Kidney protection

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Kidney protection

Postby Arco » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I have an interesting question. I have a person who is interested in playing but has told me he can't get hit in the kidney area. I suggested he wear plate for armor seeing as it has no give. But I also know that plate can be expensive. Are there any ideas or suggestions to help him?
Thank you,
Arco

He has one kidney so I am not sure what would happen if he got hit hard.
Last edited by Arco on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arco
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 16 Jan 2010
Realm: Mag Mell
Unit: Celtic Warrior
Favorite Fighting Styles: Open

Re: Kidney protection

Postby Richard le Gris » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Used football or hockey hip pads an option? I use chunks of a HDPE plastic drum lined with blue camp pad and held in place with a 2" wide web belt as my kidney belt. Since it is safety gear it doesn't have to pass the armor regulations, just needs to be safe (probably penny round). Dark Victory Armory carries a HDPE kidney belt too that might be more in your friend's price range http://cgi.ebay.com/Kidney-belt-armor-armour-SCA-HDPE-Many-Sizes-/120462031502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0c18ba8e#ht_2795wt_1138 Honestly, SCA players are your best bet to ask, as kidney belts are required armor in that system. Good thing there are a good number of cross players on this board!
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby Tiercel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 pm

To get an idea of how hard-core the protective gear needs to be, just how bad are the consequences if your friend DOES get hit in the kidneys?
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby varadin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 am

Cheap option would be a weight lifting belt covering the kidneys. You can find them used for cheap. Some dont cover enough and youd be forced to modify/add on to them. Normally people arent going to aim near armor if they have the chance.

If its like You touch my kidneys and they explode, this isnt the sport for them. If they can take a bit of a beating and just tend to have sensitive kidneys plate armor is a wise investment.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby konradr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Do a google search for "SCA Armouries" and check out the "Munitions grade" armor. That is the mild steel stuff. Its cheaper. It needs to be cleaned with oil after use as it will rust. Glue some blue foam on it and its good protection. Strap it yourself and save money.

They have what they call a "Body bracelet" which is plate that covers the kidneys and lower abs up to the breastbone. Prices are always going up, but I got mine for under $50. You might be able to find some on Ebay too.

Konradr Greywolf of Barad'Dun
konradr
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 08 Apr 2009
Realm: Barad dun
Unit: Royal Army of Barad dun
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword, Flail & Axe

Postby Skeith, the Forsaken » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 am

I use a lamellar kidney belt in SCA as my torso protection. Like Konradr said it will run from your waist up over your short rib. A kidney belt gives ample boffer protection and you can make a nice one fairly cheap if you are handy. That's what my suggestion would be for your recruit.
The eye guides me, rise up, he commands me to fight, kill, and die, for you only my master. I will let none survive...
Image Image
Skeith, the Forsaken
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 24 Nov 2003
Realm: Lyonesse
Unit: Army of Mordor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, mostly board.

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:05 am

Get designs for a body bracelet or large kidney belt from the armourarchive.org.
Watch Tandy leather for a sale on "Sole/armor bend leather" this stuff is the best, do not accept anything less.
Make your kidney protection out of this. Mkae it good and comfy for him. If he's gonna always wear it, make the rest of his garb and armo gladiator style. This will make it the central piece so it will always look like it ought to be there.
Sole bend is the hardest, strongest leather that there is. After you water harden it, it will keep its shape forever. It is as hard as plastic, but stronger and count for armor.
Most of my SCA **** is made out of it.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Shino » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I used to be real sensitive to taking hard hits around my lower back too. I made a leather piece to give me some protection and then later made a fatty kidney belt that my little bro now uses. That kidney belt it hardened with wax and is like SCA durable.

Now I have a leather weight belt that is 2 sizes to big for me to the back of it gives be good protection around my lumbar area. I only wear it if I think the field might get rough.
(me on the left with the weight belt)
I don't usually wear anything anymore however cause I put some muscle on my frame and kind of HTFU over the years. But I'm sure if I had one kidney I'd be protective of it too.

Hope this helps!
Merciless Michael of God Squad
Gelfan Empire
Dragoon and Knight of Babylon
Shino
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mantis

Return to The Armory