New to leather working. What leather do I need from Tandy?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New to leather working. What leather do I need from Tandy?

Postby Kauramnast » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Summer's here so my full plate armor is no longer frigid, mobile A/C unit, but is now an oven. Actually, from the smell of all the dried sweat, it's a dutch oven.... Not to mention I could better incorporate leather into my garb instead of running around blinding people with the summer sun's reflection.

Someone in the local AMT group linked me to this; http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 80-03.aspx

I did my own research and several books and articles said that 8 oz. vegetable tanned leather was period correct for leather armor. I'm just double checking with you guys, as there are A LOT of experienced leather workers on these boards. More so than any other boards that I've visited, which is probably why I pester you guys.

The group I started isn't really "period" on anything. I'm just going for realism. And instead of having someone make this like I had my plate made, I want to take a crack at it myself. My plate'll have to sleep until November.

While I'm at it, what's the best way to store plate armor?

TLDR; (I never can just ask a question can I? Chalk it up to a character flaw)

What leather do I buy from Tandy to start my newbie leather working projects?

While I'm at it what's the best way to store Plate Armor (summertime blues).
I am Jack's affinity for foam fighting.

*Clicks on a topic he finds interesting*
*Skims to get the general point of the thread from the OP*
*Immediately scrolls down and goes from page to page looking for posts by Forkbeard and Arrakis, reading them in their entirety*
*Continues to next topic*
Kauramnast
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword&Board, Florentine

Re: New to leather working. What leather do I need from Tand

Postby Aimish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

I believe 12 oz. is minimum for our game, or 3/16 of an inch. You can layer 2 pieces of thinner leather to get that thickness. People usually recommend that you start with greaves or bracers, as they are fairly simple.

I don't have any personal experience with leather working, so I'm sure someone else can give you some better advice.

As for your plate, it depends on the material, gauge, and method of construction, but I recommend you store it some place dry and not exposed to extreme temperatures. Don't leave any significant weight on it.
Aimish
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Mar 2010
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Sample Platter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Postby Mint » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 pm

If you can get a mannequin/dummy of some sort, not only do you have a good way to store it without putting too much pressure on it, but also an interesting decoration!

While we're at it, would it be too much to ask to post some pics? I'm curious to see how it turned out.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Kauramnast » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 pm

I'll see if I can get someone in my group to come over with a camera. Came out pretty much exactly like it did in my sketches, except the shoulders got slimmed down and I was able to achieve perfect range of motion.

Everyone too my sketches too literal, they were just sketches to get a general idea of the look I was going for.

*Immediately scrolls down and goes from page to page looking for posts by Forkbeard and Arrakis, reading them in their entirety*
Kauramnast
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 am

If you're making armor for Belegarth, then it will need to be a minimum of 12 oz. thick. Unfortunately, Tandy no longer sells (online, at least) the leather that most of us used. This is the best option now:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 62-16.aspx

Edit: This is an option, too: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 99-02.aspx
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Kyrian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 am

If you're just learning how to work leather, I'd avoid Derian's second link, at least initially, until you have more experience. It's exceptionally stiff and difficult to work with if you don't have the proper tools; the leather is compressed and tough enough to be used as the soles of shoes.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Kauramnast » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 am

That's a lot of money to drop, I'll just only use my plate arms/shoulders/legs/belt and a tunic through the summer.

Kauramnast
Recruit
Recruit

Return to The Armory