Wrist Guards/Armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Wrist Guards/Armor

Postby Dyre » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:12 pm

I just recently started fighting within the realm Salamandastron and I have found that my wrists are really sore after fighting for a while, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a person who makes wrist supports that can also be considered armor. I know that a hit to the hand doesnt count, but if the wrist support could go down the arm to the elbow, it could possibly count as armor as well. I believe the best thing it would be made of is leather, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to make them, or someone who did, or a company who did. Or if it is even a good idea at all.
Dyre
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 26 Sep 2009
Realm: Stygia

Re: Wrist Guards/Armor

Postby varadin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm

to support the wrist you need a wrap normally. I suggest getting MMA gloves. Put them on first and then if you want armor just put bracers on over it.

If your wrists are sore you are most likely using your wrist in your shots to much. Go watch the videos Clalibus does on body mechanics and save yourself a lot of pain. They are on youtube, search skbc body mechanics.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Seconded. ACE elastic bandages are great, too, if you know how to use them, but you definitely need to use your wrists less.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Dyre » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Thank you both, I shall check out those gloves and wraps. I will also check out the video, hopefully it will help.

I will ask my realm leader to show me more techniques just in case I cannot understand the video.

Hopefully this will help my fighting style a little bit more. I have been trying to avoid harder shots recently, but that isnt always a good strategy.
Dyre
Toadie
Toadie

Postby giovinco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Elastic Bandages are essential when fighting persists to the point of injury. They should be part of every first aid kit, and can be used to compress swelling or secure hot and cold paks to the area.
giovinco
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Yeah I suggest learning to not throw with your wrist.

I used to do it, and my whole hand/wrist would hurt bad for a couple days. I thought it was just a part of fighting.

Even with barely decent body mechanics it should go away. God knows I have horrible body mechanics and my wrist stopped hurting.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Dyre » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Actually only a few weeks after I posted this, my wrists stopped hurting. I did make a pair of bracers which really help support my wrists. I think it was just the pain of starting out fast and furious while fighting.
Dyre
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Derian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Build strength to resolve pain before going to equipment.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to The Armory