Need Suggestions on this Helm

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Need Suggestions on this Helm

Postby Fitz Caliston » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Ok, so I'm at a empass in my helm making experiment and need suggestions or thoughts.

This is the Mask/Faceplate I have for my Deathknight Set (it may get scrapped for another latter):

Now then I have 2 skullcaps currently that it could go on.
The first one was my initial experiement and I had the original pattern scaled large AND used 2 different thickness of leather so when I shaped the dome it went all funky at first until I improvized and added the mowhak crest bump thingy.

The Second turned out much better but I had to use 8 panels instead of 4 because I decided to use only the thickest stuff I had (which I only had scraps of).

So, I'd like to use it on the 2nd cap which I have added more pieces to:

But I'm not sure it looks right, I almost want to make a different face plate for this cap and use the first messed up and just turn this into an undead/monster helm mask.

Any thoughts? suggestions?
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 1999
Realm: SLC UT
Unit: Gryphter

Re: Need Suggestions on this Helm

Postby Cade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Ok, first things first. I like the mask, and i like the second cap with the eight sections. They both look really nice. Great job forming leather there.

The issue i see is that you have a mask and a helmet and are trying to combine the two. While it can be done, its not going to look as good as ether of the two separately. Again, just my opinion, not a hard and fast rule.

Since your character is a Death Knight, i would make the mask a mask, and then make the helm separately to look like a helm.

A death knights helm can look very much like a normal helm. You have the hard part done even. The dome cap is the hardest part of a helm to get right imo. Least its always the one i struggle with. I would add a faceplate to it that covers your face completely, and looks evil, without looking organic.

Use the mask for more of a light armor set, or for roll play or whatever it is you do when your not trying to scare the pee out of new guys.

I would look to warhammer for inspiration on a death knight. The Chaos Chosen has the look of a deathknight, or what i would think a deathknight should look like. Google it and see what you come up with. Their helms are sick looking, generally with giant horns and such. Remove the horns and you have yourself a very nice practical helm that looks evil enough to work as a deathkngiht helm.

The mask you can handle in any way you like. Turn it into a full head mask, or just attach it with a strap around the head. Its really up to you. There are more than a few very nice examples of masks and helms here on the forums, just do a little searching. Use what pieces you like and modify what you don't.

Again these are just my opinions and thoughts. Take them as you will, and good luck to you. Lookin good so far though.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks Kade, you echo'd what my subconscious was telling me, albeit much better.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Fitz Caliston » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Had my buddy over working on his Bazubands and he suggested dyeing them both. They kinda work all black. Still haven't made up my mind yet though.

Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Isk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 pm

I don't know anything about Deathknights, but I like the way the mohawky dome works with the mask. Personally, I think it would be awesome if the mask could ride up along that mohawk ridge when you raise the visor. I would love the ability to lift it up between rounds and then rock it down into place as I faced off against the other line.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Kraesh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 am

Isk wrote:I don't know anything about Deathknights, but I like the way the mohawky dome works with the mask. Personally, I think it would be awesome if the mask could ride up along that mohawk ridge when you raise the visor. I would love the ability to lift it up between rounds and then rock it down into place as I faced off against the other line.

Like I did at Samhain with my helm? :D

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby DJordan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:08 am

Lovin the helm Fitz, I think a little bit of chainmail hangin off the sides would look really good.
Squire to Sir Shino
DJordan
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 22 Apr 2010

Postby Cade » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 am

If your going to marry the two, it needs hair. Go to a costume shop, get a bob marley wig, and add dreadlocks to that thing.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Fitz Caliston » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:17 am

woot! rezzed by a bot to remind me to finish this thing.... once comissioned projects are done that is... And yeah I'm wanting to do a crest or leather braids like the vampire helms in Underworld 2.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Return to The Armory