Leather craft

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Leather craft

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 am

So I'm using some soft leather (Not sure what kind) to try and start making some miscellaneous stuff to go with my garb.

I'm new to leather, so I'm curious if this guide will actually work on soft leather. (Planning on shaping the leather, and I don't want to use the thicker leather)

EDIT:
Reading about the different kinds of ways to harden leather;
So, from the looks of things that *should* work, I'm just a tad worried about
the thickness, if that's gonna be a problem.
Bevin wrote:He means, "You, sir, are **** stupid. So **** stupid, in fact, that I'm fairly certain you don't know how magnets work, much like your juggalo brethren."
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 20 Mar 2011
Realm: Wolfpack

Re: Leather craft

Postby Derian » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm

It really depends on how your leather is tanned. If it's really soft leather, like the scraps you get in a bag at Hobby Lobby or something, it won't work. Most (all) veg-tanned leather looks like this:

If you can post a picture of your leather, someone can likely tell you how it was tanned.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Derian wrote:It really depends on how your leather is tanned. If it's really soft leather, like the scraps you get in a bag at Hobby Lobby or something, it won't work. Most (all) veg-tanned leather looks like this:

If you can post a picture of your leather, someone can likely tell you how it was tanned.

Yeah, I commented about that in this thread, I just double-checked, and I have scraps of oil tanned, from what I can tell. I'll figure something out, for now I'm just making some miscellaneous gear to go with my garb.
Bevin wrote:He means, "You, sir, are **** stupid. So **** stupid, in fact, that I'm fairly certain you don't know how magnets work, much like your juggalo brethren."
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Slagar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:47 am

You might get more helpful responses if you were a tad more specific. When you say 'miscellaneous', what exactly are you looking at making? We can't tell you whether it's doable if we don't know if you're shooting for a belt or a medieval tea cozy, dude.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 am

I agree that arrakis was hard on you in that other thread, but you are being willfully ignorant.
Tell us what you want to make and we will tell you how.
Leather IS EXPENSIVE. If your are cheap, you can't have any. It is AT LEAST $90 a side on sale. 1 side will make enough armor for an average dude. Barely.
Leather thinckness is measured in OUNCES. When we say armor must be at least 12 oz, that means 3/16" thick. It is in no way a weight measurement.
Anything you make from leather should be made at least twice from postboard. After it work in posterboard, your safe to cut leather without wasting it.
And last but not least: THIS IS THE ARMOR FORUM. If you are making leather stuff and asking question in here, we are ALWAYS going to assume you are making armor. If you want advice on non armor either post it in the **** garb forum or tell us specificly what you are making.
fb
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 am

Forkbeard wrote:I agree that arrakis was hard on you in that other thread, but you are being willfully ignorant.
Tell us what you want to make and we will tell you how.
Leather IS EXPENSIVE. If your are cheap, you can't have any. It is AT LEAST $90 a side on sale. 1 side will make enough armor for an average dude. Barely.
Leather thinckness is measured in OUNCES. When we say armor must be at least 12 oz, that means 3/16" thick. It is in no way a weight measurement.
Anything you make from leather should be made at least twice from postboard. After it work in posterboard, your safe to cut leather without wasting it.
And last but not least: THIS IS THE ARMOR FORUM. If you are making leather stuff and asking question in here, we are ALWAYS going to assume you are making armor. If you want advice on non armor either post it in the **** garb forum or tell us specificly what you are making.
fb

I appreciate you clarifying how the armor is measured, I was wondering
about that the other day. I'm still not sure how weight =/= thickness, but
that's something I can figure out via google.

As far as willingly being ignorant, I have to disagree. I'm a rather big guy, 6'4" or so, and I don't have 250 dollars to spend on a bunch of
leather/supplies considering I just spent about 200 on other stuff for
garb/weapons/miscellaneous stuff.

At any rate, I didn't notice the "garb" section, I'll make sure to post there
henceforth regarding any miscellaneous gear making.

As far as what I'm making *now* this is the leather I'm working with:

and this is *kinda* what the end result will be, just finished, and fitted to my face:

Don't mind my hair, I just got up >.>
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am

Did you know that the masks you see on Bel fighters ARE armor grade leather?
Also, leather is kind of air tight, so your gonna need some holes.
it doesn't matter how big you are or how much money you just spent on what. Armor costs money.
However, you don't need it, so if you can't afford it, what's the problem?
What did you want to know about you mask?
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

Forkbeard wrote:Did you know that the masks you see on Bel fighters ARE armor grade leather?
Also, leather is kind of air tight, so your gonna need some holes.
it doesn't matter how big you are or how much money you just spent on what. Armor costs money.
However, you don't need it, so if you can't afford it, what's the problem?
What did you want to know about you mask?
fb

Yes I did know that, I saw the "Murder Mask" thread. Because I spent 200 dollars, I don't *at the moment* have another 250 to make armor, that will have to wait. My size is relative to how much I'll have to spend on armor, as well, based on what you said about a side being *barely* enough for an average sized person.

I was curious as to how much an average amount of leather cost, and which kind to get, that was my reasoning for asking in Arrakis' thread.

And yeah, I plan on putting breathing holes in this, before I shape the leather.

Initially, I was curious if I could harden this leather, but I was told not with this kind of leather. Right now I'm more or less trying to find the best way to shape this around my face. I've got an idea on how to do that, what would you suggest?
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 am

Unfortunately, you can't shape it the way you can Vegetable tanned leather.
The chemicals they cure it with make it stay soft and cloth like.
You could cut and sew it into shape. The holes for the stiches can be part od the vents.
You could use eyelets and large colored laces in some pattern that looks cool.
I would go to a leather store and ask them what they have in 12+veg-tan on sale.
make the pattern out of posterboard exactly like you want the leather. Take it with you and buy only as much leather as you need. They sell it by.the square foot in some places. It would only cost you like$ 20.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

Forkbeard wrote:Unfortunately, you can't shape it the way you can Vegetable tanned leather.
The chemicals they cure it with make it stay soft and cloth like.
You could cut and sew it into shape. The holes for the stiches can be part od the vents.
You could use eyelets and large colored laces in some pattern that looks cool.
I would go to a leather store and ask them what they have in 12+veg-tan on sale.
make the pattern out of posterboard exactly like you want the leather. Take it with you and buy only as much leather as you need. They sell it by.the square foot in some places. It would only cost you like$ 20.
fb

Hm, okay.

If I do that, I'm probably gonna try to make a "Murder Mask".

They look like they'd be easier to craft, in the sense that I don't have to
guess where to cut.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby jamec » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:53 am

You can buy them in Collins St, Melbourne from a big shop that sells only lether bags and stuff.
Its on the right side if your walking north but I cant remember the name of it.
If you tell him your a pilot and its for work he gives some discount. :axes:
jamec
Recruit
Recruit

Return to The Armory