Newbie Armor project

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Newbie Armor project

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Hello. So, I have very little experiance in leather working, and I'd like to make some Belegarth legal armor. I dont plan on using it other than for show, but, I want it to be sturdy enough for using it in the future, if I decide I want to go the route of wearing armor.

Anyways, what would be a couple good first steps towards learning to make leather armor? Like, some good first projects?

I have a big bag of leather scraps (ranging from what it'd take to cover a football, to maybe 5 square foot chunks), all a bit better than half the thickness they aught to be, but, two layers over, they are thick enough by a measurable margin.

Appreciate any advice you'd give this newbie armorer.
I have not heard anything good about this group. They are one of a small number of realms around the country who seem to think that nerking combat and using **** weapons make it "fun" for their members. It seems to me they mean sucking at fighting is "fun" for them.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2012
Realm: Unaffiliated
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shield(r)+Javelin(l), right handed.

Re: Newbie Armor project

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm

If you have scraps, any kind of brigandine or lammellar will be a good choice. It doesn't require large pieces of leather, is easy to construct, and is pretty forgiving if you * something up - all you have to do is just make a new scale.

For larger pieces, bracers and greaves are easy as well.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:29 am

I started on some leather scale, and I think its looking pretty good.

got a question about it. I tested some silver colored paint, to make it look metallic, and the paint holds up pretty good, and looks nice. The question I'd have, though, is that if it looks metallic, and at a glance, inst going to be seen as leather, is it going to cause problems? I know i wouldn't want to swing a weapon I spent hours on into metal scale mail, it'd cheese grater it. Is metal scale armor forbidden to the point where most folks would know it isn't metal instantly by the fact I'm allowed to wear it? I'm just wondering on if its a bad idea. I'm still rather noobish.
I have not heard anything good about this group. They are one of a small number of realms around the country who seem to think that nerking combat and using **** weapons make it "fun" for their members. It seems to me they mean sucking at fighting is "fun" for them.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 am

You're fine. Metal armor is legal, and generally the safety rules it must follow also prevent it from tearing up weapons.

There's no gameplay difference between metal and leather armor, so go nuts.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Aimish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Derian wrote:There's no gameplay difference between metal and leather armor, so go nuts.

With the exception of grappling rules. If you grapple a lot, this could cause a little bit of confusion, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Aimish
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Mar 2010
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Sample Platter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 pm

has anyone recently told you guys how awesome you are?

thanks for the info. Will get on it.

As far as grappling, alot of folks I practice with, have this style, where they want to get in close to cut off my ability to get a good shot in, and, I have to be the one to start that grapple, so, any kinda armor would kinda * me over, that ways. I figure in the future, I might get good enough to not have that come up often, then I'll start wearing armor, lolz. I definately see what you mean, a marshal might call me out on breaking the rule if I try to grapple someone in leather, not knowing its painted leather. It is really good paint, looks just like its stainless steel thats been bent so it lost that mirror to it.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Any marshal worth his salt wouldn't have any trouble identifying the difference. Also, keep in my that the grappling restrictions only restrict you from initiating the grapple. If they initiate, you're cool. On that note, touching, pushing or shoving someone does not count as grappling. You must physically grab or restrain the person with your body for it to count as grappling.

If they're just getting close you to, feel free to give them a shove or shield push to put them back in your preferred striking zone even if you're wearing armor.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 pm

newbiefourtyseven wrote:has anyone recently told you guys how awesome you are?

No. I mean, obviously I knew already, but no one has mentioned it recently.

All kidding aside, though the boards can be harsh if you are a brand new member who asks questions but then repeatedly argues with or discounts the advice of people who have been doing this for over a decade, the vast majority of us absolutely do want to help. Researching before asking intelligent questions as well as taking advice from veterans will cause you absolutely zero problems. Everyone who whines about being **** on is receiving the direct fallout of being a total jerk.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Return to The Armory