Northlands

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Northlands

Postby Zev » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:19 pm

So we up here in the northlands are in dire need of some recruitment help. We have only about 10 people who are actually serious about belegarth other than casual fighting once a week. Now a few of my friends and i want to try to restore the Northlands back to its former number of people, but were all quite new to belegarth and have pretty much no idea how to get people to come join us. now, my friend jorel and i have browesd through these boards for ideas, and they have been pretty helpfull, but i was just wondering if anyone had some general ideas for helping our relm back on its feet.
Thanks a bunch
ZEV
Dont Change your color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you.
-Kender Proverb
Zev
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2008
Realm: Northlands
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Northlands

Postby Derian » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I have no idea if you do this currently, so don't take it as a personal attack.

NB found a few years ago that we had withered down to just a few people. We would have between 5 and 7 people on any given practice. Pretty much everyone was good friends with everyone else, and most people were pretty hardcore. Being a college realm, we'd always have that beginning of college surge and jump up to 15-20 people in a practice, but come October or so, they'd all be gone.

We finally realized that a lot of us were pretty much being elitist * and really tried to turn that around. You have to be welcoming and friendly to 99% of people who come and fight. Additionally, it helps to do things outside of fighting as well. This can start out as simple as things like weapons buildings, garb days or things like that, but it certainly doesn't have to end there.

After pretty much any practice anymore, we always go out to a restaurant and invite everyone to come, then we just hang out and * for a bit. A number of other realms do things like this and it's worked out very well for them. I would strongly consider doing something like this.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Jorel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Derian, your idea should be pretty simple for us to accomplish, we are gonna petition to start a club at the local Community College (Where I will be attending) and setting up practice times there. It's right downtown so we will be very near to bars/restaurants/etc...

I'm working on a promo poster right now for posting up advertisements. Anyone else have and bizarre forms of getting people to practice?
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Cib » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Food?
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Theros the Large » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Make sure that the place you choose for your practice area has walk-by traffic. It is really easy to get peoples attention when they can walk up ans ask questions.

You will also want to hit up every nerd hangout in your local area. Put up flyers at all of the comic shops and gaming stores. Make sure that you have an email contact on your flyers and the location and time of your practices.

Getting some girls in corsets and pretty garb will help as well. Make sure they know the basics of the rules and set them loose on any guys who are walking past. Once they come over show the person the rules and have them swing a sword for a bit.

This is the tried and true method used at Wolfpack and they have tons of new people every year.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Jorel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Somehow food at practice just seems like it would be distracted, however maybe a mini-event several months into campaigning...

Also here is the poster I'm thinking of, tell me of any positive/negative things you see:

Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Derian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:02 pm

I like it.

I would take out the part about LARPing. Most people have no idea what it is. I would probably put something that explains what Belegarth is in a little bit more detail.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Zev » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Sweet. Looks like we got some info enough to start things going. Please keep posting though everyone! everything .
also yeah the larping might not get people into it....
Dont Change your color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you.
-Kender Proverb
Zev
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jorel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Alrighty, I fixed the quote by ripping off one of Big Jimmy's posters.

Anything else I should add/remove?
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Theros the Large » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 am

You may want to spell "safely" correctly.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Aslaug » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 am

A couple of the guys in our realm used to go out with the bow and randomly shoot people who looked like they'd be interested. If they smiled and laughed, they'd walk up and talk to 'em, otherwise they'd just get their arrow back and move on. We've had a few people come to practice on account of this.

One idea I've had but never got around to doing was a little more theatrical. My plan was to go to some semi crowded place (probably near our park) and have a couple guys come running around a corner with a couple swords looking pretty terrified. They'd run up to random people, hold out the swords and ask for help. Then another group would come running around the corner and attack. We really wouldn't pay too much attention to the rules there, rather we'd just make it look dramatic and let the people we handed swords to win. A lil' risky, but I think if you make a big enough scene, someone in the area will take notice.
When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD!
Aslaug
Scout
Scout

Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Barbarian Nation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything big and heavy.

Postby Zev » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Aslaug wrote:A couple of the guys in our realm used to go out with the bow and randomly shoot people who looked like they'd be interested. If they smiled and laughed, they'd walk up and talk to 'em, otherwise they'd just get their arrow back and move on. We've had a few people come to practice on account of this.

One idea I've had but never got around to doing was a little more theatrical. My plan was to go to some semi crowded place (probably near our park) and have a couple guys come running around a corner with a couple swords looking pretty terrified. They'd run up to random people, hold out the swords and ask for help. Then another group would come running around the corner and attack. We really wouldn't pay too much attention to the rules there, rather we'd just make it look dramatic and let the people we handed swords to win. A lil' risky, but I think if you make a big enough scene, someone in the area will take notice.

O.O
i want to do that
-Kender Proverb
Zev
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Aslaug » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Zev wrote:
Aslaug wrote:A couple of the guys in our realm used to go out with the bow and randomly shoot people who looked like they'd be interested. If they smiled and laughed, they'd walk up and talk to 'em, otherwise they'd just get their arrow back and move on. We've had a few people come to practice on account of this.

O.O
i want to do that

You totally should.
Aslaug
Scout
Scout

Postby Derian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 am

...Yeah, that's really a terrible idea.

What happens when someone has you arrested for assault?
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Aslaug » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Derian wrote:...Yeah, that's really a terrible idea.

What happens when someone has you arrested for assault?

Then you go to jail for assault, obviously
Aslaug
Scout
Scout

Postby Dane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm

They'd run up to random people, hold out the swords and ask for help.

If you used planted fighters in mundane clothes, it'd work better and with no assault charges.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Return to Recruitment Ideas