my first, an odd, helmet

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

my first, an odd, helmet

Postby Victor Slade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm

This is my first helmet, i made it out of
-Scrap leather from Hobby lobby, 1/8 Thick (i dapped it together to meet thickness requirements)
-An old Tae Kwon Do belt
-DAP (lack of rivets and leather lace)
-A small amount of Gorilla Tape
-Black paint

This is the result of all that, i do realize it looks like something off of bleach. That wasnt my intent but i dont disaprove either
What do all of you think?
*belegarth practice*
guy 1 "oww you hit me too hard"
guy 2 "do you need a spoon?"
guy 1 "why would i need a spoon?"
guy 2 "to dig the sand out of your *"
Victor Slade
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Bael Turath
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Re: my first, an odd, helmet

Postby Cade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:21 pm

For a first try, its not bad.

You could definitely do better with more time and access to better materials, but for something that came out of the hobby lobby scrap bin, not bad at all.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby NessiePop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 pm

i likes it
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby Arrakis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Ok. Don't take this the wrong way.

First, are you sure it's leather and not pleather or vinyl? The edges look suspiciously fuzzy. Second, I wouldn't be happy, as a herald, if you were counting shots with javelins and arrows and rocks to any part of your head above the band as hitting armor and you're going to need to take any shots that hit you through those eyeholes, too, as they look plenty big to get a lot of the face of an arrow against your eye. Consider investing in some black dye (Fiebings is good and cheap).

Also, before you take it to an event, get a pair of calipers or a set of shims or something (a ruler isn't really useful at this size) and see if it actually meets thickness; it looks really thin.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Arrakis wrote:Also, before you take it to an event, get a pair of calipers or a set of shims or something (a ruler isn't really useful at this size) and see if it actually meets thickness; it looks really thin.

Victor Slade wrote:This is my first helmet, i made it out of
-Scrap leather from Hobby lobby, 1/8 Thick (i dapped it together to meet thickness requirements)

The Book of War wrote:Appendix A
3. Armor Checking
3.5. The minimum thickness for leather Armor is 3/16 inch. The minimum thickness requirement can be achieved by layering up to two pieces of thinner leather.

1/8" thickness is "2/16". If that's the total thickness, it doesn't pass.

On an ego stroking note, I can't see pictures on my work's internet because they're one of the ever increasing number of tools of the devil, otherwise I'd give you kudos on what everyone else says looks like a decent helm.
Last edited by Tiberius Claudius on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Derian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:03 pm

He said he doubled it up, thus being 4/16" thick.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I saw that he doubled it "to meet thickness requirements", but it wasn't clear to me that the double thickness was 1/8" x 2, or a total of 1/8". People make things all the time that they think meet the rules but end up not.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Victor Slade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 pm

my bad, to clerify i dapped 2 pieces of 1/8 inch leather, thus making it 2/8 (4/16) thick

however i took they advise of measuring the thickness and it ended up being 3/16"

also, im going to close up the head when i find more leather to make it a slight more pratical
*belegarth practice*
guy 1 "oww you hit me too hard"
guy 2 "do you need a spoon?"
guy 1 "why would i need a spoon?"
guy 2 "to dig the sand out of your *"
Victor Slade
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Bael Turath
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby Cade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 pm

Victor Slade wrote:my bad, to clerify i dapped 2 pieces of 1/8 inch leather, thus making it 2/8 (4/16) thick

however i took they advise of measuring the thickness and it ended up being 3/16"

also, im going to close up the head when i find more leather to make it a slight more pratical

Find yourself a tandy leather, or a gun shop that deals in old guns. They might have some leather laying around. I know theres an old gun shop up here that carries leather for things like knife sheaths.

If you are desperate, you can go to goodwill and pick yourself up random items made of leather. Weight belts, regular belts, Leather bags, etc etc. Just be sure of the thickness before you buy it. And make sure its really leather, lots of fake stuff floating around. It's not ideal, but beggars can't be choosers.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Return to The Armory