Armor Checking

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Armor Checking

Postby Mordekiem » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:02 pm

I've been making leather armor lately and the thickness of the leather can vary. Even if they say it is 12 oz sometimes it is thicker or thinner.

How do you check the thickness of armor?

I haven't yet been to any big events so haven't had a chance to see how it is done.
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2013

Re: Armor Checking

Postby varadin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 am

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-dig ... 47257.html

Thats how I check them. Most places go by eye or with a ruler. It varies depending what people have in their weapons check kit.

Keep in mind, no where in the rules does it say anything about 12oz. The rule is

3.5. The minimum thickness for leather Armor is 3/16 inch (0.45 cm). The minimum thickness requirement can be achieved by layering up to two pieces of thinner leather.

12 ounce leather is what people are told to buy by people not understanding the rules or not understanding leather. Take calipers with you to the leather store, or buy thicker knowing you will be above the minimum.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Derian » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:17 pm

varadin wrote:12 ounce leather is what people are told to buy by people not understanding the rules or not understanding leather.

I wouldn't go that far. Leather is sold by the ounce, so it'll be much easier to look for something that is 12 oz. vs 3/16", especially if you don't have the luxury of a local leather store.

The real issue that people should realize is that leather is a natural product, so there will inevitably be variance in thickness. A side of leather marked as 12 oz. will average 3/16" thick. It will not be of uniform thickness throughout the whole piece. In fact, some sections will likely dip down to 8 oz. (2/16" for easy comparison), while some could exceed 14 oz. Long story short, you are safe buying 12 oz. leather, but be aware that some sections of the hide will be unusable as straight armor grade leather. The percentage that is below 3/16" thick will vary, so do as Varadin suggests and take calipers if you want to be sure.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Caleidah » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:08 pm

The other way to be certain is to buy 13-15oz sides. It's heavier leather, and then by nature a little more difficult to work with, but more of the hide is usable on average.

And calipers.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Kyrian » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 pm

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Mordekiem » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Cool thanks. I think that should cover what I wanted to know.

And I mentioned 12oz be cause that is what the person at the leather store said I would need when I said 3/16" thick.

They had another piece that was 12-14 I think so I might grab that when I get more cash.
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2013

Return to The Armory