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Yeah, if he wouldn't mind sharing his pattern, that would be excellent. I think I've got it figured out from the photo, but I'm not sure.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Hothir Ethelnor » Mon May 05, 2008 5:57 pm

Oisin,

I am the guy Cib showed you a picture of, (he directed me to this forum and I joined.)

As stated above, this was made for a movie project. It's main concerns were comfort, cost, labor, and looks. It was not made for real combat as it would probably cause the paint to flake after repeated blows and/or heavy usage. I used plastic plates and my estimated production time is about two days per suit with only one person working on it. It is very stiff, therefore it ends above the waist and has extra lower plates laced on in the opposite direction loosely to allow someone to bend over easily in it. If you want any more information you could email me at hothir1 (AT) yahoo.com.
Hothir Ethelnor
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Oisin » Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok, yeah, that's how I thought you were doing it. It looks really neat, but I think that pattern would probably be overly heavy and stiff in metal. Great costume look, though. Which movie is it for?

Btw, how is the rotational flexibility? Assuming a cuirasse ending above the waist, how much flexibility do you lose?
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Rocca » Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 pm

That resource was great, thank you for the link.
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Postby Rocca » Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Uh oh . . . I was just going over the rules for the armour and I think that maybe the lacing on the back of my design wont work . . . The rules say that the armour is not allowed to be able to catch fingers - is that just between plates/lamallar or does the tying mechanism count?
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Postby Derian » Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Can't catch fingers under normal fighting circumstances. If it's just lacing like the lamellar examples posted in this thread, you'll have no problem.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Cib » Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Welcome and thanks for the info Hothir. :) I am still amazed at how real that plastic looks! The hole thing looks amazing. Can't wait to see the film when it is done.
Creativity is Key
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Hothir Ethelnor » Tue May 06, 2008 5:09 am

Oisin wrote:Ok, yeah, that's how I thought you were doing it. It looks really neat, but I think that pattern would probably be overly heavy and stiff in metal. Great costume look, though. Which movie is it for?

It's for an independant student project that I am working on though I hope to develope a feature based on it if it's successful at film fests and such.

Btw, how is the rotational flexibility? Assuming a cuirasse ending above the waist, how much flexibility do you lose?

It is only as flexible vertically as the material it's made of which means basically none if made from steel. horizontally it is pretty flexible almost to the point of being able to make matching bracers for the arms from it. (it looks a little funny on tyhe arms though and I think it would break combat rules since you could get something caught on the plates if you have it bending so much.

As far as a curaisse that ends ABOVE the waist you should be perfectly comfortable as long as you leave enough room for your arms to move.
Hothir Ethelnor
Recruit
Recruit

Return to The Armory