Molding Leather

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Molding Leather

Postby Saria » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 pm

So I'm trying to make some leather armor, and I was hoping to make a molded leather cuirass that is formed perfectly to my torso, and is laced up the side. Since I want some flexibility in my armor, I was planning on using a solution specifically for forming leather which the store owner recommended to me, rather than boiling it.

Does anybody have any experience with molding leather? What is the best method for making a form of my torso?

Do you have any suggestions or advice on molded armor patterns, or how it affects your fighting?
Saria
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Aug 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Re: Molding Leather

Postby Arrakis » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Saria wrote:So I'm trying to make some leather armor, and I was hoping to make a molded leather cuirass that is formed perfectly to my torso, and is laced up the side. Since I want some flexibility in my armor, I was planning on using a solution specifically for forming leather which the store owner recommended to me, rather than boiling it.

Does anybody have any experience with molding leather? What is the best method for making a form of my torso?

Do you have any suggestions or advice on molded armor patterns, or how it affects your fighting?

Wet form it right onto your body. Water is all you need. It'll work fine. If you want to really sculpt the leather, dish it with a hammer and a dish/dishing stump. 13-15 oz leather is kind of hard to dish and stretch and mold, though.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Saria » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 pm

wouldn't it make more sense to form it onto something which is as solid as possible? My body would shift, and doesn't leather take a while to dry into the correct shape?
Saria
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Aug 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Ramius » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Saria wrote:wouldn't it make more sense to form it onto something which is as solid as possible? My body would shift, and doesn't leather take a while to dry into the correct shape?

Leather becomes very pliable when soaked in hot, but not boiling, leather (~180 degrees). It becomes so pliable that it is easily "pinch" molded, meaning that you can literally get forms to rise by pinching, bending, and pushing the leather. It is harder to explain than it is to show.

You should rough shape it to your body, then if you want more definition do so by working the piece over something with a similar shape. I have a friend that makes his leather elbow cops by cutting out the basic shapes, stiching them together, then soaking them and forming them over softballs (it works wonderfully).

After you form the leather, dry it by baking it (once again at roughly ~180 degrees). You will probably have to pull it out many times as the leather will naturally want to flatten itself out. Just reform it, and stick it back in.

Hope this helps.

-Ramius
Multisport Crossgaming Stickfighter

Acorn wrote:foam fighting is like ice cream: it comes in different flavors, but it's all delicious. and it's all ice cream.
Ramius
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2000

Postby Satanaka » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Wow- informative thread. I had stayed away from form fitting- due to not knowing how it would move and adjust.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:56 pm

If you want answers about specific processes, I would suggest PMing Forkbeard, or Magnus of the Red Hand. Both have a great deal of experience forming and hardening leather. If you would like to see some examples, check out Crynolyn's Pics of Samhain. Forkbeard is in the Red armor witht the lions on the breast, Magnus if the Black armor with all the design work and azon mail underneath.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

I've got a leather arm cannon. When I bought it (Morpheus made it) it was recommended that I just wear it in the shower and then let it dry on my arm a little tight. Fits amazingly. I'd just do the same thing with your armor.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra