Ankle and wrist wrap ideas...?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ankle and wrist wrap ideas...?

Postby Maylin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm

I was planning on making both wrist and leg wraps, but I can't find any good plans. I found some fabric-backed leather at a craft store I was going to use. I want a thumb loop on one end, then a wrap that extended up to my elbow, with possibly a tie or metal clasp to close. Same closing design on the ankle wrap with the loop around the heel and wrapped up to my knee. Anyone have a good idea? Anything helps!
There is a thin line between good and evil. A single word can push someone toward good, but a single glance can send someone spiraling into evil.
Maylin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Jan 2010
Realm: Niflheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archer; sword and board combo

Re: Ankle and wrist wrap ideas...?

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Do you mean for joint support or for historical costuming purposes?

Historical leg-wraps: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o ... q=winingas
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Maylin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Mostly for joint support (at least in the wrists). I also fight barefooted, so some support would be nice in the ankles as well...
There is a thin line between good and evil. A single word can push someone toward good, but a single glance can send someone spiraling into evil.
Maylin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Okay. I'd just buy some ACE elastic bandages if I were you. I wear Century mma bag gloves with the palm bar seam-ripped out and they have wrist straps that support my wrists sufficiently and if you like the feel of fighting barefoot and you ever get the money together, I hear many many good things about Vibram Fivefingers.
Arrakis

Postby Maylin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks Arrakis! I'll shop around, see what I come up with.
Maylin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby fishstix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 pm

i own a pair of vibrams fivefingers. not the toughest shoes i've ever owned but imnsho (in my not so humble opinion) some kind of toe covering is just a good idea considering how many people wear boots out there. i've had my toenails bent backwards/ torn partially off before not much fun. they'll be tore up plenty by the end of a few events but they'll work just fine. and they are the closest i've ever come to being barefoot while still having some foot protection.
fishstix
Underling
Underling

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 pm

Wear shoes....I used to fight barefooted, until I got a 3 inch thorn pushed through my foot and couldn't fight for a good month because of the pain. Also, if you wrap your ankles and your wrists, you will never develop the strength to fight without them. I have been doing this (foam-fighting) for 15+ years. I have done so in low top shoes and no wrist wrappings of any kind. I have never turned and ankle and the only wrist injury I have ever gotten wouldn't have been prevented by wrist wraps. IMO, if you are going to be punching things, or doing heavy weight lifting, wrap that ****. Otherwise, you really don't need it.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby SolidSam » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Wear shoes....I used to fight barefooted, until I got a 3 inch thorn pushed through my foot and couldn't fight for a good month because of the pain. Also, if you wrap your ankles and your wrists, you will never develop the strength to fight without them. I have been doing this (foam-fighting) for 15+ years. I have done so in low top shoes and no wrist wrappings of any kind. I have never turned and ankle and the only wrist injury I have ever gotten wouldn't have been prevented by wrist wraps. IMO, if you are going to be punching things, or doing heavy weight lifting, wrap that ****. Otherwise, you really don't need it.

I was planning on doing nothing but wraps on my feet for historical purposes/protection until I read this. Thanks for the info.

Do you guys wear KSO or Vibrams like they are? Or do you try to disguise them when you go on the field?
SolidSam
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Nov 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hard and Fast.

Postby Kraesh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:55 pm

SolidSam wrote:
Soo Ma Tai wrote:Wear shoes....I used to fight barefooted, until I got a 3 inch thorn pushed through my foot and couldn't fight for a good month because of the pain. Also, if you wrap your ankles and your wrists, you will never develop the strength to fight without them. I have been doing this (foam-fighting) for 15+ years. I have done so in low top shoes and no wrist wrappings of any kind. I have never turned and ankle and the only wrist injury I have ever gotten wouldn't have been prevented by wrist wraps. IMO, if you are going to be punching things, or doing heavy weight lifting, wrap that ****. Otherwise, you really don't need it.

I was planning on doing nothing but wraps on my feet for historical purposes/protection until I read this. Thanks for the info.

Do you guys wear KSO or Vibrams like they are? Or do you try to disguise them when you go on the field?

Just the way they are for me. I know some people get them and dye them to the proper color. I even heard from Gamhain about a guy in dag that got them in a color close to his skin color and has sewn fake fur to the top to fit his hobbit persona.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Derian's working on some SIIIIICCCK leather armor sabatons to cover his, sometimes.
Arrakis

Postby Derian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah, I haven't touched them for a while. Busy moving. :(

Edit: but yeah, I just wear them like they are. Mine are just straight black, so they're about as conspicuous as black combat boots.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Kraesh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Derian wrote:Edit: but yeah, I just wear them like they are. Mine are just straight black, so they're about as conspicuous as black combat boots.

Ditto. Forgot to mention color. I think the black ones and the tan ones actually look pretty dang good compared to some other types of "garb" shoes I've seen.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Return to The Armory