Glossary of Terms

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Glossary of Terms

Postby Xipher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Here is a copy of the glossary of terms I am including in the Belegarth Manual. If you have some time, please read through it and give me your thoughts. Let me know if you disagree with any definitions or see something that I did not include.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Amtgard: A LARP distantly related to Belegarth. They place a large emphasis on role-playing in the form of classes, levels, and magic and generally focus less on combat alone.

Anviling: Placing a weapon against your body or shield to block a shot. This is not allowed.

Ball & wall: Refers to the use of a flail and shield.

Blue foam: Ozark Trail camping pads. They can be found at WalMart in the camping section. The most common foam for swung weapons.

Blue weapon: A class I weapon.

Body check: Running into someone’s body with your own.

BoW: See: Book of War.

Book of war: The official rules set for Belegarth Medieval Combat Society. Developed and amended by the War Council.

Bracer: Forearm armor made from leather or plate.

Brigandine: Armor formed by connecting small plates together.

Buckler: A small shield, usually strapped in such a way that the user can still wield weapons in both hands. There are no rules distinction between bucklers and shields.

Butt sash: A small sash of fabric worn on a belt that indicates realm, unit, or house affiliation.

Cheap: Something that is viewed as giving an unfair advantage while still being legal. This can include weapons and battlefield practices.

Cheese: A weapon or shield that is viewed as conferring an unfair advantage over other equipment choices but is still legal.

Class 1 weapon: Generally, one-handed swung weapons. See the Book of War for rules concerning class I weapons.

Class 2 weapon: Generally, two-handed swung weapons. See the Book of War for rules concerning class II weapons.

Class 3 weapon: A held thrusting weapon. See the Book of War for rules concerning class III weapons.

Class 4 weapon: Javelins and arrows. Projectile piercing weapons. See the Book of War for rules concerning class IV weapons.

Class 5 weapon: Coreless foam thrown weapons. See the Book of War for rules concerning class IV weapons.

Closed-cell foam: Foam that does not absorb water. Examples include “blue camping foam” from WalMart, EVA light, and Edhellen Armories’ weapon and shield foam.

Core: The central shaft that a weapon is built on or the central platform a shield is built on. Examples for weapons include PVC pipe, fiberglass, and kitespar. Shield cores are usually plywood or plastic.

Cored shield: A cored shield is a shield that has a solid core in it. Examples of common cores are plywood and plastic.

Coreless shield: A shield without a rigid core. Typically made from a stiff foam to prevent excess flexibility.

Cuirass: Leather body armor.

Cutthroat: A free-for-all battle.

Dagorhir: Belegarth split off from Dagorhir due to a disagreement over ownership of the name and rules. The rules systems are very similar and many people participate in both sports.

DAP: Shorthand for DAP-Weldwood Contact Cement. A highly recommended adhesive for weapons building.

Darkon: A fighting group similar to Belegarth located mainly on the east coast. They include more role-playing than Belegarth in the form of character classes and a system for magic.

Dingleberry: A ring of foam wrapped around a flail chain.

Ego armor: A derogatory term referring to someone’s inability to feel shots due to their own perceived skill level. A form of cheating.

EVAlight: A high quality closed-cell foam.

Event: An organized day, weekend, or week of fighting that is larger than a standard practice. Events typically draw fighters from many different realms and include camping and feasting.

Flail: A ball-and-chain style weapon.

Flail-entine: The fighting style where the fighter uses a flail in each hand.

Flank: The outermost sides of a battlefield formation.

Flat: The non-striking surface of a sword perpendicular to the blade surface.

Flex: The amount of bend a weapon has when it is held at the base, swung, and stopped abruptly. It is also checked by striking a surface with the weapon and observing the resulting angle the weapon bends to.

Florentine: The fighting style where the fighter uses a sword in each hand.

Fry (shield fry): The edge wrapping of foam on a shield.

Fry (sword fry): A complete piece of foam used for the blade of a sword.

Gank: A slang term for massively outnumbering your opponent.

Garb: Costuming.

Gimp: A gimp is a person who has lost a limb but is still alive.

Glaive: A large pole-weapon that consists of a (generally) one sided class 2 striking surface, usually with a class 3 stabbing point. A glaive is usually in excess of 6 ft.

Grapple: Wrestling. Legal grappling includes most rules allowed under high school wrestling. Specifically disallowed are throws, joint locks, and nerve pinches.

Green weapon: A class 3 weapon.

Greave: Lower leg armor made from plate or leather.

Grip: The handle of a weapon. Can also refer specifically to a friction covering of some sort on the handle.

Guild: An affiliation of medieval professionals. In Belegarth they are usually tailors, weapon smiths, and armorers.

Haft: The non-striking portion of a weapon that is covered with incidental padding.

Halberd: A swung class II pole weapon that is largely shaft with an axe blade at the tip.

Handle: The part of a weapon that is gripped.

Herald: A Marshal.

Hold: A pause in the game called when someone is injured or a situation is becoming unsafe. When someone calls “Hold!” you should also yell “Hold,” kneel or crouch, and wait for a Marshal to correct the situation. Players should not move while the game is held.

House: A close affiliation of fighters that fight together. Similar to a unit but usually with more social activities.

Javelin: A class IV weapon that is similar to a spear, but can be thrown.

Kitespar: A very light carbon composite material used for lightweight weapons. Originally designed as structural support for kites.

LARP: Live Action Role Play. Any game where the participants assume a fictitious personality and interact with other people in character.

Mace: A smashing weapon consisting of a shaft with a large massed striking surface on the end.

Marshal: A referee. Anything a Marshal says on the field goes, period. Marshals call games and make hit determinations in the case of a questionable shot.

Medic: A trained first-aid professional at events. If you witness an injury that requires immediate first aid, call a “Hold” and call for a medic.

Monkey-stomped: Similar to gank. Dying by being massively outnumbered or outclassed.

Monster character: A non-human character that is generally considered evil. Examples include goblins, orcs, trolls, bugbears, etc.

Mundane: Modern, regular, not period. Usually used to refer to the way a person is dressed.

Newbie: Also, n00b. Refers to a person new to the game. It is sometimes derogatory, depending on context but is often just an easy way to say “new fighter.”

Non-striking surface: A surface of a weapon that is not intended for striking another fighter.

Open-cell foam: Foam that absorbs water. Common examples include egg-crate foam mattresses and upholstery foam.

Pauldron: A segmented leather or plate armor piece covering the shoulders and upper arms.

Period: Refers to whether or not something was in existence in the time frame simulated.

Persona: The name, race, and personality you role-play while fighting.

Pole-arm: A long, swung, class II weapon, often with a class III stabbing tip.

Pommel: The end of a weapon opposite the striking surface, not intended for striking.

Pud: A derogatory term referring to someone that lacks fighting skill and is usually poorly garbed.

Punch shield: A shield with a punch-style grip. A punch grip is a roughly centered handle on the back of the shield that you grip with a fist.

Punk-down: Decisively defeating your opponent, usually with them ending up on the ground.

Quiver: A container to hold arrows on the field.

Realm: The basic organizational division of Belegarth. A realm is designated by a name and geographical location and practices together at a set time in a set location.

Red weapon: A class II weapon.

Rhino-hider: A derogatory term for a person who doesn’t acknowledge hits. It is a play on the term rhino hide (skin) meaning to hide behind a thick skin. This is cheating.

SCA: The Society for Creative Anachronism. A medieval fighting group that emphasizes realism. They use rattan weapons and require body armor and helmets.

Shaft: The non-striking surface covering the length of a javelin.

Shield bash: Striking a fighter with a shield after more than a two-step run.

Shield check: Striking a fighter with a shield after taking up to a two-step run.

Shield push: Placing a shield against a fighter and pushing.

Shield wall: A formation of shields in a linear fashion that moves and attacks together.

Skill-on-a-stick: Refers to a flail.

Slap: A harder than normal feeling from a weapon resulting in being covered with duct tape. Air cannot escape the foam in a normal manner so the foam does not compress in a normal fashion.

Stabbing tip: The portion of a weapon that is legal to stab with. Usually includes some amount of open celled foam. Only weapons specifically designed for stabbing are legal to stab with.

Stick jock: Slang term for a fighter that is not interested in the role-playing elements of the game, only the fighting.

Sting: A sharp stinging sensation when hit with an improperly padded weapon.

Sword & board: Refers to the weapons combination of sword and shield.

Tabard: A rectangular piece of fabric with a hole for the head that is worn as costuming. It is not stitched at the sides and is held closed with a belt.

Tank: Refers to heavily armed, shielded, and armored fighter.

Tip: The end of a weapon furthest from the handle. Subject to the greatest amount of stress and generally breaks down most quickly.

Troll: The check-in booth at events. Troll checks waivers, checks ages, accepts payment, and answers general questions.

Tunic: Similar to a tabard but closed on the sides under the arms.

Uber: German for super or over.

Ultra-light: An extremely light and fast weapon.

Uni-foam: High quality open-cell foam. Sometimes referred to as computer foam.

Unit: A unit is a group of fighters with a common theme that fight together. Some realms are completely sectioned into units while other realms have few or none.

War Council: The body that governs the Book of War. Formed by members of many realms.

Weapons check: The process of checking all weapons before they are used on the field at an event.

White weapon: A class V weapon. Also known as rocks.

Yellow weapon: A class IV weapon. Includes arrows and thrown javelins.
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1999
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Freeborn

Re: Glossary of Terms

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 am

Instead of "Butt sash" perhaps you meant "belt sash?"
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Xipher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 am

Nope, I meant butt sash. They are commonly called that around here. I'll include belt sash though, thanks.
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Postby Slagar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Your definition of sting seems a little dodgy to me. Anyone who's been grazed across a nipple or some flab knows that the nicest weapons around can still sting. I'd suggest just pulling it, since our use of the word isn't in any way specialized terminology. Anyone who doesn't know what "sting" means would be just as well served by a standard dictionary, you know?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Galya » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Xipher wrote:Nope, I meant butt sash. They are commonly called that around here.

Maybe among you old peoples they are. I call them "belt flags". But whatever, tomato, tamato.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:44 pm

You watch who you're talking to missy, there's a good chance that man started your realm. ;)
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Magpie Saegar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm

I would add the verb form of "flat" rather than simply the noun.

I would add "courtesy padding."

I would change "shaft" to not JUST refer to javelins, and I'd crosslist it as haft-padding.

I would change "mundane" to also refer to people, not just to people's attire. eg., "there were some mundanes watching us practice yesterday." Also, it can be used to refer to things beside clothing in the phrase "remember: mundane life comes first."

I would add the verb form of "flank" as well, and maybe even "flanker"

I would add "gimp&go" as the strategy of disabling an opponent's leg and then running past them.

Personally, I would not have added slang that has no special use in Belegarth or medieval combat, such as "uber" "sting" "slap" "punk-down" "pud" "newbie" "monkey-stomped" and "gank." First of all, I've never heard most of them used in Belegarth. For the ones I have heard, though, they've always been instantly understandable, in that they are not used in a unique way.

I have also only ever heard it called "belt sash." Must be a regional thing.

Those are my thoughts, take them or leave them.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Derian » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:35 pm

IIRC, that was common usage in Io-way circa 2003 or so. Isn't that about when this was drafted, Xipher?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Atman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Simo,Symo..? Simultaneous kill.

newb-fu

Have also heard cut-throat refered to as "meat-grinder"

Strap Shield---may seem self evident, but as long as the other types are defined it should probably be included. May also want to note standard shapes.

Might want to include abbreviation "Jav/javie" under javelin.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Unit: Horde

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 am

Belt sash is common terminology out west.

"Pud" comes from the original handbook, or at least the original Dur-D handbook I used to have.

"Slagged"-struck in the groin and left for dead, usually amongst much laughter and pointing.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Xipher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for looking through it guys, those are all good suggestions.

IIRC, that was common usage in Io-way circa 2003 or so. Isn't that about when this was drafted, Xipher?

Yes, this is an older draft with only one recent once-over to update it. I wanted a wider geographic perspective on it to make sure it was up to date and comprehensive.

Magpie, that's a good point about general slang words. I will consider omitting some of them.
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Postby eeach » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:33 am

Xipher wrote:Thanks for looking through it guys, those are all good suggestions.

Yes, this is an older draft with only one recent once-over to update it. I wanted a wider geographic perspective on it to make sure it was up to date and comprehensive.

Magpie, that's a good point about general slang words. I will consider omitting some of them.

Or offer two versions, one categorized and one alphabetical. Including a slang category in the glossary isn't necessarily a bad thing... just having random slang sprinkled through it may be though.
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Horde marched to the field. Their leaders up in the air, adorned in furs and animal skulls. Women from camps chained underneath the platforms, fire-breathers & flag bearers ran about before of the procession. I have never in my life felt closer to being in a fantasy world. I will always remember that for a moment I thought so many things were possible.
eeach
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 18 Apr 1996
Realm: Stal Dalen
Unit: HORDE

Postby The Great Gigsby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:04 am

I've heard butt sash, or butt flag used more often in the SCA where I think the general opinion is that they have no historical precedent and are thus subject to derision.

Amtgard: A LARP distantly related to Belegarth. They place a large emphasis on role-playing in the form of classes, levels, and magic and generally focus less on combat alone.
FWIW, Amtgard never refers to itself as a LARP in any official document. But calling it anything else is kind of like calling a spade a spayed.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:19 pm

You tag "blue weapon" as a Class 1 weapon, and then define Class 1 weapons as "generally one handed," and while the word generally is in there, you'll probably end up with a bunch of people arguing that a two-handed blue, like the one I have in the other room, is a red. Maybe included something about length or weight, and say that it is "usually, but not always, one handed" and then for Class 2 say something about length and weight as well. I'd say explain that it can, too, be used with one hand, but you'd have to explain that it wouldn't be as effective, rules-wise... and, well, that part is what the BoW is for.
Nigel
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Gilead
Unit: -
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue, Sword and Board, Two-Hand Blue (untested in all)

Postby Dacian » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Also, to my knowledge, Kitespar isn't a carbon composite. It's actually hollow fiberglass pole.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Poo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Brigandine: a form of body armor, is a cloth garment, generally canvas or leather, lined with small metal or leather plates riveted or sewn into the fabric.

Also, as a former Amtgarder, i wouldn't call it a larp. Call it a fantasy and medieval combat game. The only time anyone roleplays is during quests, and those suck most of the time.

I know its been said before in the thread, but i think adding a separate, but more comclusive slang section would improve this immensely. Add mantis, punch n pie, stroke n poke, all those weird fighting styles so it doesn't take new players forever to find out what they mean.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008