Speaking at a college???

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Speaking at a college???

Postby Aganon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:55 am

So here's the story. I'm from the realm YaaraSeene in Union OR. We are VERY low on numbers, and by May 3rd or so, It looks like we will be down to 2 people. Me and Anai, a 15 yr old girl.

So, her and I are wanting to get some PR, and we were thinking of somehow speaking at the University 15 minutes away from our realm. The only problem is, she will be 15 and I will be 17, so it may be awkward for High Schooler's to be trying to convince college student's to come play with them.

But what we were hoping to do, was try and see if we could speak either in a type of student-taught class deal they have at EOU, or another idea, was to speak at a party known as "Lord of the Rings Days" Which is a 24 hour party where they play games, watch all the movies, dress up, and celebrate J.R.R. Tolkien's brilliance.

But I've made pamphlets, I hope to make business cards, and I'm thinking of making a PowerPoint if I'm going to speak at the college. I want it to seem professional-ish, to try and show them we're not some little geeky kids lol.

So I'd have the slide show, a brief explanation, pamphlets and cards to hand out, our good weapons for examples, answer any questions, and then I would hope to give a choreographed (or not) duel between Anai and I, and then let them experience a bit with the weapons. Both of us have garb, so we could do it all in garb too.

So, any ideas/suggestions??? I could DESPERATELY use them.

-=Aganon=-
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Thugorp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 am

sorry you didn't get any answers, but... how did it go?
we are the gnomes, preparer to be naturalized.

Two roads diverged in a tulgey wood, And
burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
went vorpal blade
but, Wee sleekit cowrin', tim'rous beastie
do not be afraid
because you are free compared to me
your destiny still not maid
for...
Thugorp
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Aganon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 am

lol it hasn't gone yet. lol I posted that yesterday (Jan 20th, 2008)

Your opinion will still be appreciated! :)

-=Aganon=-
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Talking could work - I've never considered that. Generally, for recruitment, we've relied on demos and fliers.

Now.. the problem with fliers is that you generally want as solid core that new people will be seeing... you'll have that same issue with demos.

I would recommend either convincing some friends to join you, then promoting, or getting the closest nearby realm to come help you do demos for a while.

Also, yes.... taking advantage of that Lord of the Rings festival - in any way possible - is a good idea. The fact that there is such a festival means that that's probably a good college to recruit from.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Elwrath » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:54 am

try your guys high school...practice outside the school during lunch or as school is getting out where alot of people can see you and come over and ask about it, if they want...fair warning though you will be made fun of at some points nad have people laugh and point. But you may also get alot of people to start coming.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:06 am

The most effective advertisement I have seen is regular practice where people passing by can see you.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Aganon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 am

lol we've had practices in front of people at school, and nothing came of it, except for 12 year olds from Jr. High. We go to a very small school with Jr and Sr High put together, and even then we only have 200 kids.

We've been having practices in the city park right in the middle of town, but it's a very rural town and people don't pass often, and when it is, it's part of the 80% of our population that's over 65!

We're just getting a bit desperate.

-=Aganon=-
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 pm

I think the slide show is probably a good idea. Try to highlight the basics of combat.

I personally would shy away from a demonstration between two fighters. Such things look contrived and kind of silly. Letting some people swing the weapons is a farely good idea though.

If you have lots of time, try paring people off against each other in a 'gladiator pit' (be sure have waivers along and get them signed if you're going to do this). Alot of fighters tell about fighting just once and getting hooked on it, hopefully you'll get the addiction factor to work for you.

Keep your audience in mind. While dressing up in garb might work for this particular group, remember that some people will be put off by it. For these people it might be better to take a 'sport' approach.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Aganon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:49 pm

lol If we speak at LoTR Days, we wouldn't fit in if we weren't in garb lol.

But thanks for the tips so far. Keep 'em comin'!

-=Aganon=-
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Porthos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 pm

The way Wolpack got me and a good number of others is setting up a booth during Quad Days. If you can get permission from the college to come during one of the fairs where they display all of the RSO's and local businesses for the freshmen and such, it's a major recruiting tool. Not to mention, we were able to fight members of Wolfpack (I had my * handed to me by Sir Morpheus). They had pamphlets, but ultimately it just gave a brief rundown and links to websites. Have a website, or a blog even, or something, to give some information and lead them to more. I would imagine that a Tolkein thing would be a great place for recruitment.

Just throwing out how I was hooked...
"I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." -Claude Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves"- Claude Andre Helvetius
Porthos
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2007
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Polearms, Board and Sword/Flail

Postby savetuba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Check your local news papers. if there are kids/teens that like this kind of thing you know their parents are aware of it. Anyway, check the papers in your area to see if they have a column for what is happening or groups/clubs listing. try and get your contact info, a quick message of what you do, a picture if you can.

Example:
http://verdenews.com/Main.asp?UID=11901 ... entID=6747
That is on the local paper's web site. It is also doubled in the 3 times weekly paper and the monthly and weekly paper that they produce. However, I have my phone # in those...

I have gotten a lot of attention from curious people in this manner.

Next is hit up any gaming group. Let them know that you are out there. Do a demo of how it works then let them try it. Card games, board games, network game sites, ect...

Place fliers in paint ball shops, skate board shops, gaming shops, computer stores, announcement boards at the local food store(s)/gas stations, and any place that will let you place a flier without being fined. Talking to shop owners that your advertising as a good chance of drawing more of their target group to their store will help convince them .

Churches. Talk to your local churches and see if they have a youth group and ask if you can do a demo for them and have them try it. I've had an entire church youth group show up a few times and several of them still come back and fight.

The youth is the future. If you have a bunch of 10-13 YOs show interest then create a special kids group that allows them to fight with each other and you herald. You won't see an immediate increase, but it make those kids want to keep fighting as they grow up insuring your realm will still be around 4-5 years later. Also talk to their parents. Let them know it is a cheap sport that keeps them out side and away from the tv/computer. A healthy kid is one that plays out side.

Consider you will only ever have 8% of the local kids (under 18) fight with you. and maybe 5% of adults. So if that means you live in a small town, then you will always have a small group.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Aganon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:19 pm

So, I've just been informed that the guy who ran the Tolkien parties, graduated last year, so there won't be anymore, which really sucks, cause they were awesome lol.

But that you all for the help you've been so far. Don't refrain! Our realm does have a homepage, and I put it on the pamphlets. The site is [url]yaaraseene.biz.ly[/url]. It was just recently made, so it's not all that exciting yet, and we don't have any pictures of our own realm up yet, but we hope on getting some on soon!

Thanks for all the help so far!

-=Aganon=-
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:34 pm

one more thing,

if someone shows interest in making their own stuff, and you should encourage new people to make their own to help lessen the constant use of loaners, throw a build party. That means you two(or more people) show up at X location to make weapons, drink soda/beer(beer only to those over 21 and after building stuff!), and eat pizza. Even if it is just the two of you it allows that person to have a passing weapon, lets the person know you like him/her (even if you can't stand the person) and accepted him/her into your group. In short, Bonding. When person A feels accepted he/she will bring his/her friends along as well.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Aganon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:29 am

Yeah, we've had a couple weapon-making parties so far. lol You can never have enough weapons though!

-=Aganon=-
Aganon
Toadie
Toadie

Return to Recruitment Ideas