Getting something in the News? Paper? Radio?

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Getting something in the News? Paper? Radio?

Postby Spork » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:22 pm

I know this somewhat goes along with how to explain Belegarth... but is there any probably way to approach authorities such as the paper/news/radio?

I've sent an e-mail to several places about the paper and the news, and my friend has a father who works at a radio station. The thing is, I don't know exactly how to approach people like this. Not explaining it, but coming up with an intelligent way to speak of Belegarth and the proper way to convince them it isn't dangerous or stupid.

I'm also wondering, what exactly would you do if you got on the news? Say a 3 minute news segment directly related to Belegarth and I've got to explain and promote it positively and properly. I was thinking of gathering some materials, half completing a sword (to show whats on the inside and what it looks like) and then a finished product. Showing a team battle where the two teams just charge into each other and explain a very simple overview of the rules.

Anything else that would help with this?

And the final two parts of this thread... has anyone tried getting on the national news? Such as the Today show or some type of evening news? At an event I'd think you'd be able to find someone who'd be interested enough to show these...

And what about MySpace, would it be possible (without paying them) to get a skin for a day on the main page?

I'm shooting big here... but those are some questions that have been scrambling around in my head.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby To'Gur » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:42 pm

The sca had cnn go to an event and it was featured on national news... but then again the sca is alot larger and more popular than belegarth
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby savetuba » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 pm

ioy, I guess I'm the only one that has done research into this.

Paper. check your local papers. I live in a small town so we only have the region and town paper, but in both papers there is an Events section and the town paper has a groups section that repeats every week. Listing What we do and where(time/location) and contact info on both. Some papers will charge others won't.

School papers. Easy to have someone submit something to the school paper and they might or might not send someone out to do a report. May have to provide a high school with the info.

News, go to the local level only. Have someone send the news corp info about how your group helps the community and there is a good chance they will send someone out.

radio. Public radio is your best bet for free ads. Commercial radio expect to pay $200+. However, if you can prove you are part of a NON Profit Org then the rates are usually cut in half. However that part seems to be hard to pull out of our leadership. Mainly because if one groups screws up then ALL groups loose the NP statutes.

also movie slides are fairly cheap, just so long as you don't want opening day or premium times.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Tethrin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 pm

Rausumea has had an article written on us in practicly every newspaper in our area. We also had Sir Madog and Sir Shub on a radio show.

I would just contact them and let them know what you do, and where you practice. Past that, I would let them do the rest. They'll come out and interview some of the fighters there, and then go write their own article and just you some quotes they got. Just make sure you dont say anything that can be twisted around.

And make sure that everyone has good garb when they come out. They'll probably want to take a bunch of pictures and use one or two of them in their article.
Tethrin Av Rausumea, Squire to Sir Cairbre Madog
Tethrin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Reverend » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Connections are the way to go.

I've got friends in a local radio station that hits the entire state. I'm working on getting an interview on KXRK in Utah.

Newspapers/Journals/Mags: It depends. I've got a buddy that writes for a college magazine that gets sent to every college in this state and he just interviewed me for an article. He's sending out a photographer here in the next couple of weeks.

You never know who you might bump into. . . so always be friendly.

XD
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Sir Par » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:26 pm

We were recently featured in GAMES magazine. Check it out, page 65
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Spork » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:17 pm

http://collect.myspace.com/misc/advertise.cfm?&Mytoken=18C0FD38-7A13-406A-8C93F8A5A91E604A16541058

If someone more appropriate for something like this could fill that out. :D
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Zeadman2 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:38 am

You know its also cool just walking down main street in your garb. instead of driving you can attract attention. (but be warned I was once spit on) any way... just be friendly and talk to people who give you weird looks and just say hi.....

get peoples attention with your get up and then draw them in with your attitude.

REMEMBER!!!!! BE PERSONABLE!!!!!!

(like a politician with out the politics.)
TIME TO PAY THE ALL MIGHTY!!!!
Zeadman2
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Malagant » Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 pm

As I remember. There was a short story on X-Play about the Belegarth community. That probably helped get some publicity.
Malagant
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Aonghus » Thu May 31, 2007 8:33 am

X-Play was just LARPers.. you know... "8 magic! YOU'RE FROZEN!"

this morning I sent a letter to my local newpaper's offspring Velocity

it's a lifestyles mag so it's a good bet

I asked them to contact me if they are interested
Aonghus
Toadie
Toadie

Return to Recruitment Ideas