Demonic Codpiece (finally!)

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Demonic Codpiece (finally!)

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Ever since making a fanged demon mask well over a year ago, I have thought about doing something disturbing and awesome like that as a part of an armor kit. Loving much of the violent imagery encapsulated in many historic suits of Maximellian armor, I long harbored to make an armored codpiece (is there an official name for that?) with a demon face. Getting shafted in the junk with a javelin bouncing off the ground four times at an Andor practice a few weeks ago, I expedited its construction, and began to look for a suitable design-

I thought about doing a laughing devil face, complete with fangs and a long suggestive tongue, or a frowning goblin face with an equally suggestive long nose, but realized that, while fun, they wouldn't be really battlefield practical, and people would probably go out of their way to land crotch shots on me. I also wanted something that was flat enough in profile that my current armor could slide over it, if need be, and would fit in my armor's (hopefully) slightly disturbing theme. After looking through many many old pictures of murder photographs, autopsy reports, and other pictures that the internet gods have defined as "creepypasta," I finally found a face to base off of~ Credits to the original artist, etc.

I loved how the face was flat enough for it to be somewhat practical, and easy to repair, and yet smiling and creepy, as if relishing in any carnage strewn about it, which perfectly fits with my theme. I started with measuring, pattern cutting, and forming a thick piece of veg tan leather (14 oz). Then came design work and more pattern cutting. I decided to layer the face a little bit, to give it more depth and realism- therefore, I did the gums, and teeth first.

Then came stitching, sealing, and painting. I made the teeth a bit more pointed, and a bit more rotted looking, because, well, why not? The last step will be to varnish the gums and teeth, so that they look wet and sticky.

After this, I plan on making the face, and forming it over the teeth, so it looks like skin almost tearing open trying to hold back a clenched maw of teeth.

The codpiece itself will attach to any common belt, so I should be able to wear this without armor, if I choose to, like at parties, Rocky horror, churches, etc.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Re: Demonic Codpiece (finally!)

Postby Vandey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Wait so if i get this right you wanna have a demonic mouth coming out of your crouch and then wear it to practice and church? Hmmm Awsome. But what about weddings im sure it would look great with a tux also would you be using it to teabag dead people cause that would be scary..
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 Dec 2008
Realm: Thorion Raiders
Unit: Rangers Of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine, Archery

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm having a Bel wedding and I think that it would be a great cod piece for my event. Consider this your official invitation Sieg: June 2011 in IOWA!
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Vandey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Well thats the most informal but awsome save the date i have ever seen. Congratz!
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:59 am

Vandey wrote:Wait so if i get this right you wanna have a demonic mouth coming out of your crouch and then wear it to practice and church? Hmmm Awsome. But what about weddings im sure it would look great with a tux also would you be using it to teabag dead people cause that would be scary..

I'd totally wear it to weddings and baby showers, so I could illustrate the virulent evil that can spring from one's loins... God, I hate children.

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:I'm having a Bel wedding and I think that it would be a great cod piece for my event. Consider this your official invitation Sieg: June 2011 in IOWA!

2011? By then, I should have my flamethower forge up and running! I might be able to bring some custom damascas knives as wedding presents... Thanks!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:59 am

Sieglatan wrote:I'd totally wear it to weddings and baby showers, so I could illustrate the virulent evil that can spring from one's loins... God, I hate children.

Don't forget baptisms and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.

Just wait till you have your own chitlins runnin' around. You'll still despise everyone else's spawn (particularly the ones of the parents who don't discipline or punish in any way), but you'll murder the first person to look at yours cross eyed if you had to.

Awesome craftsmanship. You need that cape of skulls I wrote about in the RP thread.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks! I'll try to find your skull cape idea- I thought of something like that for a character a few years ago, that would wear a **** ton of skulls on his back like a cape that were connected with steel wire, and packed to the brim with gunpowder, making a grisly cluster bomb...

I definitively agree- the world needs far more respectful, well disciplined children... Perhaps after I clone myself ten years from now, I'll find out~!

anyways...

Here's the back of the codpiece, with the straps to put a belt through, nail-riveted in-

Here's the unformed, dry face part, with a distinctive scratch on the upper right brow that I may do something with...

And here's after forming and rivet setting~! There's still a modest level of work to be done, and then to decide on a color to paint the face with, that will shade well, look slightly organic, and work with the rest of my armor's color scheme!

More to follow~!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Vandey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Thats like the scariest crouch area the world has ever seen.. excluding britny spears and paris hilton. So basically talking in a actual sense your just going for protection against accidents but your still making it armor grade so you can use your crouch to block shots? Hmmm good luck with that. And also with the forge and Cloneing yourself it should be fun to see.
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 am

Dude, your work is sick!

And I mistyped, I meant cape of scalps, not skulls.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32548

Tiberius Claudius wrote:
kadis wrote:You can make a simple scalp by cutting a round off of a wig and gluing it to a few scraps of leather. Six or seven of these and you have yourself a nice little half string of scalps you can hang from your shoulder. Make sure you ether use short hair wigs or you braid the long hair ones so they don't get in the way.

This idea brought back good memories!

If you have read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (you should if you haven't!), then you'll remember that the character Stein, Imperial Order ambassador to Anderith wore a cape of human scalps:

Stein lifted his cape out to the side. "These are the scalps of the gifted. I killed each myself. I have prevented each of these witches from twisting the lives of normal people."
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Bradshaw theRegicide » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 am

Dear Lord Sieglatan! You are amazing! That's one hell of an STD :eyes:
Bradshaw theRegicide
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 20 Mar 2010
Unit: Order of Fafnir
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby PhotoJoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Vandey wrote:Thats like the scariest crouch area the world has ever seen.

I'd hit that

. . . with the longest spear I could find.
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Postby Spike » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Mind if I ask how those teeth are attached?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Sieglatan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Vandey wrote:So basically talking in a actual sense your just going for protection against accidents but your still making it armor grade so you can use your crouch to block shots? Hmmm good luck with that..

I've always liked armor, and I've been wanting to do something like this for a long while (hence the "finally" in the title line), but I usually have good enough foot work that its a real rarity that I get hit in the junk. It was only a few weeks ago that I took a really painful crotch shot, followed by several javelin shafts, that I moved this to the top of my armor to-do list. Tactically, it is actually a small disadvantage, since i cannot puss out and say graze, or shot shift and take a leg, when I get hit there, but I built this to be fully functional. Now granted, the day that Forkbeard injects PCP and steroids into his eyeballs and lifts me into orbit with a crotch shot from Thor's hammer, I'll still have to sit out a round or two, but for most strikes, I won't have to miss fights because my gamete factories are hurting. I'm not actually going to be waving my pelvis about trying to catch glaive shots... I only do that on a second date.

Tiberius- Thanks! I have to admit that the temptation to make a Caligula codpiece was hard to resist! And I remember that thread! Fun times...

Bradshaw- What in Hell did you give me? Every time I try to scratch it, it bites me! :P

Photojoe- that made me laugh pretty hard- thanks!

Spike- No problem at all~ I used a very sharp knife and cut indents into the gums where the teeth would be, such that they fit snugly without sticking out too much. Then I simply glued them in with a phosphorus- based bone glue. Given 2 hours, it will form an extremely hard bond, making the teeth almost impossible to pull out. I did the same thing with my second fighting mask, pictured in my avatar, and no teeth have fallen out, after a year of moving, and several dozen red hits to the face.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Vandey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:25 am

Well thats all my questions ill still be checking in to see whats going on. Good work so far it looks amazing keep it up.
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 am

Cool man. Lets see it with the rest of your gear.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Derian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Sieglatan wrote:phosphorus- based bone glue

Interesting. I've got a few projects on hold because I haven't found a reliable way to attach leather that doesn't involve the use of rivets or lacing of some kind. I'd love to see a recommendation/source for this if you have an online one.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby The Lost Celt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 am

You know, I gotta give you credit - that's about two steps above most fantasy armor here, and the forming for the face is very nice... Gotta say it'd be a bit creepy to see something like that covering someone's junk, but I suppose that's the point eh?

BTW Demonic Codpiece is about the best thread title ever for the armour forum ;)

Keep posting pics as you progress, it's very interesting.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Genetic » Sat May 01, 2010 1:00 am

looks like some thing Gwar would wear.. you need to make a cuddle fish ..
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"
Genetic
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Feb 2010
Realm: Nomads
Favorite Fighting Styles: Clubbing Baby Seals

Postby Sieglatan » Sat May 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Bah- I finally decided on a color scheme and had a pic of the thing in full armor gear, but for some reason, my comp isn't loading the forum page, so I can't load anything just yet (this is being written off my phone, so please excuse the roughness).

I made my own glue by grinding up some rabbit bones, mixing them with chimney ashes, boiling the mixture in water (don't breathe the fumes, or you'll get phossy jaw, no joke), drying it into little pellets, and then mixing them again with water! I wanted to use the last of the stuff I had lying around, and I'm certain a modern epoxy, superglue, or even elmers' white glue will do the trick. Just mind that you need as much contact surface as possible- hense the sockets I cut into the gums for each tooth, and I've never glued anything to leather larger than large fangs, so I cannot really attest to any structual integrity in pieces that are larger... Hope that helps!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 am

Made your own glue out of rabbit bones.......Phossy jaw

You are hard core to the max. I don't know whether to call you freaking MacGyver or the Mad Hatter.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Vandey » Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 am

Note to self never ever ever!! make glue that way! The painful death part and removal of jaw means ill just use gorilla glue....
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Caleidah » Sun May 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Sieg, I sent you a PM.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sieglatan » Sun May 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Vandey wrote:Note to self never ever ever!! make glue that way! The painful death part and removal of jaw means ill just use gorilla glue....

A small price to pay in exchange for being completely period! And having a glow-in-the-dark jaw that leaks rotted septic fluid and decayed bone! You could totally larp a zombieman or something! But seriously, you have to work in a completely unventilated enviroment for many years, but why risk it if you have gorilla glue!

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Made your own glue out of rabbit bones.......Phossy jaw

You are hard core to the max. I don't know whether to call you freaking MacGyver or the Mad Hatter.

Hahahaha- just call me Sieg.

Caleidah wrote:Sieg, I sent you a PM.

I got it, man. As soon as I can access the forum on something other than my phone, Ill shoot back! I like the idea you had, and it really shouldn't me too hard to pull off convincingly.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Derian » Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm

I might be able to lend a hand with the forum problems. What's the error you get?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Vandey » Sun May 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Sieglatan wrote:
Vandey wrote:Note to self never ever ever!! make glue that way! The painful death part and removal of jaw means ill just use gorilla glue....

A small price to pay in exchange for being completely period! And having a glow-in-the-dark jaw that leaks rotted septic fluid and decayed bone! You could totally larp a zombieman or something! But seriously, you have to work in a completely unventilated enviroment for many years, but why risk it if you have gorilla glue!

Ya.... Something tells me one day im gonna be fighting you and ur jaws gonna fall off...
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Sieglatan » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Cool man. Lets see it with the rest of your gear.
FB

Here we go-

A work in progress, which has been poorly attended to, thanks to finals and mundane work (I'm still wearing my polo shirt and black khakis from work underneath this :unsure: ...).

I stuck a side shot in to show that the codpiece adheres to my hit well enough to absorb some force, and that it can slide underneath the cuirass plates, if need be. The mirror shot just looked cool, I thought. The helm is also a work in progress, as I need to shave the front plate a bit, and then burn a design into it...

The painting on the daemon face isn't complete, as I still need to add highlights and dark washes to make it look more... real.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Caleidah » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 am

Lookin' sick, Sieg. I figured you'd end up painting the demon face a lighter color, though that works well. Can't wait to see what it looks like all finished up.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 am

That really is wicked looking.

Your whole getup reminds me of a less corny version of the Brundlefly.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Sieglatan » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 am

lol, thanks- I had to google "The Brundlefly" and yeah, I've gotten the fly remark at every field I've fought on- my next fighting mask will have a more decorative Mirmillones type eye- holes, but for now, this one has 100% unobstructed vision, good protection and ventilation, and scares the crap out of neophytes and skilled fighters (they can't see where I'm looking, so they don't know where I'm anticipating to give or receive an attack), so I'm still wearing it to practice~!

Caleidah- yeah, I'm planning on painting it a more drab color with an ink wash, or just over coats of the red paint mixed with back. Someone looking at it in person noted that, as it is, it doesn't really fit with my color scheme at all, to the point of being garish. I'm also kicking myself for messing up with the teeth and the eyes, and so I may just make a new one, and either sell this one, give it away, or burn it in a ritualized setting. It all depends on how the new paint/burn job will look...

As for practicality, it works, and works well (at least as well as conventional athletic supporters that I've worn in the past)!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Caleidah » Fri May 07, 2010 6:35 am

If you're going to get rid of it, make it a trophy for an event that you hold in the future. I'd say to give it to either first or last place on a single blue tourney or to the first person to take a shot to the crotch during the event.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Acorn » Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 pm

i like the second idea. brilliant.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Sieglatan » Sat May 08, 2010 10:48 am

yeah... after some thought, I'm going to make another, scarier codpiece. The red one really doesn't fit thematically, and looks quite jarring next to the fluting of the cuirass. The next one will do a better job at forming together with my total armor kit- and this one will be a prize for Salamandastron's first event!

Who wants to help me flute my codpiece?
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby The Lost Celt » Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

How *did* you do the eyes on your current helmet? It looks a bit asymmetrical so I'm thinking it's hand made?

Still think the codpiece is awesome but if you make a second one, hell, I'd just repaint it white and give it eyepieces similar to the ones on your helmet.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Forkbeard » Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 am

Very cool, man.
I like it.
You could try dying your red. I always dye red, black and brown. I paint on other colors.
That face would look good ox-blood colored with a light darkis wash. and then polished. The polish makes everything darker.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip