Summits Armor (lots of pics)

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Summits Armor (lots of pics)

Postby Summit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:54 pm

So I'm fairly new to armoring, but I thought I'd put some pictures up of my projects. I'm enjoying it so far and am currently focusing on learning new patterns and methods; so any advice from more experience armorers is welcome.

My personal armor is fairly ghetto rigged. It's a combination of armor that I purchased last spring (later modified) and peices I made myself.

Here it is around Okfest last fall. The picture was taken when my folks came to visit.

You can hardly see it in the picture, but I etched some designs into the armor with a scratch awl.

After further modifications (not just the paint job), here it is before WPO this year:

I'll be adding an arm cannon on my cheatin' (left) arm that will articulate with the elbow peice shown on the bracer, and am currently playing around with helm patterns.

I don't plan on using this one, but I used a military surplus helmet to shape the peices.

A mask made for Slagar, soon to have a helm to match:

Some random bracers:

Tooling practice on a belt buckle for a buddy of mine:

Much more to come.
Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling
Underling

Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Hellhammer Barreller
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Summits Armor (lots of pics)

Postby Summit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Here are some pics I took while working on an arm cannon for Ahlschwede. Going for a nurgle champion sorta look. This is my first attempt at using a floating elbow type design. It's just about done..

Heres the overall pattern, the peices were trimmed down after:

Bicep Cuff and Elbow:

Tooling on the pauldron:

Aaaaand a couple of the whole shebang:

Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling
Underling

Postby varadin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm

that elbow just looks nothing but restrictive when you bend it. The point of the elbow cop being on the outside is to allow max movement. Cant say i like it, looks like to make of for its restrictiveness you made the forearm really loose? Neat look to the whole thing but I value function over styling anytime.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Summit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not trying to argue with you, but here are a couple things regarding the design of the elbow:

To some extent, that's a product of the floating cop and the toggle system used to mount it. The strips on the top and bottom articulate over the cop, and connect to the bicep cuff and bracer in the same places as a larger cop that would go around the outside.

It's a little loose in the pic, but the peice is big on me. I also have yet to rivet strips along the inside of the articulated bits (not sure what thats called) to keep them in position better. I'll have to get a picture of Ahlschwede wearing it when its done, I guess.

That being said, you probably know way more about this stuff than I do. The next full sleeve I do, I'll probably mess around with the sort of elbow you described.
Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling
Underling

Postby Slagar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 am

He used my sleeves to make the pattern. I promise, they do not bind in the slightest, they have better than full range of motion. Those four articulation toggles are the secret sauce.

Also the forearms look oversized on him because the sleeves are for another dude, ahlschwede.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr

Postby Arrakis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Good attempt. It's just so * ugly.

Have you ever seen/held/worn real arm armor?

Slagar, you should know better: That's not floating articulation. That's pinned articulation. Just because you chopped out 90% of the area of two of the lames and, for some reason, put the elbow cop on the inside (!?) of the armor doesn't make it floating articulation.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Slagar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 am

I didn't say it was floating, I said it worked. As in, zero binding throughout range of motion. **** do I care if it's "floating"?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr

Postby Derian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Arrakis, you're being * again.

The arms could definitely be done a lot better, but for how new Summit is and for the work that I've seen done, this is really pretty amazing. How many other people tackle intricate (if misguided) pieces this early in their armoring career? How many of those use multiple colors of dye along with fairly extensive tooling? How many of those actually produce a finished product that they made for someone else?

Well done, Summit. You definitely have work to do and a long way to go to improve your skills, but you're doing awesome considering how much experience you have. Feel free to shoot me a PM or hit me up at an event at any time for advice or just to talk shop.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Derian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Arrakis wrote:Have you ever seen/held/worn real arm armor?

Also: no one cares. 95%+ of the armor in this game has no basis whatsoever in reality, but a good portion of it looks amazing anyways because it fits in with the fantasy-esque world that 25 years of Dagorhir/Belegarth has created.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Derian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Also (also): pretty sure that is floating articulation, even if it's wonky as ****.

Floating articulation is the alternative to pinned articulation, where the pieces in question are riveted directly to each other. From looking at the layout of those pieces as well as him wearing it, you can clearly see the short bands that connect the elbow cop to rearbrace assembly and vambrace assembly.

It's definitely odd, but I'm willing to bet that it moves pretty well if sized appropriately.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Cade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 pm

It definitely gives you a good chaos look. Like your arm was mutated or something. Pretty cool stuff.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Summit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks, Kade.

Derian- Thanks. I wouldn't mind picking your brain. The whole point in taking on leatherworking for me was to get better at it.

Aside from the elbow cop, what do you guys think? The second shoulder is going to just be pauldron+cuff, with a separate bracer. Eventually they will be getting mounted onto a chestpeice, just doing some straps for now.
Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling
Underling

Postby Spike » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 am

DERIAN HAS OFFERED TO POST TEMPLATES AND AN IN DEPTH TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE ARM ARMOR SOME TIME LATER THIS WEEK COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS. WASN'T THAT NICE OF HIM?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Arrakis » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Derian wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Have you ever seen/held/worn real arm armor?

Also: no one cares. 95%+ of the armor in this game has no basis whatsoever in reality, but a good portion of it looks amazing anyways because it fits in with the fantasy-esque world that 25 years of Dagorhir/Belegarth has created.

Don't be obtuse, Derian. Armor works better when it's based on real armor; I give no * how it looks, style-wise. But whatever. No one cares if armor works right in Belegarth. I'll just shut up.
Arrakis

Postby Sir Guts » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm

what's all the fuss about. From what i can see in the pics, the forearm straps aren't even attached yet, and it's not the right size for him as ahlschwede is much bigger than him. It looks very monsterish (as it should for a monster character) and if the restriction isn't there and it's buyer is happy, then it's a success. The cop is very unorthodox for sure, but this is foam combat. Style and individuality sometimes take precedence over function, as the protection isn't as life or death as it was 'back in the day'.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Acorn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 am

mad props for being not only ambitious, but actually having the chops to follow through on your projects. they definitely will function decently and fit right in on a field. and you will just keep getting better the more you do it. well done.

keep up the good work.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Arrakis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Time to be more blatantly helpful, since Socratic assistance is being viewed as harangue. Good thing I have a free half an hour.

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/a ... hC_sinric/

Note how the lames are pinned together with rivets that rotate; the articulating lames are shaped (bent and dished) to allow the entire piece to move freely in the directions they are intended to move. This is what is known as full articulation or armor with articulated joints.

To borrow a picture Ender once posted,

This is floating articulation, for a shoulder joint (spaulder). Note how the leather strips are riveted to the piece and allow the lames to collapse inward, allowing for motion forward and back with the shoulder raised.

Joints which consist of a single cop pointed to either vambrace, arming coat, or rerebrace or any combination of these is often called a floating joint, as well:

http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/rondelcouter.html

http://www.allenantiques.com/A-96.html

I did some looking for something similar to the design you used, Summit. I found an SCA armorer doing something like that but without the extra lames at the elbow and with splinted arms. And with the cop on the outside of the armor.

Did you happen to get your pattern, Slagar, from a SCAdian? I can see how that method would produce a satisfactorily mobile arm harness if cut like that. I just don't understand putting the cop inside the lames like in OP's piece.

Summit: Do not view my criticism as discouragement. I want to encourage you to excel. Clean up your cuts, make sure things are symmetrical and smooth, bevel your edges, rivet heads go on the outsides (peens on the inside) whenever possible, elbow cops go on the outside of the lames. Work on your shaping. See this tutorial on water hardening to learn a reliable way to shape leather pieces without having to cut and stitch or rivet them, though that's great for larger/deeper curves: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/ ... 1&t=118610 Keep at it.
Arrakis

Postby Summit » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks man, that's very helpful. And don't worry, I wasn't offended or discouraged. I was going to send you a PM to ask for more specific feedback, but you went ahead and did one better. Thanks again.
Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling
Underling

Postby Derian » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Yaaaay everyone is friends again.

- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Nish » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Derian wrote:Yaaaay everyone is friends again.

True story. I met the person who has that tattoo. They got it at a tattoo shop 3 blocks away from me in 2005!

(also your armor is badass Summit)
**** the boards
~nish
Nish
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2008
Realm: Rhovanian
Favorite Fighting Styles: junk in the trunk

Postby DJordan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:00 pm

SUMMIT!! Will you make me a dope illy Tzeentch belt pouch?
Squire to Sir Shino
DJordan
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 22 Apr 2010

Postby Summit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Sure thing, man.
Sir Killians Squire
"Summy-yummy-yum-yum"
Summit
Underling