Helms and Noses

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Helms and Noses

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:59 pm

I was wondering if wearing certain types of helms either offer eye/face/nose protection or make it so you are more inclined to breaking your nose. Anything to make sure you get or don't get?

Thanks,
Ana
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Helms and Noses

Postby Tiercel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Uvex makes a pair of safety glasses suitable for use on a gun range that contour well to the face and are so flexible they won't increase the risk of nose or face injury. They fit close enough to the face that you could wear them under most some masks without being too much a pain. I can't offer a testimony as to how tell they stay on in combat, though, because I almost always forget to bring 'em to practice.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:34 pm

I can tell you from experience that nasal pieces, even just rigid leather ones, can save your nose from unnecessary breakage. The key is to get the helm and nasal to fit correctly so that it actually protects, and won't potentially make it worse.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Derian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 pm

I can't possibly comprehend how a helm would make you more susceptible to having your nose broken. The worst case would be that it would function the same as an unarmored nose.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby No'Vak » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Thats an incredibly vague question, Ana.

I gotta agree with Derian..
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:20 am

I suppose if you fitted a steel nose plate, with a hinge at the brim of the helm, such that a good foam hit would lever the edge of the steel plate into the soft part of their nasal bridge, that would do the nose breaking trick.

I'm sure you could get creative with a pair of hidden pressure-triggered pneumatic hammers behind the temples or ears if you really wanted to make your harm helm as complete as you want it~!

Making Cheeseheart's Darth Vader helm with a modified obedience and punishment features?
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby No'Vak » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 am

I suggest one of the hammers on the temple with a small spike on it.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:25 am

I would also suggest a tongue plate from a Scold's Bridle, too- Either one that's a spiked wheel, or a just a bladed tongue depressor, so that if he/she tries to talk, it shreds up their mouth.

Oh, and locking buckles, of course.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Caleidah » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:34 am

Sieglatan wrote: Making Cheeseheart's Darth Vader helm with a modified obedience and punishment features?

I missed your posts.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Dawken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 am

Is correct padding the answer to this post? I'm confused? I'd say it doesn't really matter on the type of helm as long as you have it padded correctly. Unless someone just straight up smashes you in the face with the god hand I don't see how your helm that is padded correctly would break your nose. If your worried about a face injury there is a post where some guy made a sick helm out of a lacrosse guard. That would pretty much keep your face in good shape. The post is called Helm+lacrosse goggles. If you want to look at that.
Dawken
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2007
Unit: Exile
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red

Postby warwell » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:22 am

As others mentioned, padding it to fit right is key.

I fought in Adria with an improperly fitted/padded (full metal) helmet. I got hit in the mouth with a spear. The impact caused the helmet to shift so that the helmet smashed against my nose. No breakage but I had a big gash across my nose.

So I agree with Anastasia that a helmet can make it more likely to injure your nose. Again, that is if the helmet doesn't fit and is not padded properly.

YIS,

Rufus
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 am

Common sense is your freind here. If you invest in a MASK made from flexible leather, you'll get no protection. If you wind up with a rigid peice over your face, but it's mounted on some kind of crappy flexible leather headband, you'll be even worse off.
You should make/buy a helm that is made to protect, not made to meet minimum armor requirmnets for our stupid game.
You want an all hardened, solid construction helm with a solid face attched. Even a hinged face would work great, provided it's mounted right and comprehensive. A nasal on a solid helm would do you alot of good, but only if you have aproper chin strap. In fact, any helm you get you'll want a good chin strap. This is the area where most people **** it up. Most helmets do not come with staps OR padding. In fact, I've never seen a decent helmet (either SCA or Belegarth) that come with either. I've been including chin straps with mine lately, but I'm always paranoid they wont fit. I have been fortunate latley to have customers with fairly uniform heads.
Once you figure out what kind of helmet your getting, start looking up methods of strapping SCA helmets. There are many tutorials for this. The reason you need to do it yourself is fit. You can make the strap fit, then **** up the padding. Or you can get the padding to feel just right, but if you put in lust a little too much, you can't strap it on straight. Don't give up early. Making your helm fit right is the most important thing.
In the end, it isn't a style of helm that is better or worse. It's fit and quality.
Since I am a shamless *... I DO make very nice fully hardened leather helmets. They are probly the best (out of leather) out there just now. I can make you any style you want.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Arrakis » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am

I've been beating myself about the face recently to see just what my new hardened leather mask is going to do to perceived impact from strikes. So far, with a little padding in it and a single strap that runs to the back point of my skull, it seems to absorb and spread impacts out pretty * well, resulting in a net decrease in pain, aftereffects, and perceived hardness of hit. I'm pretty sure it would keep my nose from being broken by a javelin that otherwise would have, but probably not a redsword that would have. That amount of protection will likely be one of the goals of the next helm I make.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks FB, Sieg, and Arrakkis, that's what I was looking for.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting