Forkbeard's helmets

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Forkbeard's helmets

Postby Cullen of Kells » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am

Although forkbeard's helmets look amazing are they still good to fight in?
things like visibility and the ability to get enough oxygen while your fighting. Are they as good as they apear?
Cullen of Kells
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Jul 1998
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board
viking style

Re: Forkbeard's helmets

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 am

Yes, they are. As far as air, that kinda depends on the design you want. As far as durability, and taking a shot to the dome, they are the best. They act like real helmets instead of LARP helmets. You have to pad the inside, or have him put a suspension harness in, but they are great, and his prices are really fair too.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm

When padded right, they feel like a football helmet. They take a red shot really well.
I can make any type you want and vision and breathing is based on that, really. Although I try to make the eye holes bigger than history suggest I should and I tend to make them so that they fit the head better, with less padding than the real thing. As you shoudln't be getting brained regularly and want to look cooler for pictures. Mine fit more like a movie helmet than a real helmet. I feel real helmets tend to look WAY too big much of the time.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

This here is almost done.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Argent » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 pm

dude.......that is sweet. About how much do u charge for something like that?
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:56 pm

$275. This kind of over the top work takes more than a little time and planning.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

What weight is the leather on the face-mask?
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Unit: Horde

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 am

Except for trim, I only use armor grade leather, of course.
usually 14 oz.
Thats a weird question. Why?
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Solusar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:34 am

He might mean how much does it weigh overall.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Atman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

The angle of the photo and such make it difficult to judge its thickness. Though I would assume it was armor grade, people often make pieces on commission for other games etc,.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Unit: Horde

Postby Solusar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 am

I stand corrected.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 am

Atman, come on dude. This is ME. I make stuff for Bel/Dag. If I make something for another game, (with lesser standards) I still use Bel/Dag legal leather in hopes that those people from that other game will come to Bel/Dag.
In my opinion, everyone who is a serious fighter will eventually want to play Bel or Dag(depending on their location.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scopus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:48 am

Dear lord, that is quite a talent.
Scopus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Apr 2009
Realm: Stormwrath
Unit: Merc - House Vollmer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swrd n Brd, SingleBlue, Hide behind Fox

Postby randy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Forkbeard wrote:In my opinion, everyone who is a serious fighter will eventually want to play Bel or Dag(depending on their location.
FB

And then we will go back to amtgard because it's the only real challenge left. :P
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

Har.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

Amtgard is no challenge whatsoever. Except the challenge of not swearing while I am made to fight little kids.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 am

Forkbeard wrote:Amtgard is no challenge whatsoever. Except the challenge of not swearing while I am made to fight little kids.
FB

You need to come to California, Texas, or Colorado. We'll show you a good time and a good fight.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am

I live in Blackspire hooray.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 pm

No randy, you won't. because without being able to hit people with my shield, it is not fun. Without being able to break shields of wear armor 80% of the time it is not fun. Without being able to grapple, it's not fun. Without being able to get shot in the face with arrows it is not fun.
Without these things, you can not possibly present a good fight.
Thats what's wrong with amtgard.
But lets get back to helmets.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Forkbeard wrote:No randy, you won't

Your assuming that we wouldn't let you do those things if you visited us. :P Your helms are sexy though.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby gabefu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 pm

The assumption that Amtgard is all tappy fighters, and that we don't appreciate a good shield check is blatantly wrong. FB is perpetuating a false ideology, and it's rather disgusting. He posts all over FB and here on these boards about how lame Amtgard is, but yet, every time an average amtgarder goes to a Bel event, we end up being one of the top fighter on the field. I think it would do FB some good to actually experience some Amtgard fighting before he puts it down. I have a large fight practice out here in Cali, and i would be happy to welcome you to it. ;)
gabefu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1991
Favorite Fighting Styles: SCA , Amtgard, Sword n Board, Polearms

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Look, man, the FACTS ARE shield kicking in amtgard is illegal. Hitting hard is illegal in some places and discouraged by both the spirit and letter of the rules.
Shield bashing is illegal. Hitting with the shield edge is illegal.
Your lack of weapon weight minimums allows for weapons to be on the field that one can NOT feel when one is struck by them. Your combat does not require any force for hits to count. These things coupled together make you fighting not really fun for me.
Grapling is illegal in Amtgard.
Arrows to the face and head are not allowed. This makes it no fun to arch, again, for me.
Lastly, you allow children to fight. I find this to be very dangerous and it makes me uncomfortable to try to avoid stepping on tiny people. I rather only adult sized people be allowed on the field.
All these thing are the reasons why I do not like amtgards rules. They work fine and some of you guys have fun playing under them. I do not and have had direct experiences in these areas every time I go to an amtgard event. Granted, that is only like twice a year.
Game play wise, I think ditching sucks balls. I use a red weapon. Not being able to use it all the way sucks for me. Again, I realize some of you guys dig it, but it ain't for me.
I have no problem with amtgard as an organisation. It provides a needed niche for a particular part of the foam fighting world. They do what they do very well. I have had fun playing amtgard. But I can have fun digging ditches. I'm a fun guy.
I have stated about a million times, but one more ain't gonna hurt, I love it when Amt dudes come to Belegarth events. I find many of them to be fun to fight.
Mainly I find Belegarth to be an entierly different classification of combat sport from Amtgard. Amtgard is Light Contact Combat. Belegarth is Full Contact Combat. Close, but not the same. Kind of like the dofference between Laser Tag and Paintball.
I'm sorry if my expressing of my opinion got your panties in a twist. Sort yourself out and meet me on the field and show me how bad * you are, please.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Forkbeard wrote:I'm sorry if my expressing of my opinion got your panties in a twist. Sort yourself out and meet me on the field and show me how bad * you are, please.FB

If we ever get a chance to be on the same field, Im sure we will both have fun. My panties don't get in a twist because you forgot to wear them last night.

Your opinion of amtgard is based on limited exposure. Similar to me deciding what all of belegarth is based on the limited exposure I have here in California. Do you really want me judging and expressing my disgust with belegarth based on the Sword Coast allowing a pregnant woman on the field and banning an experienced Veteran simply because he argued against her being allowed to fight? Is that the standard of belegarth that you want me constantly spamming about on the Amtgard and SCA boards? I didn't think so, I figured you were more intelligent than that, and would appreciate me giving all of belegarth the benefit of the doubt that there are some good and some bad groups and the organization as a whole shouldn't be judged by its weakest link.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Everything I just posted is true of all amtgard. It's in your rules.
I'm not even saying you guys are doing it wrong. It's just that what you are doing is not what I like to do.
What I like to do is a DIFFERENT kind of fighting, uncomparable to the kind you do.
I greatly enjoy it when people from your organisation come and fight in mine, under the rules we use.
When I come out to your organisations functions, I am not allowed to fight in a way that is fun for me.
What the **** is wrong with you that I am not entitiled to my opinion.
I hear what you're saying. "Come to such and such Amtgard park and we'll let you break the rules against shield contact. We'll let you use you own hit calibration and call light. THere aren't any fighters on the field under 16 and we all use bad *, properly weighted weapons". I say you are lying. Anywhere I go to play amygard there will be children on the field I need to be careful of. Everywhere I go I will get thrown off the field for shield edging a person to the ground. Are you REALLY telling me I'm wrong.?
FB
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Are you REALLY telling me I'm wrong.?

Yep. Im telling you that if you went to a major event such as clan, rakis, spring war. You wouldn't find children on the field. Most of the fighters wouldn't blink an eye if you checked them with a shield, or even tried to shield bash us. I would invite you to try and shield bash someone in the deep end, its not as easy as you might think.

There is no rule against hitting too hard, though it isn't effective in our sport, because we take shots that hit or deflect. Instead of calling "light" which isn't in your rules either, I would suggest you call graze or nick, which again is listed in our rule as not a valid shot.

What im telling you is that you are not experienced enough in Amtgard to formulate an appropriate opinion of the game. You make sweeping generalizations that are offensive to those of us who are making an honest attempt to cross-game and enjoy each others company.

I try very hard not to trash talk in belegarth because its not in your culture to do it. I try to figure out the spirit of your rules along with the written rules, so I can assimilate into the game. Generally, unless asked I don't mention how amtgard does things different than belegarth. I ask how the rules for belegarth apply and make an honest effort to follow and understand them. BUT, constantly being told that my sport is inferior while im winning the tournaments at the belegarth events I attend is starting to grate on my nerves. Yes, amtgarders use spells, Yes they don't allow grappling, Yes they look down upon shield bashing, Yes we don't have weight standards for weapons. Whats your point?

Seriously, I don't think any amtgarder has ever gone to belegarth and complained about being allowed to shield bash or grapple. The weight standards took a little to get used to, but we adapted. Why do you feel the need to constantly disrespect another sport that you have very little experience in? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to anyone what your opinion of amtgard is... Mainly im just tired of hearing it and no one standing up to your bullying tactics. Why not make crazy assaults on Nero or HFS? Why do you feel the need to focus your rage on amtgard?
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:15 pm

You're not going to convince me that I will be allowed to do **** in amtgard fighting that is against your rules. To try to convince me I will is stupid.
I can't see spending my event time and my money going to an event where the things I like to do are against the written rules on the hope that I'll be allowed to cheat. What kind of *, unsportsmanlike prick would I be if I expected to be exepmt from certain rules. All the rules on the field apply to everyone else.
I already know where to find the best fighting around. I've fought lots of your top end Amtguys and they are not different from the top end Belguys, except they are allowed to use really light weapons.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Forkbeard wrote:You're not going to convince me that I will be allowed to do **** in amtgard fighting that is against your rules. To try to convince me I will is stupid.

See what your failing to realize is im not trying to convince you of anything other than you don't know enough about Amtgard. You continue to judge Amtgard and amtgarders by your limited experience. I hope you don't come to amtgard with your poor attitude and one-sided mentality.

Why im trying to tell you is that your continued hatred for amtgard as an organization is detrimental to belegarth as an organization. It makes people who would normally cross game, not want to deal with your elitist attitude. Especially, when you base all your beliefs on assumptions and inexperience.

The reason I don't attend Chaos War or other out of state events for BEL is the same reason you won't attend Rakis or Clan. My sport is amtgard. I would rather spend my money playing amtgard. The difference is, I don't get on the amtgard boards and tell everyone flurby belegarth fighters are and how easy they are to kill by just blocking the high cross and throwing a hip scoop. I actively recruit Amtgarders to attend the belegarth events in our area, loan them bel legal equipment and assist them in understanding the rules/cultural differences. My goal here is not to get you to think better about amtgard, its to get you to keep your opinions to yourself, until you have atleast had enough exposure to amtgard to so you can make a valid assessment of what amtgard foam fighting is. Until then, I will continue to argue publicly against your hate against something I love.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Dangus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

You are both right, to a degree. I started my fighting career in amtgard, almost eleven years ago, so my experience ranges from "The glory days when clan/spring war were fun" to the "Race for awards and e-peen status".
In amt, there is no (real) calibration system and having the balls to contest contact from another fighter will get you mean looks, and often times "special friend" status on the ditchline. Because there is no incentive to hit harder, people do not, and the lack of weight minimums gives some people the incorrect notion that the faster and lighter they go, the better they will be. Because of this dichotomy (not found in the upper-most levels of amt fighters, exclusively, don't kid yourself) players are often surprised to receive substantial contact, and because it is standard practice to "light up" anyone you feel won't take your hits, many people imply intent with the force of your swing (relative to their game) and take offense. You would get a similar outcome if you shield checked somebody. Here in Blackspire, we had a dude who was widely ridiculed, then reprimanded for "hip checking" someone, once. My week to week activity on the Bel field would get me kicked out of any amt'tard park in a heartbeat.

Randy, we've met, you're a logical, intelligent guy, but your also part of the "cool kids club". People like you and I could get away with checking someone at an event, but people who are widely unknown to the amt-populace would probably get a stern talking to by any reeve, in what would probably be an incredibly condescending manner.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Black Cat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 pm

I think this part of the rulebook is what Forkbeard is referring to about Amtgard disallowing his style of play. Shield bashing is explicitly disallowed and the way the rule is worded wouldn't make it much of a stretch to kick someone off the field for shield checking or other commonplace Belegarth/Dagorhir manuevers. (see #14)

Amtgard
The Rules of Play version 7.6 wrote:
Combat Notes

1. Any two shots to the limbs (except two shots to the same leg) results in death. Example: You are struck in the arm. The arm must then be placed behind your back and is useless. You are then struck again in any limb, including the one behind your back, and die.
2. A single shot to a hit location, regardless of weapon type or point value, only counts as one blow to the hit location and any ‗extra‘ damage never carries through to another hit location. Example: Being struck in the arm with a Red Weapon only wounds the arm. The extra damage is ignored.
3. Shots that only strike garb or unwielded equipment do not count as a hit unless said items blocked a blow that would have struck a combatant (i.e. garb, equipment, sheathed weapons, etc. are not shields and do not count as armor).
4. Blows from melee weapons that nick or lightly glance off of a target do not count as hits. Any shot that stops or impacts then deflects at an angle is considered a hit. See also ‗A Valid Hit‘ above.
5. Projectiles that nick or lightly glance still count as hits.
6. The chain portion of flails, weapon hafts, hilts, hand guards, and courtesy-padded shafts are not legal striking edges and do not count as hits.
7. Contact with illegal targets stop a shot and pause the action if necessary for your opponent to recover (i.e. if you hit your opponent in the face, stop combat until he indicates he is unhurt). A single shot which strikes both an illegal and a legal area simultaneously is not valid. i.e. a shoulder shot that deflects into a head is valid, but a neck shot that also hits part of your shoulder at the same instant is not valid.
8. Deflections that then strike true on a target are hits, with the exception of shots that deflect off of illegal targets—which do not count. Projectiles, even on deflections, can only deal damage to a single target i.e. a throwing dagger hitting an arm and then deflecting into the chest only wounds the arm, it does not affect the chest.
9. If a person is wounded in an arm throwing a shot, or killed, shots they threw into motion before being struck still count as a hit, if they land within a half second of being struck. In the case of a two-handed weapon, the wielder must remove his wounded hand from the weapon within a half second for the shot to count. This should be a clear case of finishing an already thrown shot, meaning that it requires no change of direction and the last action required to finish the shot has already been started prior to being struck. If you have any questions, ask your kingdom/group level Guildmaster of Reeves. A reeve‘s call is always final in determining if a shot is in time or late.
10. Shots that knock aside a parry and then strike the target are hits.
11. Bounces never count from projectiles or magic balls.
12. A player who consistently breaks game rules, cheats, causes mundane problems with authorities or safety can be barred from the local group or kingdom by joint agreement of the Monarch and either the Prime Minister or the Guildmaster of Reeves of that group.
13. Players may not wield more than one weapon in a single hand. Firing multiple arrows simultaneously is an exception to this rule.
14. Grappling with an opponent, shield bashing, rough, dangerous, or offensive physical contact is strictly prohibited and can result in being banned from play indefinitely.
15. If you have to think about whether or not a shot was ‗good enough‘ to count, it probably was. Always endeavor to have unquestionable honor in the area of calling your own shots. Your peers will respect you and return the favor.
16. Do not call another person‘s shots unless you are a reeve. It is rude and considered in poor form. If you consistently have problems with a player not taking their shots, inform a reeve who will deal with them appropriately.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Unit: Untamed

Postby Dangus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Black Cat wrote:I think this part of the rulebook is what Forkbeard is referring to about Amtgard disallowing his style of play. Shield bashing is explicitly disallowed and the way the rule is worded wouldn't make it much of a stretch to kick someone off for shield checking or other commonplace Belegarth/Dagorhir manuevers. (see #14)

I think everyone realizes that. It's just a matter of: "in some corners.... x, y and z are acceptable..." as much as I disagree that they are.

(edit: remove wall of text)
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I am not important enough for my opinions to effect cross game relations. Anyone with an open mind can see that I am simply stating my opinion.
only douchebags get allbent out of shape by me waxing philosophic about the differences between the games.
You'd like me to keep my opinions to myself, huh? I'll say what I want, when I want and you can eat **** and like it.
My opinions about amtgard are based on the rules to your game. Denign it all you want. Lie about people being aloud to shield bash and about 13year old being on the field. It's cool bra.
Aslo, randal, id like to point out that I at no time go onto sca or amtgard sites and badmouth amtgard or its players. I do speak about the differences on Dagorhir and Belegarth fb forums, often is comical ways, if you can't handle that, I sugest you grow the **** up. Or come and stop me. Those are your options.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Also duder, no that I think about it, you say you don't come in here and talk condesending **** to us, but it seems to me that's what you've done in this thread and its what you wind up doing pretty regularly.
why don't you stick to the forums for your game if you have such a problem with the things said here?
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 am

Dangus wrote:People like you and I could get away with checking someone at an event, but people who are widely unknown to the amt-populace would probably get a stern talking to by any reeve, in what would probably be an incredibly condescending manner.

But my specific point to forkbeard was that if he attended an amtgard event in those locations, he would have a different experience. In most cases, I doubt he would fight in a game with a reeve present. Atleast most interkingdom ditches I fought in haven't had reeves.

Again, I am fighting the continual stereotype that amtgarders are inferior fighters/people because we don't allow shield bashing, don't have weight minimums, and don't allow grappling. That makes us different, not inferior.

Forkbeard wrote:why don't you stick to the forums for your game if you have such a problem with the things said here?

Mostly because I really like playing belegarth and I really dislike loud mouth bullies. Also, I am amused at your juvenile attempts to offend me. Flagrant insults do little to further your cause, but provide hours of amusement to my friends and I.

As for allowing children on the field, Im pretty sure the bel park I attended recently does not only that but allowed another fighter with a bone disease where a significant hit to the back would cause permanent damage. So is this a case of pot vs. kettle? Surely, you would like to address a belegarth park allowing a pregnant woman and a man suffering from brittle bones (or something similar) onto the field!? Or would you like to continue to throw mud at amtgard, while ignoring the facts as presented to you.

If you came to an amtgard field, and really wanted to shield bash/kick, fight with suffecient force, I promise you there will be people there that will be okay with it. The park as a whole, most likely not. But my comment if you re-read it was that we would show you a good time and a good fight. Not that amtgard would suddenly change its rules to suit you. But there are plenty of high-end fighters that would be willing to provide you the combat you desire. Ofcourse, its much easier to talk about meeting someone on the field when they are several thousand miles away.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 am

My, god, you are a stupid, close minded chilrd.
Again, I am fighting the continual stereotype that amtgarders are inferior fighters/people because we don't allow shield bashing, don't have weight minimums, and don't allow grappling. That makes us different, not inferior.

This is all I ever say. I at no point said Amtgard people are bad fighters. In fact, I said that many are good fighters and great people. I said I enjoy it greatly when they come to our events and fight under our rules.
As much as I hate the post breakdown style of responding, it looks like we're doing it now.
Mostly because I really like playing belegarth and I really dislike loud mouth bullies.

I fail to see how me expressing my opinion is being a bully. In fact, YOU are the one seeking ME out and **** with me about the fact that I am different from YOU. You are the bully here, dude.
As for allowing children on the field, Im pretty sure the bel park I attended recently does not only that but allowed another fighter with a bone disease where a significant hit to the back would cause permanent damage. So is this a case of pot vs. kettle? Surely, you would like to address a belegarth park allowing a pregnant woman and a man suffering from brittle bones (or something similar) onto the field!?

All Bel realms are alowed to make any house rules they want. If you were at a realm function with custome rules, it is in no way an example, bad or good, of regular Belegarth. Sounds like you were told they were house rules.
My issues with the Amtgard rules are with the regular NATIONAL rules. They are ineffect at all your events.
If you came to an amtgard field, and really wanted to shield bash/kick, fight with suffecient force, I promise you there will be people there that will be okay with it. The park as a whole, most likely not. But my comment if you re-read it was that we would show you a good time and a good fight. Not that amtgard would suddenly change its rules to suit you.

Why would anyone who is not a **** cheating * go to an organisations event expecting to be allowed to break the rules? I could never do something like that, and that is what you want me to do. Spend hundreds of dollars going to an event where I KNOW THE **** RULES and am traveling there in HOPE that I will be allowed to break them while fighting with a small percentage of the population.
You are stupid, Randy.
At no point do I imply that Amtgard folks are Bad Fighters or bad people. They simply fight under rules I do not wish to fight under.
You don't need to like my opinion, or me. But if you insist on coming here, and to Bel/Dag forums on facebook, you WILL continue to see them. You can not stop me.
So go eat a bag of *.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thumbs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm almost scared to post in this thread now. but i have to ask, what is "ditching"?
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby randy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Thumbs wrote:I'm almost scared to post in this thread now. but i have to ask, what is "ditching"?

Ditching is a term used it describe a battlegame amtgarders play. Basically everyone lines up on two seperate teams. They fight. The winning team loses 1 fighter, who goes to the losing team. Then the fight resumes. Generally there is no herald and the battle is considered a warm up, until a more involved battlegame starts.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm

It's the best time that most Bel fighters I have ever met have at any Amt event. I love me some ditching. It's also way faster since most anything that touches counts. If you want to learn how to block faster and be more agile I suggest ditching with a bunch of sword knights.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Thumbs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 pm

It sounds like "Stand and Deliver" which is a significant game in Stygia
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Lokin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Must be because of location but not "Everything that touches" counts... Slides and Pushes are never clean enough to be counted. I hardly ever take grazes and scrapes either. Now... it's not force related... but it's all about the right type of contact. Which in turn actually tends to be fairly sufficient by your rules.

And while there are people who tend to make "Light" swords... the trend is actually moving to about the 8-12 oz area. Which I know is lighter than your game but that's still heavier than swords made even a couple years ago.

As you fight more experienced fighters in the game the heavier the swords actually become... because they know it's not about just being fast... but also correct body mechanics.
Lokin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty S & B

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

The lame thing about ditching is that you cannot break people shields, so red weapons are almost useless. Which is another thing that makes it no fun for me.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lokin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 pm

They're not useless, your role however changes, instead of trying to go through them you have to go around them or by manipulating them. If you work with someone else...you can open up shots for your friend very well...
Lokin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty S & B

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Real shields in real fight are breakable. Breaking shields is a very important part of two handed sword fighting.
Of course I can fight without breaking shields, but why, when it is a part of the game I like already, at all times, in every battle?
This conversation has become about why I find amtgard fighting to be less fun. THIS is a major reason.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Rasheab » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Thumbs, to add to what Randy said: it's the first person who dies on the winning team. Or the losing team gets newcomers. (In my experience.) Ditching is classless, and moves really fast, so a lot of folks prefer it over battlegames.

I think ditching works really well when modified for Belegarth. Use all the normal Bel rules (+/- armor, preferably not archers), two teams line up, first person to die on the winning team switches teams. = Win.

As for polearms/red weapons in the ditch line: if you bring one on the ditch field, you're labeled as "that guy." It leads to an escalation of equipment (generally ditching is florentine or sword/bat & board, in my experience). I also recall overhearing at Battle for the Ring a Amtgarder gentleman saying that if you're the guy who brings a polearm to the ditch line, your teammates will refuse to protect you. (Not my personal experience.)
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby randy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Forkbeard wrote:The lame thing about ditching is that you cannot break people shields, so red weapons are almost useless. Which is another thing that makes it no fun for me.
FB

I understand and agree with you 100%. I think ditching should be adjusted to allow red weapons to destroy shields. When/If I am in a position on the field to make that adjustment I will.

Rasheab wrote:I also recall overhearing at Battle for the Ring a Amtgarder gentleman saying that if you're the guy who brings a polearm to the ditch line, your teammates will refuse to protect you. (Not my personal experience.)

That was me! our statement is that poles aren't people they are points. :) The dynamics of an amtgard ditch line is very intricate. Bringing a pole onto one that isn't very large tends to bring about lots of hate and discontent. If there are 20+ fighters on each side, most people wouldn't mind 2-3 poles per side. But being the only guy on the field with a pole is a bad choice.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Roland Demox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:06 am

This whole thread kinda makes me never want to attend an Amt event or practice.
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:44 am

This thread: Serious lulz.

On a semi-related note (definitely didn't read this whole thread) though. I've been to Amtgard Spring Wars, the ditch fighting was just as rough and tumble as any Bel event (potentially more so depending the Bel event). Granted, there were certainly folks who gave us some dirty looks for "playing too rough", but on a whole, all the cool kids/"important people" enjoy it just as much as we do.

Mr. Fork Lebowski, I know your shield-breaking red really brings the field together, but checking is only "illegal" in Amtgard with a SHIELD, not the shaft of a pole. Just ask Axgar... :D
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Dawken » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:22 am

Yeah Forkbeard makes great helmets. Ive had mine for over a year now.... wait whats this thread about?
Dawken
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2007
Unit: Exile
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red

Postby Scopus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 am

Yeah, let's all get back to admiring FB's sexy * helms.
Scopus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Apr 2009
Realm: Stormwrath
Unit: Merc - House Vollmer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swrd n Brd, SingleBlue, Hide behind Fox

Postby sponge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Those are pretty bad * helms.
Sponge
sponge
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thumbs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Rasheab wrote:Thumbs, to add to what Randy said: it's the first person who dies on the winning team. Or the losing team gets newcomers. (In my experience.) Ditching is classless, and moves really fast, so a lot of folks prefer it over battlegames.

I think ditching works really well when modified for Belegarth. Use all the normal Bel rules (+/- armor, preferably not archers), two teams line up, first person to die on the winning team switches teams. = Win.

As for polearms/red weapons in the ditch line: if you bring one on the ditch field, you're labeled as "that guy." It leads to an escalation of equipment (generally ditching is florentine or sword/bat & board, in my experience). I also recall overhearing at Battle for the Ring a Amtgarder gentleman saying that if you're the guy who brings a polearm to the ditch line, your teammates will refuse to protect you. (Not my personal experience.)

for a Bel game we do roughly the same thing. the last person to die on the losing team gets to pick from the dead of the winning team. any kind of weapon is fair game. It works really well.

Also as a owner of a FB helm, those things are **** awesome
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Next

Return to The Armory