Leather armor weight

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Leather armor weight

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

So, all you leather-smiths out there. How much leather do you recommend someone to get when making a full suit of leather armor (15lbs, 30lbs??). I've made bracers and greaves before, but they were simple, single layer pieces and it was years ago, so I don't remember how much leather I used was...

I was thinking something close to V'hil's armor (not his uruk armor) for a style that would benefit me more than my chainmail is (I'm out of shape and I run too much to be hindered by 40lbs of metal)

Thanks,
~Þ~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Re: Leather armor weight

Postby Derian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

You're a smaller guy, IIRC, yes? You *might* be able to do that with one side, though if you want all the pieces to be of good quality (free of brands, not excessively fatty, etc.) and to factor in screwups, I'd go with two sides.

Depending on the thickness of the leather itself, the weight will vary. A rough guess, I'd say... 20-25 pounds for a full kit at 12 oz. thickness?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Yea, guess I should add in I'm 6' 150lbs. I was looking * Tandy and their armor grade is 14-16oz, is that the right stuff?

And with your estimate being at half the weight of my chain I'm thrilled! :D

Thanks.

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Derian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 pm

You can use that. I prefer the saddle skirting, but will generally buy whatever is cheaper. The saddle skirting is generally about 12-13 oz. Some of the side will be less than armor grade (usually less than 10%), but it's so much easier to work than the sole bends.

If you're buying soon, definitely go with the saddle skirting. Tandy has it on sale right now until the 24th of July for $75/side, which is a great deal.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Definitely not going to be buying soon...I figured I'd get my answers now so when I'm able to get the leather I'd just grab which ever is cheapest at the time, but if the saddle skirting is legal armor grade I'll probably just go with that for workability as well as the 'slightly' thinner leather will let me feel shots a little easier since I KNOW my hit calibration is off since I've been down here in TX and not fighting...

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kraesh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Azgarehta wrote:**** YOUR SHOES ROBOT!

A little blast from the past in light of the bot.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Return to The Armory