Grunt

Started Fighting: 08 Jan 2004
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Breast Plate?

Postby Sieglatan » Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 pm

'ere we go!

I'm actually a little embarrassed to show these, as this is the armor at its perhaps 50% done stage- it functionally works very well, but looks like crap. Progress has also been slower than I liked, with mundane life getting in the way, and Lady Fideal here living about 30 miles from my house, making trips to measure and form a bit of a challenge.

The main body of the armor is hardened, super thick (15-16 oz) cow leather, with the cups and straps being made from 12 oz leather, which is why the cups have a sort of "splatted pancake" look to them. I also didn't anticipate how little this particular bend of leather reacted to my stretching machinations, so I ended up riveting the cups on the outside, sacrificing aestheticism for functionality, as usual. I also, at her request, left a lot of stretch room around the shoulders, with non-static rivets for the shoulder straps, so that her fighting (she's a dedicated sword and board) wouldn't be hampered.

Now that the work that she has to be here for is complete, I can now redivert my efforts towards design. I am going with a dark fey look, and my next act will be to make, out of thin, easily formed leather, leaves to cover the boobs in a pixy-esque way, and vines appearing to burst in an out of various other bits of the armor. Then, to cover the gaps in the shoulders, I am going to make hinged winged pauldrons, with a foresty skull motif.

In future designs, I will make the cups out of a leather that is a bit thinner, and more stretchy, since I'm doing two layers there anyways. For larger cup sizes, I would need to either close v-cuts at the base of the cups, or just make them out of several pieces.

I'll post more, as I go!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Bradshaw theRegicide » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 am

Sieglatan wrote: For larger cup sizes, I would need to either close v-cuts at the base of the cups, or just make them out of several pieces.

o.o wouldn't that have a tendency to make them pointy? Like Madonna pointy? I guess not if the leather was flexible enough but just a thought, what if you left the cups open at the top for larger sizes? Would that be easier? :neutral: Once again just a thought. Don't be embarrassed Sieglatan! You can tell its more function than form right now but isn't that what's really important? The ability to attack someone?
Bradshaw theRegicide
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 20 Mar 2010
Unit: Order of Fafnir
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Sieglatan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 am

Back after a long absence and a fevered rush to get things done before chaos~

The armor, by her request, went more for maneuverability than absolute defense, hence the openings near the arm pits (where besagews would historically cover).Given her small stature (she can disappear behind your average round shield by crouching), it has worked out quite well on a functional level-

The white leaves are made of formed armor leather, covered in white gypsum gesso, so that paint and dye will not have to compete with the leather tanning for color tonality.

The entire thing is now in her hands for painting, trimming, and such, so even I don't know how the final product will turn out. :)
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Sieglatan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:27 am

As for you, Ms. Regicide, I would definately do larger cups in several pieces- similar to how I would do a helm. If a smooth look is desired, then a thin bit of leather can go over it, and can be formed into whatever your hear desires-

As for the cleavage hole thing- it would work out to a degree, but if the cup size is large enough, than I would still need to make those in several pieces, as armor grade leather simply will not stretch that much (IMHE, of course). I have a few designs that I've drawn up to make the cleavage hole look more hellish, and grant better armor protection, if you are still interested.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Previous

Return to The Armory