Studded leather issues

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Studded leather issues

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Making some armor. We are very poor, so we're going the route of min armor. You have a problem with that, feel free to send me armor/cash to alleviate this.
So my problem is I'm doing a studded leather jerkin and am having an issue getting the holes for the rivets in. I have a wheel punch, but that's only gonna get me so far before I can't use it anymore ie when I'm working have-way up a panel of the jerkin or when I'm working on the larger back panel. I tried drilling holes, that was a mess. I don't really wanna use my wife's nice scissors to poke holes. Any suggestions?
Halps me plz!
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Re: Studded leather issues

Postby Reverend » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:Making some armor. We are very poor, so we're going the route of min armor. You have a problem with that, feel free to send me armor/cash to alleviate this.
So my problem is I'm doing a studded leather jerkin and am having an issue getting the holes for the rivets in. I have a wheel punch, but that's only gonna get me so far before I can't use it anymore ie when I'm working have-way up a panel of the jerkin or when I'm working on the larger back panel. I tried drilling holes, that was a mess. I don't really wanna use my wife's nice scissors to poke holes. Any suggestions?
Halps me plz!

Get a hammered hole punch. I don't know what the proper name for it is, but you can buy the bar and around 5 different bits for it for like $30 at Tandy.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 03-00.aspx

That's the one. $15 bucks at Tandy.

I'll have mine at Chaos if you want to see it before you buy.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Derian » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 am

They also have cheaper ones you can buy at Hobby Lobby. I just use a cheap polypropylene cutting board from walmart underneath to protect the punch heads.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:27 pm

I was kind of looking for answers that weren't "Go buy a hammer-punch"
which I did
and then decided to just to a coat of plates with leather on suede.
Thanks for the help, tho guys.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to The Armory