How does sweat affect leather?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How does sweat affect leather?

Postby Kraesh » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:57 pm

So last Thursday I was spearing and building up a hell of a sweat that was absolutely pouring and I looked at my bracers in the light when I got home from practice at around 10:30 and they were a different shade because of the sweat so I set them out to dry. I was just wondering, what effect does sweat have on leather? What should I do next time to tend to this if it could have potentially bad effects? And how should I go about letting it dry for as little change in the leather as possible (I've heard sweat hardens leather).

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Re: How does sweat affect leather?

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:25 am

Different people have different amounts of acidity in their sweat.
I sweat clear through my armor(gross, I know) and it's fine. I've done this for years with no ill effects.
I know an SCA guy who rots a pair of gloves into rags in a few weeks. His sweat just seems to eat leather. Sad, as he is a great leather worker and has to constantly make new gear.
It will mildew. Always let it dry fully in open air. Keep it clean. Put a little neatsfoot oil or some other protectant on it, if you feel like you have to do something. I've never treated my armor with anything.
We live in a desert, Karesh. It is really good for leather. You people who live near the sea, or(ugh) in the south, really need to keep an eye on the mildew thing. Humidity is a bigger problem than sweat.
If you want it to hold a shape, take it off and let it dry in that shape every time you wear it, even usually flat un hardend leather will permanently take a shape afer enough of this.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Zuloo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:54 pm

thats actually how i got my bracer to fit my arm properly, at first it was ignorable but still irritating and wouldnt fit right, after a few practices i just sweat into the leather enough for it to shape itself to my arm lol
Squire to Sir Leaf
Zuloo
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 08 Jan 2004
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Kraesh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah that's sorta what happened, I didn't drip sweat all over my bracers, it just went right through them from my forearms underneath, it was kinda disturbing. I think I may wear them while they dry next time, get them to form to my arms better. Alright, thanks for the help guys.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Postby bo1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:52 am

someone told me once, so take it as you wish, that sweat forming leather is a secondary step to hardening. i dont wear armor at all anymore, but it seemed to be the case in the past. i would make something, form it, harden cook it, then it would rub me all raw for 2 practices, then fit like a glove forever.

then on a second peice, it was summer and pretty hot. i just took a hose and soaked myself with the armor on, then payed for a few hours. then took it off and hung it on my armor stand. bammo perfect fit.

ah the beauty of leather armor.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Karyx » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 am

bo1 wrote:someone told me once, so take it as you wish, that sweat forming leather is a secondary step to hardening. i dont wear armor at all anymore, but it seemed to be the case in the past. i would make something, form it, harden cook it, then it would rub me all raw for 2 practices, then fit like a glove forever.

then on a second peice, it was summer and pretty hot. i just took a hose and soaked myself with the armor on, then payed for a few hours. then took it off and hung it on my armor stand. bammo perfect fit.

on a similar note:
a friend of mine wears leather boots for absolutely everything, and swears up&down that if you wear them in the shower once (not joking at all), and let them dry, they will never leave blisters or any other injury.
Karyx

My family? Its kinda like the Mafia. Once you're in, there's really only one way out.

Jonkah wrote:... just remember the golden rule of noobs: if you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth!
Karyx
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Beornve
Favorite Fighting Styles: oooo... BARLEY-TECH!! O_o

Postby Beck » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Karyx wrote:
bo1 wrote:someone told me once, so take it as you wish, that sweat forming leather is a secondary step to hardening. i dont wear armor at all anymore, but it seemed to be the case in the past. i would make something, form it, harden cook it, then it would rub me all raw for 2 practices, then fit like a glove forever.

on a similar note:
a friend of mine wears leather boots for absolutely everything, and swears up&down that if you wear them in the shower once (not joking at all), and let them dry, they will never leave blisters or any other injury.

Back in the olden days (they might still do it) when the Military was still wearing the black spit shined jumper boots they would wake you up in the middle of your first night at bootcamp and have you trudge through water with your boxers/swimsuit and boots on then walk the rest of the night to break in your boots.
Noik wrote:And Beck that was dumb.

Forkbeard wrote:This Beck kid is a moron.
FB
Beck
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 25 May 2008
Realm: Northlands
Unit: ABF
Favorite Fighting Styles: SnB, Two Stick, Single

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Beck wrote:Back in the olden days (they might still do it) when the Military was still wearing the black spit shined jumper boots they would wake you up in the middle of your first night at bootcamp and have you trudge through water with your boxers/swimsuit and boots on then walk the rest of the night to break in your boots.

We did that when I joined, except it wasn't in the middle of the night. The next group in got the brown suede boots and digital uniforms, so they didn't have to do any of that old Corps uniform maintenance stuff.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm

My pops always said the best way to break in new boots was to wear them through the creek and then walk 'em dry. I did the same thing with my armor when I got it, soaked it down and wore it dry, best way to make your armor fit well.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Kraesh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 pm

So, after a while of observation, I've noticed that my sweat doesn't have any ill affects on the leather. Although, after wearing them until they dry I've noticed that it leaves a layer of white powder on the leather. I'm guessing it's salt from the sweat, I'm going to take a damp sponge and pretty much give my bracers a sponge bath. Hopefully that works, would anybody advise against that?

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Zuloo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 am

although i have found out that sweat does tend to soften the leather a little bit, my pauldrons went from courboil hardened that couldnt bend at all to being so soft its like they were never hardened.
so imo sweat does soften leather a bit
Squire to Sir Leaf
Zuloo
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 08 Jan 2004
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Bortas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm

The heat of CW was more of an issue than the moisture, imo.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Return to The Armory