Helmet too large - pad or return?

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Helmet too large - pad or return?

Postby Haardgrim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:38 am

Hi all,

I bought a spangenhelm online, only to find it about two sizes too large (62 cm instead of 60). While I really like the make and design, it sits loose enough on me to move a lot. I still have over a week return time, but I would like to make it work if I can.

Is it feasible to add padding to the rim that will last in combat, and if so, what's the best method? Or should I save myself the trouble and get a properly-sized one somewhere?

Thanks,
-Hårdgrim of Monachium
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-1998
Realm: Monachium

Re: Helmet too large - pad or return?

Postby Derian » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:11 am

Is it currently padded at all? Typically when you buy helms, they come without padding so that you can add it in as necessary. That said, 2cm does seem like it might be a bit too big to deal with, but maybe not.

Personally, when I pad helms, I just use foam. Often it's just craft foam that is 3-4mm thick, but I've seen many people use blue foam or whatever equivalent you guys have in Germany that you use to make weapons. Hot glue works to attach it inside the helm.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Helmet too large - pad or return?

Postby Kyrian » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:00 am

Is wearing a quilted or maille coif or perhaps both under the helm an option?

Also, if it doesn't have one already, you may want to consider adding a chinstrap to hold the helm in place as well.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to The Armory