Shameless bribery

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shameless bribery

Postby Eris » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 am

8 yards of broadcloth: $16
2 packs of bias tape: $6
Having tunics to hand out to the new people to bribe them into coming back: Priceless.

Seriously. This worked really well. The tunics took something like an hour and fifteen minutes to make (all four together), and the kids were so excited when they got the tunics at the end of practice. It made them feel like they were wanted and that we really appreciated that they came out. I figure for $6 and 20 minutes per tunic, it was well worth it. They aren't the best tunics (super-simple T-tunics, the bias tape was only on the neck holes), but they sure made the kids happy.

I waited to hand them out at the end of practice, because those were the kids who were really into it and I figured had the best chance of coming back to the next practice. Made each tunic out of a different color fabric so they'd be "unique", then everyone got to pick the one they wanted.
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Re: Shameless bribery

Postby Cib » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:36 am

I need to improve my sewing skills! I am taking 2h+ on a tunic! (corse, if I only sewed it once that might help ;))

THis is a neet idea, I will have to try it some time!
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Eris » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 am

I was also thinking of making one or two nicer tunics or some drawstring pants as prizes for "best newb". Like the one newb who listens when people talk to them, takes their hits, and realizes that tanking out in armor and dual wielding red swords is a bad idea before we have to explain it to them... :angel:
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 am

Pants are a good idea. That's where people struggle the most and take the longest, I've found.

Also, check out that neckhole facing tutorial I posted in another thread. If you learn to do facings, you can save that money you spent on bias tape for almost no extra effort. I'm sure you had a big enough remnant to cut a facing out of.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Eris » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

I know how to do facing. I really despise messing with it though.

It's a preference thing...

And the more I think about it, the better the prize for best newb should be pants...
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Rasheab » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:25 pm

*laughs* But people only realize that pants are a big deal AFTER they've tried to put together their own garb.

Otherwise, getting pants after your first practice is like getting them for Christmas. "Thanks grandma..." Tunics look like a uniform, so they are visibly cooler. (Make pants the "best newbie of the month" award. ;) )

Incidently, this is a really cool idea.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Poo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am

Eris wrote:I was also thinking of making one or two nicer tunics or some drawstring pants as prizes for "best newb". Like the one newb who listens when people talk to them, takes their hits, and realizes that tanking out in armor and dual wielding red swords is a bad idea before we have to explain it to them... :angel:

Sounds awesome, but don't overdo it. Giving out too much makes people comlacant. I've started not letting people borrow whatever weapons they want from me because they won't make their own. there's several fighters in my realm that have literally nothing of their own, and they get single blue until they take some initiative. It wouldn't bother me at all if they didn't have the resources and skill to do it themselves.

Soon i'm going to have a tournament with all of the noobs and have a couple tunics in our realm colors for prizes, so they can feel part of something.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby X of Grayscale » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Do you have a picture of the Tunic so i have an idea of what your doing? because that sounds like an amazing idea
X
Squire to Sir Killian
Captain of Grayscale
BMCS Vice President
X of Grayscale
Belegarth Vice President

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: Bael Turath
Unit: Grayscale
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery/S&B
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Isk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Eris wrote:I know how to do facing. I really despise messing with it though.

It's a preference thing...

And the more I think about it, the better the prize for best newb should be pants...

Been working with people on pants and looking at patterns, what type of pants would you make? Just make a pair of Hakama to give out, or some other pattern? We've talked a lot on the board lately about how people feel about tunics, but what pants patterns do people like?
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Eris » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:57 pm

For this? Drawstring pants. Kinda like pajama pants, but thicker fabric. They take me 45 minutes a pair. If I'm watching a movie at the same time. Faster if the movie is bad.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Isk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:21 pm

So, basically drawstring scrubs, right?

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Just make sure that you inspire your new players to participate in making gear and garb. I used to be really generous about giving things out to new people as a sort of incentive to keep them coming back, but down the line, most of those new people flaked out and stopped showing. This wouldn't have been too much of a problem but I started to get * when swords and garb that I'd spent time and money on and then given out never made an appearance on the field. I felt ripped off (rightfully so).

I think an even better idea is to hold weapon/garb/armor making workshops and let your new guys get some first hand experience making their own stuff. They get a new tunic or sword that they made (and bought materials for), you get to guide them and offer advice, and then they drink your beer and hit on your girlfriend.

If they never have to learn how to make their own stuff, your noobs will just mooch off you until they lose interest and never show up again. But I've found that the more time and energy a person invests in something, the more likely they are to stick around for a long time.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Isk » Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 am

Giggles wrote:Just make sure that you inspire your new players to participate in making gear and garb. I used to be really generous about giving things out to new people as a sort of incentive to keep them coming back, but down the line, most of those new people flaked out and stopped showing. This wouldn't have been too much of a problem but I started to get * when swords and garb that I'd spent time and money on and then given out never made an appearance on the field. I felt ripped off (rightfully so).

I think an even better idea is to hold weapon/garb/armor making workshops and let your new guys get some first hand experience making their own stuff. They get a new tunic or sword that they made (and bought materials for), you get to guide them and offer advice, and then they drink your beer and hit on your girlfriend.

If they never have to learn how to make their own stuff, your noobs will just mooch off you until they lose interest and never show up again. But I've found that the more time and energy a person invests in something, the more likely they are to stick around for a long time.

QFT. I absolutely agree with Giggles, have them over so starting isn't so frustrating and the stuff they make will pass. If you teach them to make their own and help them feel like they know someone and belong, they'll probably stay. I do really like the idea of having noob mini-tournies or something once a month, or every other month, with garb or weapons as a prize.

Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Eris » Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 am

We do have the garb making extravaganzas. Unfortunately, my patience and teaching abilities only stretch to two people at a time. More than that and Eris gets - salty...
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon May 04, 2009 8:20 am

A salty Eris is easily fixed by Baileys. ;)

Bad movies make the best garb motivators.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Eris » Mon May 04, 2009 9:22 am

Fact. On both counts...

Oddly enough the old cheezy Hercules movies had some GORGEOUS costuming for the ladies. I think that's where they spent their budget...
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Skydd » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

That and breast implants for the guy who played Herc. Nothing says "Son of Zeus" like some olympian Moobs!
Sir Skydd of Dunharrow
King of Dunharrow
Skydd
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2002
Realm: Dunharrow

Return to Recruitment Ideas