Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New Realm Checklist

Postby ICARUS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:05 am

If you want to or are planning to make a new realm you may want to have:
Loaner weapons
Loaner Garb
Public Place to practice
at least 3 other people to start
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby savetuba » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 am

Loaner Garb optional. You will need it eventually, but focus on loaner weapons first.

Need at least one other person to attract people. 3 others to attract more. :)
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Hovek » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:35 am

On the Public Place to Practice note:

When just beginning, when you only have a few folks and no great level or orginization, should you contact the Parks Deepartment in your town about using the park for practices?

Also, at what point should waivers be drafted and signed by attending participants?
Hovek
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cib » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:00 pm

How do I convince other fighters that they need to ether buy or make there own weapons, not just borrow mine? I haven't had a problem with this yet (I haven't started practicing yet), but I am anticipating that it could see it being a problem.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Peregrine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:18 pm

tell them if you do not have your own weapons by______ you will not be able to fight anymore. or charge them a rental fee.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby ICARUS » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 pm

or you could let them use the one they like until you develop an urge to use it and tell them if they like it alot they can have you help them to make their own slash pay you to make one for them.
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Knightfall_Raven » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:32 am

Also, a lot of realms (mine included) prevent rank advancement. You don't have your own personal weapon? You don't move up in rank- you stay a grunt until you have garb and weapons.
------
Grunt for the Kingdom of Knightfall
Knightfall_Raven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby RedBeard » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 pm

I have found in our fledgling satellite realm that borrowing weapons hasn't been a problem. I have made about 8 blues, a javelin, one red, and one four bladed stabby glaive. Of those, I tend to loan out one or two per practice.

The first week, we had passersby stop and want to play with only the three of us out there. The next week we had six who came out with a bevy of their own weapons (non of which were safe or passing).

I worked with the guy who had brought his friends that night until we had build him a short stabby glaive using basic box technique and talking about safety. But the next week, all were armed with passing weapons, and the next we had all kinds of stuff showing up.

I still find myself loaning more weapons at the main practice field than on my satellite field, but that may change as we attract more people.

Garb is something that you have to be careful about. Most people getting in seem to be those with little income for themselves, so getting real period garb is tough, and slightly expensive. Getting them an idea of how to make some stuff and the wonders of Goodwill, is a great start, but pushing people to spend a bunch of money on garb will probably have a negative affect.

I like the approach of limiting advancement. We tend to put a garb tax down by the end of summer requiring all non garbed players to fight only single blue.

Don't know if it helps, but there's my experience.
RB
RedBeard
Dimma Ulfur - Dark Wolves
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Aonghus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:26 am

The threat of it helped with me. The day after I heard they were going to force me to fight single blue, I was out at goodwill and a local consignment shop searching.
Aonghus
Toadie
Toadie

Postby The Shirker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:46 pm

All very helpful RedBeard. But might I ask, how public was your practice location that you mentioned how in only a few weeks 5 or so people that were passersby joined?
The park that we use is kinda secluded being that the only roads beside it is the entrance leading to the parking lot and an expressway. Should we try to find a spot with more traffic in the general area?
The Lowlands

v. shirked, shirk·ing, shirks
v. tr. To avoid or neglect (a duty or responsibility).
v. intr. To avoid work or duty.

"I'll fight, till from my bones my flesh be hacked. Give me my armor." - Macbeth
The Shirker
Monkey
Monkey

Postby RedBeard » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 pm

It was as much serendipity as location... We are in a nature reserve that is used by most locals at some time or another. It's simply good fortune that has thrown passersby in front of us (that and being the first location people can pass as they enter or leave the park). That being said, the folks that have stopped have all been involved in some other similar activity currently or in the past (SCA, Amtgaurd).

I hope to get some fliers out that someone who knows much more about Photoshop than I has put together and posted here on the boards. We will be putting them up in the local grocery markets.

Regards,
RB
RedBeard
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby The Shirker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 am

Thankyathankya. I read your long post here http://belegarth.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23148 and that helped quite a bit too. I guess we should consider relocating ...
The Lowlands

v. shirked, shirk·ing, shirks
v. tr. To avoid or neglect (a duty or responsibility).
v. intr. To avoid work or duty.

"I'll fight, till from my bones my flesh be hacked. Give me my armor." - Macbeth
The Shirker
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Spork » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:15 am

To deter people from using realm weapons, we usually make them bright pink and write LOANER, down the sides.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Elohssa Y'trid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 am

Sometimes that backfires though....watch out.
Mountain Troll.
Elohssa Y'trid
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty.

Postby Outis » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:23 pm

In my (limited) experience, 3 people is ok to start, but you want to get a core of 6 committed people ASAP. It's hard to get a good core, but when you have them coming consistently, then your group can start to grow. You start looking more like a group and less like some guys playing in the park. I pick 6 since you can start doing team games and you generally have a lot more options.

Once you get a few people you might have a stick and stitch session.

Basically pool some money and buy some PVC, camp pads, dap, and cloth. Then get everyone together and show them how to make their own weapons and garb.

It helps freeing up loaners, but more importantly, when people invest their own time and effort in making their own personal weapons they are more likely to stick around (it helps build your core group). Also, when people have their own weapons they can more easily explain the sport to their friends and bring more people.
Outis
Thug
Thug

Postby RedBeard » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Another issue you may run into that we did was people making their own weapons without any guidance (the second week they came they brought impressive looking, yet totally un-passable weapons).

This caused a great deal of consternation for me, as I wanted to allow them to use their weapons, but they were very unsafe. I ended up working with the guy who had started bringing his friends and stayed late that next practice to make a passable weapon (glaive). It gave him a cool factor weapon, and he in turn worked throughout the week with his friends (now out of school and unemployed) to get some passing weapons built.

The tactic worked, but I don't think it will work in all cases.

I have started the habit of bringing my weapons building materials with me to practice and trying to work on something at least every other practice. It tends to allow people to see the construction and ask questions. It also shows that there are plenty of mistakes that can be made and corrected during construction.

We now have most fighters with their own passing weapons.

The number of fighters does make a difference, and be sure to encourage your current fighters to bring people out. That being said... just a few guys "playing in the park" is enough to turn heads, so don't be discouraged if that's all you have to start with.

One of our guys made a banner (after nagging me about it and I kept running out of time) to fly during practices and I think it helps to tell people we are not just "hanging out with nothing better to do" but actually have a purpose in being there.

Best regards,
RB
RedBeard
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby RedBeard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 pm

A couple of things I forgot to mention that has come up lately, that all realms should have, are a first-aid kit and a water cooler. Band-aids, antibiotic cream/ointment, some gauze, athletic tape, the usual for cuts & scrapes from an unforgiving ground or walnut that happens to attack a player.
I use a 2 gallon water cooler for our satellite realm and it seems to be sufficient. I make sure there is ice water in it and cups and sharpie markers. I wash out the plastic cups because, as everyone knows by now, I love my planet... it's where I keep all my stuff.
RedBeard
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby aids_factory » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 pm

so basically I would have to request weapons if I dont' have them?

... :unsure:
Aborted by Enoch.
aids_factory
Banned

Return to Recruitment Ideas