Making Ring Mail Look Good

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Making Ring Mail Look Good

Postby tyorl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I have been watching Vikings a lot lately on History and I like this link http://ty-of-the-east.tumblr.com/image/48171756340 of Ragnar's ring mail. If I were to put more rings closer together on a sturdier base would that be enough to help make it look nice? I'm going for a torso piece that is really flexible and light and I think this might fit the bill. I'm thinking I will need a few hundred rings of 1/2" size of a gauge necessary to prevent warping, and they will be affixed so that there will be no risk of catching fingers. Also would washers be ok as long as they aren't shiny? Probably not, but I thought I'd check just in case.

Edit:link
tyorl
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2009
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Making Ring Mail Look Good

Postby Tordek » Sat May 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Washers are probably the route you want to go. Remember the thickness rules for armor when you consider your options. You can also fairly easily age or otherwise paint the washers.

Other tip is this, while historically the only way to affix them was stitching, we have glue nowadays, use that to your advantage to help make sure that the washers are securely bonded. Just use sparingly so it does not seep out the sides and be visible.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Re: Making Ring Mail Look Good

Postby tyorl » Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm

The glue idea is pretty cool and i will definitely try that. The washers are kosher as far as thickness and all that. I think I'll start it soon, and I will (eventually) post pics of a patch and progress.
Lachlan wrote:Herp-derping is definitely bad form.
tyorl
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2009
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Return to The Armory