Steel Breastplate

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Steel Breastplate

Postby Cobalt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm looking into buying a Steel Breastplate (And matching back plate) that fits me comfortably. I'm going for the plain look, perhaps a crease down the middle. Simply, your typical "Knight in Shining Armor" look. Doesn't have to be fancy and detailed, just shiny. Secondly, it has to be functional, legal, and comfortable (As comfortable as well fitted Steel plate armor should be.)

My questions are, what measurements do I need to take of myself to ensure the armor I find fits me?

What should I be wearing under my armor for Belegarth purposes? For example, Chain mail under a breastplate would be redundant, and rather expensive. How much padding do I really need to keep it comfortable, but still feel my hits?

How much of a size adjustment do I need to make for the padding?

How do I avoid low quality armors that look cool, but aren't going to work for what I want?

Any suggestions on where to look for a breastplate like this? Are their suitable places to buy armor like that, or do I have to find someone to custom make it for me?

Is learning how to make it myself a better, option? Money is most definitely a consideration here.

Thanks, Cobalt.
Cobalt
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 May 2010
Realm: Thorondor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Steel Breastplate

Postby randy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:07 pm

What I generally recommend for people making their own plate is to either take some cardboard or posterboard, cut that how you want to wear the plate. Then you have a template of how to cut the plate.

For padding, I lined my plate with MC foam. You could also just wear an arming coat, or two tunics.

Here is a site that comes highly recommended: http://store.fastcommerce.com/icefalcon ... 161-c.html
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Atman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Though you may find some useful information here, metal plate is a rarity in belegarth. I would suggest www.armourarchive.org for more info, it is a site geared primarily toward SCA and has a lot of info on how to go about making plate armor and where to buy it.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Atman wrote:Though you may find some useful information here, metal plate is a rarity in belegarth. I would suggest http://www.armourarchive.org for more info, it is a site geared primarily toward SCA and has a lot of info on how to go about making plate armor and where to buy it.

Second, the AA has **** TONNES of info and great craftsmen selling hella cheap, too.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to The Armory