Where to get leather?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Where to get leather?

Postby Baiter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am

I've been looking around Tandy, but not quite sure which sides are the right ones for armor. Can anyone help a brotha out and point me at the right sides to get?
Baiter
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998

Re: Where to get leather?

Postby Thorondor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 am

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 62-16.aspx is what I got for my suit of leather. It tooled wonderfully and held dye great.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Derian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am

You don't need to go with the expensive stuff. This is what most people use: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 47-02.aspx
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Sir Azrael » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Derian wrote:You don't need to go with the expensive stuff. This is what most people use: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 47-02.aspx

I've been looking at tandyleather for quite awhile now, and have always wondered just how big that piece is. How much armor would you say that, THAT piece would make, Derian?
Azrael - "forever writing in a large book and forever erasing what he writes: what he writes is the birth of man, what he erases is the name of the man at death."

Sir Azrael the Reaper
Sir Azrael
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 06 Sep 2008
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Derian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Quite a bit. Unless you're grotesquely obese or you're terrible at positioning pattern pieces, a side should be enough to fully (or nearly fully) armor one person; probably greaves, torso, shoulders, bracers & maybe a helm depending on a few factors.

It's definitely worth it to buy a full side, but don't buy it at that price. There are often sales that will drop it to $90 or even $80. I feel bad about buying them at anything over $100.

There's no scale here, but this is the last side I bought. The edge that runs alongside the right of the picture is probably just a bit over 6 feet in length.

- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Sir Azrael » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Wow, alrighty, good to know! Thanks!
Azrael - "forever writing in a large book and forever erasing what he writes: what he writes is the birth of man, what he erases is the name of the man at death."

Sir Azrael the Reaper
Sir Azrael
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 06 Sep 2008
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Valas Hune » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Derian wrote:You don't need to go with the expensive stuff. This is what most people use: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 47-02.aspx

404 not found for those who will/can use the search function in the future.
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
I have a rendezvous with death
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
Chieftain of Stygia in the Western Uruk-Hai
Member of the White Skull
Founder of Valas' pub - Putting the orc in horc since Chaos wars 9
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Huh. They appear to have removed the product. Sure hope they're not discontinuing it.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Taxfrog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 47-05.aspx

says it's the same tannage as the 9047-02, it's 10-12 oz leather. I didn't get a look at the other sides though. What oz should be used?
Taxfrog
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 May 2011
Realm: Pyke the Ironport
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gettin' hit in the D

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Minimum legal thickness is 12 oz. That won't be enough by itself; usually you buy 13-15 oz.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Arrakis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Apparently Springfield Leather (Google it) has better quality leather for 125 (economy sides) all year round, not just sometimes.

Tandy's sides are often thoroughly underweight. Like a sixth or more of the last one I bought was like 11 oz instead of 13 (bought 13-15 oz side).
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Reafan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm

The best thing to do is to go to Tandy personally and look at what they have available in the store. Hides always vary slightly in thickness and a single hide, side, or scraps can have varying thickness over the entire piece. They specifically sell "armor grade" leather at the store. Do take care of which piece of leather you buy, and try to map out the project in your head ( or bring your patterns to the store ) Different pieces ( like the one pictured earlier ) have different shapes as well. I recently bought a 10-11 oz small side for about 30$ to make a mask. I went in and browsed through the availability on the table and thankfully found one perfect for what I was making. The other options fluctuated in variety, thickness, and range markings/brands/etc. That is another worry to take into consideration when buying leather. The "barn kept" cow leather is much more expensive, because it has little to no wear and tear on the original owners skin during it's life cycle. Be wary of where the brands and scars are and how they will be placed on your project. I've made armor before and though I prepped everything correctly and such, the brands will sometimes make the affected area weak ( tearing, breaking, and all sorts of problems WILL occur, at least over time; especially if you are fighting in the leather ) Another thing to take into consideration is pricing. If you know someone who has an Elite Club Membership at Tandy, you will sometimes cut off up to two thirds of the price from your purchase. *sigh* sorry for the extended writing on this subject. Leather is an expensive hobby and I know a decent amount. If I can save someone else the troubles I had when first getting into leatherworking, I'll try my best to do so. I hope this helps someone out.
Reafan
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2011
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fighting

Return to The Armory