Greave project (Would like some input)

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Greave project (Would like some input)

Postby Juggernaut » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am

So I went to an event last month and the weapon checker was giving me **** for the thickness of my greave leather. This is the first time I have ever heard this. I bought these greaves for Chaos Wars 1 (half the rivets broke, it was sweet). Have any of you had really old leather armor begin to fail thickness requirements because the leather was getting crushed too thin?

So, since I really like my armor (It is old like me), I want to re-furbish it. As you can see from the picture, it has a motley assortment of rivets and one of the buckles has finally broke off.

Ideas:

1) I hire a badass leather worker to break all the rivets and replace the straps with light brown leather strips for contrast on the black.
2) Same badass worker would replace the broken black strap and do some custom stamping (painted white) on each of the straps, going horizontally and vertically.
3) Hire a badass leather worker/metal worker to create some square metal plates to go in the spaces between the straps. These plates would be stamped in awesome ways using artist brain techniques.

I am thinking about doing 2 & 3.

Concerns:

1) How will the metal stamping "come out?" Maybe if the design is stamped convex [like a relief(bumpy)] map. It seems to me that the stamping would have to be highlighted in some way or it would be too hard to see. Do you paint metal plates?

2) If I do 2&3, as described above, will the strap stamping and the plates make the greaves look too busy?

Anyway here are some pictures for reference.

I'm the Juggernaut, *.
Juggernaut
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Armored Penguins
Unit: Western Dunedain

Re: Greave project (Would like some input)

Postby Pierce » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:47 pm

1.First thing I Would do is get some cleaner and conditioner, get some oils back into those.

2.Next thing I would do is get some Chap Leather, line the inside/outside with it.

3.Then ??????

4.Profit?

Also, I happen to have a thickness gauge for these situations, next time you're in Utah, gimme a holler and I'll do some measuring for ya.
Western Uruk-Hai Ravenger
(\_/)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(> <)
My bunny is better than your bunny.
Its octopi you jackass.
Pierce
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 2004
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: GIMME A WEAPON!

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:03 pm

I can fix them up for you when I do the helm.
I wouldn't worry too much about that herald. I hear he also pulled peoples 5 finger shoes on some **** LIE about a new ruling from Ragnarok. I know thats **** is a lie, I checked. Unless those people were wearing the neon color 5 fingers(which I'm sure they were not).
You guys were being purposefully **** with by a prejudiced person because you are seen as being from Belegarth.
As this minor social problem is corrected, these other issues will go away too.
fb
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Arrakis » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:08 pm

As regards metal and prettification, try etching:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/ ... 3&t=142147
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to The Armory