fiberglass armor?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

fiberglass armor?

Postby Christo The BULL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:15 pm

seeing as the weapon are mostly foam I was wondering if My making my own armor using shaped foam, glass fabric, and epoxy (turned plastics for edges) would pass an inspection? I have read the rules and am more than happy to follow them.
"Oh me, oh life, of the questions of these requiring.
of the endless trains of the faithless. Of city's filled with the foolish. What good are amide these Oh me , Oh life?

Answer: That you are here. that life exists and identity. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."
-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 07 Jul 1986
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Kenjutsu, Zweihänder.

Re: fiberglass armor?

Postby Reverend » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Didn't you say you had read the rules?
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:20 pm

If you read the rules then you realize armor must be made of period materials, specifically 3/16" leather of up to two layers, and 18+ ga period metals.

If you made this armor, you would have to cover it with those materials in accordance with the other rules. The subject of leather covered football pads is brought up by new folks occasionally, as an example.

As I mentioned in your foam smithing post, go to a practice and talk to your vets. Listen intently to what they teach you and only ask questions about the things they mention or what you observe on the field. Save the unconventional stuff until you are well versed in our game. Your vets can explain everything under the sun in greater detail than we can online; but focus on what they feel is important because it is.

Welcome to the game, be safe, hit hard, be honorable.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Caleidah » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:06 am

What realm are you near? Where are you located?

The best thing to do is talk to the veterans in your realm. They can answer all of your questions and more.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Not Relevant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:22 am

:idea:
Last edited by Not Relevant on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Relevant
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Aug 2010
Realm: ATD

Postby Christo The BULL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I apologize for the confusion concerning my "started fight" status. i was not sure what the board meant... i began training with weapons in martial arts 86, live blade. i encountered this gentlemanly alternative through a friend just a few weeks ago. Seems less worry some, less likely to harm my friends, and therefore more fun for me as very few have any training at all. My warm up routine is normally enough to leave me with only the very brave to "square off" with... Sadly, As far as using foam swords is concerned, i've seen a very poor example of one years ago in a "ren faire."

I live in southern California, Lancaster, on the northern edge of L.A. county. no real "realm" in my area as far as i can tell. i am interested in building or finding one. the friend that introduced me to this board and peoples is a "Viking" the name of their group escapes me at the moment, i very well may end up joining them in the up coming "chaos" here in California later this year.

I wished to use the fiber glass as a backing for leather or brigantine armor. I'm no leather craftsmen. i'll reread the rules as i obviously missed something.

thank you all for your input and candor.
of the endless trains of the faithless. Of city's filled with the foolish. What good are amide these Oh me , Oh life?

Answer: That you are here. that life exists and identity. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."
-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Here is a list of Realms in California.

The Sword Coast, in Ventura is 93 miles away and Anduril in Irvine, CA is 110 miles away. Those are two good realms and the closest to you. You need to decide to make the trip at least on a monthly basis to acquaint yourself with the game and get the knowledge going if this is an activity you want to participate in.

If you can start your own group up locally, great, but you'll be at a disadvantage and possibly performing a disservice to the new joins if you don't have regular contact with vets to keep you on the straight and narrow regarding rules and performance.

I'm curious about "chaos"......did they say that this was a Belegarth event or something else? If it is the Bel event then it is in Idaho. This thread will give you a lot of info on it.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Patchiz of Clew wrote:Christo the Bull started fighting in 1986 and only now has joined the board....okay who are ya for real.lol

My approach to wearing armor not made of dead animals or metal was to ask about Jack armor, as we speak I'm collecting silk for a jack armor piece. Collaberating with your veteran players is a wealth of mistake avoidance.

What is this?

The only armors guaranteed to pass at iner-Realm events are made of 3/16" or more of leather in less than three layers and/or metal of the correct gauges and/or thicknesses. Cloth armor does not, as a rule, pass.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Arrakis wrote:
Patchiz of Clew wrote:Christo the Bull started fighting in 1986 and only now has joined the board....okay who are ya for real.lol

My approach to wearing armor not made of dead animals or metal was to ask about Jack armor, as we speak I'm collecting silk for a jack armor piece. Collaberating with your veteran players is a wealth of mistake avoidance.

What is this?

The only armors guaranteed to pass at iner-Realm events are made of 3/16" or more of leather in less than three layers and/or metal of the correct gauges and/or thicknesses. Cloth armor does not, as a rule, pass.
True.

However, there has been talk on the boards in the various linothorax threads that if it were done well, to historical specs, provided some encumbrance, and looked like armor then some heavies in the game would give it a go on a regional field.

Patchiz is working on collecting high thread count silks to make a padded jack (15-30 layers, quilted) in the style of some Mongolian and Japanese armors. It would function the same as a Western European padded jack; of which both styles are often more historically valid than many Dag/Bel armors out there.

This is a very informative report of an exercise to determine how various cuts, stabs, and arrows fare against both chain and padded jacks. The conclusion is that the jacks would have been worn on the outside of chain to stop the piercing arrows (which breaks links), while the chain would have been worn underneath to protect against slashes. Strong stabs from big guys and big, specifically designed weapons negate both.

ImageImage

Now, all that said, to be completely historically valid, I think cloth armor should be worn in conjunction with chain, but our game has time and time again quite vehemently put realism on the back burner. So, as long as the armor was of quality and had a consensus to allow it on the field, it shouldn't need to be coupled with anything else. Armor is armor is armor for playability's sake.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Cade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Sure...as long as said cloth armor only protects you from arrows, id be all for it.

However, the first time some kid wearing twenty tee shirts sewed together calls armor on one of my spear thrusts, I'm going to start aiming lower.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Christo The BULL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:10 am

most interesting... i think i'll try my hand at brigantine body armor using layered raw silk and blued steel bands... with scale/chain mail arms and legs for fun then work on a period piece.

-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:06 am

Possibly relevant to your intentions, then:

http://www.eskimo.com/~cwn/brig_craig1.html

This whole entire thread, but this page is full of money shots: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic ... &start=160

http://www.wojmir.pl/lamelkistal.htm
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thokk » Tue May 20, 2014 3:05 am

I'm the only weapons maker/fighter in the Lancaster /Palmdale area.
My Name is Thokk and I won't cry. I won't let Baldur return. Let Hel keep her treasured prize, let his soul forever burn.
Thokk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 Jan 2011
Realm: Aggelgorod
Unit: Germania - Eszak Torsz

Postby Thokk » Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 am

Practice is 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month with Eszak Torsz. Although if Christo the Bull is whom I think he is...I won't fight with him and he can find others to fight with farther out... Some people are just unsafe to fight with.
My Name is Thokk and I won't cry. I won't let Baldur return. Let Hel keep her treasured prize, let his soul forever burn.
Thokk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 Jan 2011
Realm: Aggelgorod
Unit: Germania - Eszak Torsz

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue May 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Thokk, be sure to check the date of the last post in the threads you comment in. This thread is over 2 years old.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to The Armory