woven leather armor

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

woven leather armor

Postby NessiePop » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I've been thinking about using leather belts in a basket weave to make armor. I've seen this a coupla times, I think someone had some for sale a while back, and there's a guy on the right in the main page picture that's got woven * armor. I was just curious about the drawbacks to this kind of armor, and any tips on making it that you guys have. I'm planning on starting with a war skirt, and maybe moving from there to a chestpiece and some greaves.
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Re: woven leather armor

Postby Valas Hune » Fri May 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I can tell you when I get my hip armor finished. The one thing you will want to do is get thinner leather (normal is what 13-15oz so get half that) since you are layering two pieces together. That way it will not weigh a metric ton.
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
I have a rendezvous with death
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
Chieftain of Stygia in the Western Uruk-Hai
Member of the White Skull
Founder of Valas' pub - Putting the orc in horc since Chaos wars 9
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby tyorl » Sat May 14, 2011 4:01 pm

I made a skirt of it a while ago. Not really any draw backs other than it being a little inflexible. It can look really good if you use it to compliment a clean looking kit. I am moving away from the "clean" look and going more for a barbarian look. My skirt is green and black with gold snap rivets. I used so many it would be * near impossible to break them apart. It is attached to a belt as well. If you want it shoot me a pm and I can take some pictures and stuff.
Lachlan wrote:Herp-derping is definitely bad form.
tyorl
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2009
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Arrakis » Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Drawback: It's a clearly LARPy fake armor; it in no way approximates a real armor.

Advantages: You can make it out of scraps and don't have to do any planning or thinking or have any skills whatsoever.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby NessiePop » Thu May 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Drawbacks: Haters gonna hate.

Advantages: Lachlan's gonna live.
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Valas Hune » Mon May 23, 2011 8:24 pm

It is done and nice. I will post pics.
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Loptr » Tue May 24, 2011 9:20 am

http://board.belegarth.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36761
That was light, flexible and breathes. Some may scoff, some may requires no skill. I certainly have seen significantly lower quality on the field.
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby NessiePop » Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm

I was thinking something like that, only down to my waist, and with buckles on the sides, under my shield arm, since that's where i get hit the least.
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Valas Hune » Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Mine is just hip armor but is similar to Breeders there.
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Necro,

Lachlan, I just went to the thrift store and bought a ton of belts to make thigh/hip/* armor like this and I'm curious to see how yours turned out.

Got pics?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby NessiePop » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm

I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got like 36 old belts that I've bought, and I've worked out the pattern without riveting, but i haven't managed to have enough money at once to get the rivets and rivet setter and finish the * thing. Only thing I'd say is, rivet where the belts cross, not at the ends of the strips like Tyorl did. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just seems sturdier to do it at each intersection. If you do make some, let me know how it turns out.
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Interesting,

I bought 10 belts of mostly the same length (36"+, but cut off the ends with holes and the buckle) and it is only enough to get the frame and vertical slats done for the front panel of one leg. I'm planning on it running from hip to just above the knee. Even though I'm a fat guy, my waist is normal size and I'm not going to have this thing going over my stomach, so I'm expecting a total of about 80 belts to do two front leg panels, a half sized groin panel, two side panels, and either one large or two smaller (front size) size rear panels.

I'll admit that I was planning to only rivet the ends and I'm curious about riveting the overlaps instead of the ends. I would think that the flexibility of not having a rivet every lateral inch or two would be beneficial. How do you plan to secure the ends if not by rivet?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby NessiePop » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

The ends are getting rivets too. I'm just also riveting at the intersections, like the armor in Loptr's link.
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Arrakis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Please make sure the belts are real leather.
Arrakis

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:59 pm

The "P" in front of the "leather" counts, right?

Of course I'm making sure they're real leather. I even went so far as to get rid of any snake skin, shark skin, alligator, and even one I found made out of buffalo hide.

100% burger, no man made materials, no fillers.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 pm

It just occured to me to wonder whether "Genuine Leather" belts would qualify, being leather the same way that particleboard is wood.
Arrakis

Postby Dacian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 am

I had a set of this YEARS back, and it feels great, but just be VERY cautious. Most belts, even if they say 100% leather, are not, in fact, 100% leather. I found that most of them have a cardboard-like core covered with 100% leather. I only say this cause at the time (hell, I think I was, like, 16 when I did it) my armor COMPLETELY failed because the leather itself, even layered, wasn't in itself armor thickness.

Wish I would've seen this post sooner and hopefully save you SOME headache.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Appreciate the concerns.

I'm not using belts that are puffy in the center. Those have filler in them. The only thing I'm using are 100% leather belts that are obviously strips of leather like you'd get from Tandy and throw a buckle on them.

That's really good information for the both of you to have put out there, though.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 am

Having done a number of craft projects (no armor) that involved cutting up belts, I feel I should throw in that many belts are layered leather even if they don't have a cardboard core. This can lead to an unintentional violation of the layering rule.

3.5. The minimum thickness for leather Armor is 3/16 inch. The minimum thickness requirement can be achieved by layering up to two pieces of thinner leather.

Be sure the belt you are using are not made of two thinner pieces glued together.

All of that having been said I can't believe you paid less than $30 for 10 belts even if you raided every thrift store in a 30 mile radius. Even at that minimum amount you could have bought leather scraps and made better armor, especially if you already have rivets or are planning to get some. If you really are planning on getting 80 belts you may as well wait for a tandy sale and buy a side of saddle skirting.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Derian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm with Rowan on this one. It's going to look better, probably only slightly more expensive, be more likely to pass and more durable to simply buy a side of leather from tandy and cut it up.

It's a bit more work, but you won't end up looking like you're wearing 80 cut up belts when you're done.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blackwolfe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 am

Rowan wrote:Having done a number of craft projects (no armor) that involved cutting up belts, I feel I should throw in that many belts are layered leather even if they don't have a cardboard core. This can lead to an unintentional violation of the layering rule.
3.5. The minimum thickness for leather Armor is 3/16 inch. The minimum thickness requirement can be achieved by layering up to two pieces of thinner leather.

?? Not sure your meaning on "unintentional violation of layering rule." as your BoW quote says, it's ok to layer leather?
Blackwolfe
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 1964
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: AoD

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am

While layering up to two pieces of leather together to get to minimum thickness is fine, achieving minimum thickness by using three pieces of leather is illegal, Blackwolfe.
Arrakis

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Yep, all points were considered long ago when I started the project.

To clarify, again, the leather is all top and full grain, unlayered, single solid piece belts just like you'd buy from Tandy. No fillers, no cardboard layers, no reconstituted glue/leather puree, no "bonded leather".

The two, and only two, layers meet the minimum thickness requirements, per BoW. No cheating involved here and lots of double checking to make sure of it.

I'm pretty lucky, I guess, to get the belts at $2 apiece, but I have to sift through 20X as much crap to find them.

- EDIT 7/2/11- So, I went to a new thrift store ran by the local hospital after clearing the first one out and they sell all belts for $1 each. Since my grandmother-in-law works there, I got a discount on 8 for $5. Then I went to the Catholic thrift store in town and they sell all belts at 2 for 25 cents. Too bad they only had one usable one.

I have been looking at Tandy, but when the leather's the exact same, I might as well buy what I can now and then purchase some later to speed up the process. Definitely don't have the money to purchase that kind of material in a large enough quantity to do the project, and I definitely don't have the patience to not be working on it until the cash comes along.

As far as looks go .... I don't want the standard segmented armor with articulation made out of sheets that you see on all the fields. Rather, I want a quasi samurai-esque, square shaped but flexible type of armor that's not made out of scraps, innumerable small pieces, or laced together. Strips is the way to do it.Image

After its dyed and painted, it'll look fine and be just how I want it.

Thanks though.
Last edited by Tiberius Claudius on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Just lookin' out.

Sounds awesome.