Combating SCA

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Combating SCA

Postby Magpie » Sat May 02, 2009 7:52 pm

SCA is so much more out in the open when it comes to recruitment! About half the people I ask to come try Belegarth tell me that they're already squires for SCA. I wouldn't have such a problem with this if it weren't for the enormous air of superiority they put on when they say it.

I don't know about you, but Belegarth has always struck me as cheaper, friendlier, and more drama-free than SCA. Other than these fantastic highlights, what are ways to combat the comparatively massive-publicity that SCA has?
Elwrath - Whoa! A hot chick with a hot knife!

Myself - Compliments are appreciated. There's a slot where you can put them.
Magpie
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2008
Realm: Stygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine - Blues or Butterknives
Single-Blue

Re: Combating SCA

Postby HesinRaca » Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Considering that the SCA is an international corporate entity with large populaces in as far reaching as australia, your best bet is to use it to your advantage. Instead of trying to convince SCAdians that show up that you're better or more fun, couple with it.

"Oh, cool, I'd be interested to see how your squire system works in the SCA, you might be able to do both at once if you want"

"SCA is definitly a good place to get the heavy fighting in but both SCA and Belegarth are sports/activities based on medieval combat. Theirs is heavier and more accurate to how it feels, but the mechanics are still a little off. Belegarth is good cross training because it builds speed and rapid response time. JUst think of them as two different ways to get your exercise"

"Well, if you're so good at SCA combat you won't mind trying your hand at Belegarth. A lot of guys that we've had come over from the SCA said that this is really good for speed training"

"Yeah, the sca is bigger, but we have more fun! Oh you don't think so? Well you should definitely come to some events!"

Etc.
If you spend less time trying to beat them and more time trying to convert them you might find your job easier. ****, I've been in the SCA for 9 years and I **** love Belegarth.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby warwell » Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 am

If someone is new to SCA, you can tell them that Bel is cheaper.

In my realm, we are not really trying to recruit from the SCA. Many of them are trapped in the mindset that the SCA is the One True Medieval Recreation Organization. It is hard to change that attitude. I prefer to focus on people who are/might be interested in medieval re-creation but are not into the hobby yet. Bel offers an inexpensive and fun way to try it out.

Another benefit in Bel, in my opinion, is that armor is not needed. This means that in the heat of South Florida, I don't get as overheated and I can fight longer.

I am going to invite the local SCA to our next event, which will include a feast. SCA is into feasts, so you might get some takers. Hopefully, some will like what they see and give us a try.

Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun May 03, 2009 7:49 am

Our approach with our Scadian friends is an attempt to cross-recruit for both groups. They are welcome to come out to our practices and talk up Sca, briong loaner gear and let folks try it out, and they have to reciprocate to the "boffer" groups.
The issue is we have the exact opposite problem here, as in everyone here is interested primarily in Amtgard, with little draw for anything "heavier" or "stricter" (Bel/Dag/SCA/etc). Most ppl don't even want to wear the barest min. garb or convert their weapons past funoodle and golf club shafts.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby tvetree » Sun May 03, 2009 10:13 am

Brenna Haldana wrote:Our approach with our Scadian friends is an attempt to cross-recruit for both groups. They are welcome to come out to our practices and talk up Sca, briong loaner gear and let folks try it out, and they have to reciprocate to the "boffer" groups.
The issue is we have the exact opposite problem here, as in everyone here is interested primarily in Amtgard, with little draw for anything "heavier" or "stricter" (Bel/Dag/SCA/etc). Most ppl don't even want to wear the barest min. garb or convert their weapons past funoodle and golf club shafts.

This is where I 'm at also,finding new people is hard.Finding new people who stay is even harder.

I can't see where being a sca squire would stop someone from doing a bel practice.For most people it is a matter of time and then money.Bel is much more beginer freindly.
SCA doesn't really have anymore pull than Bel / Dag/paintball ect...
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun May 03, 2009 11:17 am

Magpie wrote:SCA is so much more out in the open when it comes to recruitment! About half the people I ask to come try Belegarth tell me that they're already squires for SCA. I wouldn't have such a problem with this if it weren't for the enormous air of superiority they put on when they say it.

For what it's worth, there are quite a few within the SCA that are put off by that air of superiority that some squires have too. Many of those who object strongest are knights. :)
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby HesinRaca » Sun May 03, 2009 12:15 pm

I second MacFinn, the big problem is that the ones that are willing to wander around town finding other fighting groups are the outgoing ones, and 4/5 times they happen to be the ego-trippers too. I wouldn't judge sca fighters by the ones that end up at your practice. Reguardless, even if they are showing up with an ego, if you don't go to their practices at all, then what message are you sending them?

warwell wrote:If someone is new to SCA, you can tell them that Bel is cheaper.

This is a fairly well misquoted fact. What makes you think it's more expensive? There are groups everywhere, and in fact it's nearly standard practice in most baronys, to have loaner gear, so you don't have to buy anything to fight.

You have to have period stuff you say? Well ****, there is always a non-period camp, so the only thing that has to be your drinking vessel and your clothes. wooden cup at good will or a ceramic mug. Done. Clothes? keep your eyes open. Belegarth has garb requirements too, but goodwill passes so it's seen as "cheaper". A lot of stuff bought at goodwill would pass in sca, and I don't have an article of garb for sca that cost me more then a 2-5$ anyways because Joan's Fabric has sales every month. Wait til closeouts, discount racks, and holidays. I ahve a rubbermade tub full of fabric because I'd buy 4 yards of something for 2 bucks a hard, use one yard for a tunic, and save the rest. You could make a separate outfit for each day of the weekend for less then 20$, and I know tons of Bele fighters don't even have more then one outfit.

So armour can be free if you aren't an * to the people with the big bag of gear. CLothing is cheap if you try a little. What other money related excuse is there?
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby tvetree » Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm

HesinRaca wrote:I second MacFinn, the big problem is that the ones that are willing to wander around town finding other fighting groups are the outgoing ones, and 4/5 times they happen to be the ego-trippers too. I wouldn't judge sca fighters by the ones that end up at your practice. Reguardless, even if they are showing up with an ego, if you don't go to their practices at all, then what message are you sending them?

warwell wrote:If someone is new to SCA, you can tell them that Bel is cheaper.

This is a fairly well misquoted fact. What makes you think it's more expensive? There are groups everywhere, and in fact it's nearly standard practice in most baronys, to have loaner gear, so you don't have to buy anything to fight.

So armour can be free if you aren't an * to the people with the big bag of gear. CLothing is cheap if you try a little. What other money related excuse is there?

True,but even if your local group(sca) has a good bit of loaner gear and your lucky enough to fit it.The effort and cost to try is still cheaper at bel.

SCA=So you think you'd like to try this cool,here try this on,nope to big this one to small,Hey Thomas lend this guy your Helm Ok but I've sweatted init for the last 1 1/2 hour.After helm is fitted "oh you'l need a cup"(not a drinking vessal)Hey Thomas,list goes on...
ok.

Bel pratice=so you think you'd like try this,here take this single blue go over there and spar with the other thomas for a bit.
great now that you got an Ideal ,how's bout joining the feild.Great.

Once either group get to this point it can become as expense as the person can be or can not be.The most $ in SCA is the helm right place right time that can be had for under 100$ after that most can be done at little to no cost.

In bel you can fight with little to no 1 on 1 training and be let loose.SCA needs you to auth so that you can play at anything other than a practice.Add to that most area's have had to move to a pay to play auth meaning you need to be a member of the SCA to be authed.Granted it is not much but at first it can seam like a lot for something that you may not like.

We here all know we like this,walkbys where most newbeis come from are not as sure as we are.

I'm not taking sides here I love the SCA and the time I've got to spend with the local bel group has been a blast wish I could show up more often.Good times either way.
But facts are facts starting in Bel is easier and cheaper.

Key word is starting
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby HesinRaca » Sun May 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Agreed. It is definitly a much bumpier introduction for sure. Granted, you can build a complete kit for 150$. I know for a fact some of the guys over here spend a hell of a lot more then that on **** beer;)

Reguardless, it is a bit more expensive, but really, not that bad. Everyone just makes it out to be some sort of 6 paycheck deposit.

Back on topic though, your best bet to "combat the sca" is to take advantage of these facts that tvetree pointed out. Remind them that the startup cost is 5$ at goodwill and a blue sword. if not just borrowing gear. Remind them that it's easier to get started and that it will help them with speed. A lot of SCAdian fighters will be game to build speed. Also, if all else fails, take advantage of their egos and challenge them to get good in Bele and go to some events.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Cib » Sun May 03, 2009 8:04 pm

I haven't read everything said, just browsed the last bit, so sorry if this had already been said :)

I am ALWAY looking for other medieval/fighting groups in our aria. I am minority involved a group called the AES which is pretty cool, I have attended a evening practice and we have good reputation with them. One of their guys comes out from time to time for extra practice.

I am hoping to start dabbling in the SCA sometime soon (when I have saved up a bit of cash) and have talked armor with some of our local guys. And, yes I got the air of superiority coming of as well, but that is ok. If I was swinging with sticks and all I knew of boffers was the classic "Lightning Bolt!" clip clip, I would have hard time not acting the same way myself!

When I come across SCA folks I like to say "I fight with the BMCS" rather then "Belegarth". I have a theory that it might help to relate. :)

In general, I try to have my thumb in all the medieval groups around (I love medial stuff its not hard) and refer people to them if I think it makes sense (and tell them to let them know I sent them).

Cross gaming doesn't only have to happen with Dag and Amt.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby HesinRaca » Sun May 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Exactly. Crossing into the SCA gives you tolerance for harder contact and motivates you to hit harder. Crossing into Bele gives you speed, agility, and a greater mindset towards creative fighting and more energetic fighting maneuvers. I know a few good SCA fighters that spar with some Bele swords to build build reaction time.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Eris » Mon May 04, 2009 8:04 am

Hesin, how the hell do you get a whole tunic from one yard?!?!?!

Seriously. PM me or something. I'd really like to know. I've got many many many 1 yard scraps...
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 am

^^^ I 2nd that....All my tunics take at least 2 yds, and that's using every little bit.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby HesinRaca » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

Haha, ok, probably a little under 2 yards would be average. I've made some tighter ones as under-tunics that didn't take much at all. I wasn't being specific, my bad. I do tend to make my sleeves by combining all the odd little scraps or subdividing them into smaller pieces to make the fabric use more efficient sometimes. It's probably period, hahaha. Still, at 2$ a yard, that's less then 5$ counting thread.

There's actualy a Joan's fabric in Lincoln City, OR that has a discount table that has, consistently, blown my mind. I don't know if they just sell stuff for cheap because they don't care or what but I've gotten heavy fabrics for 2-3$.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Eris » Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 am

Oh. Don't DO THAT to me... Jeez... Now I gotta get my heartrate back down and everything... :P
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I can squeeze full-sized tunics out of 2 yd of 60 with plenty left for a facing and other bits left for piecing later, but anything less is a little silly.

Our Jo-Ann's up here in CT is way over-priced. Affordable Fabrics (Rocky Hill) FTW! Everything is $2/yd!

Love the SCA and they will love you back.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby HesinRaca » Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Everything is 2$ a yard? The cost to ship it to us in oregon would still be less then some places.... Arrakis... you know you want to send me wool...
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Arrakis » Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Lulz, HesinRaca, if I EVER find wool there, I'll let you know... mostly it's good for some colors of cotton, cheap 65/35 Cotton/Poly blends, and the occasional find, like the canvas-weight cotton twill I found there the other day. Most of the fabric in the joint is either completely useless 100% Nylon/Poly/Spandex crap or Super tacky upholstery fabric (though I did find some nice navy and pine brocade upholstery fabric to use when I build my coat of plates for my SCA kit...).
Arrakis

Postby HesinRaca » Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 pm

Upon observance of wool for sale under 10$ a yard, purchase all bolts available and contact me for shipping instructions and cash exchange. Thank you.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Thestlring » Thu May 07, 2009 12:28 am

I haven't made any Bel events yet, let alone met anyone in Bel locally yet, but I can already tell that people are a bit more open and friendly then the majority of those I met in the SCA, and I spent 5 years in our local group.
The problems with the SCA that I found were both political and religious. The political problems were that people played at Kingdom level once they reached a certain point, instead of continuing to support their local groups. Some of those people were still helpful to a point, but it turned into a collection of "super egos" after a while, and you got tired of the nit picking about garb and armor.
The religion problem was one that I had never experienced before, and took my by complete surprise, but basically anyone that had Christian beliefs was not allowed to practice their religion without it turning into a huge fight, but Pagans could do whatever they wanted and no one could argue. Basically got fed up with it, stopped attending and eventually moved to Washington. When the medival bug bit again, I chose not to look into the SCA, even though I have had contact with them, because the political problems are still there and possibly worse here, and went looking for something that had some fantasy thrown in since I thought it would make things less complicated in the ways that I wanted to stay away from.
Thestlring of the Jhirad Goshien Shae'en M'taal
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Short spear, long knife, Buckler and Horn Bow; The Aiel way

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 am

Sorry to be even further off topic, but AAAAHH!!! YOUR NAME IS MAGPIE!!!!!!!!!!

Huh. I guess I did add "of Rhun" to mine to show that it was okay for people to have the same name if they differentiate by saying where they are from or having a second name. I never knew of anyone else with the same name, though, then.

So just so you know -- I exist, and my name is out there. Hopefully we live far enough away that it won't matter.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Eris » Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 am

I've heard the political stuff about the SCA, but not the religion aspects... Even as a crazy heathen pagan, that would * me off... A lot... >:(

Come on out and fight with us. We promise not to discriminate! We are equal-opportunity mockers.

Oh, and I think Bhakdar is still in Oregon. Awesome guy, great fighter, and has run the persona gamut from Elf to Monster.

Oh, Arrakis! Don't knock all the spandex-y stuff at that place. Some of the swimwear fabrics can be made into tunics that work like underarmor, but look a little more period. Sort of going back to Oisin's thread on "historical accuracy". It makes for a happy medium.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Orkin » Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 am

In the final analysis, people go to large groups like the SCA for the socializing. That's a hard challenge to overcome.
Orkin
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: none yet
Favorite Fighting Styles: Longsword, spear and shield

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 am

Don't worry Magpie of Rhun....the other Magpie is here in Montana and she's a chick...don't think there will be a lot of confusion there. :goblin:

And SCA for socializing....the don't call it the Society for Creative Adultery around here for nothing. :devil:
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

Wow, religious pressure, as in actual real discrimination? I have never heard or seen this before and I've got SCAdians all across the US and a few friends in Australia. Are you sure this wasn't a specified local? I definitely don't approve of that, very disappointing.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Judas » Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

Thestlring wrote:...but basically anyone that had Christian beliefs was not allowed to practice their religion without it turning into a huge fight...

Go to the Armour Archive politics forum and you will find all the Christian right-wingers you can handle.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu May 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I am just curious why anyone would go to an SCA event to practice religion...that just does not make sense to me. I would be going to have fun and fight and socialize, not preach and pray, just my honest opinion on the subject.

I believe that religion is a personal issue and should not be forced or flaunted in front of others, again just my opinion.

Also, Magpie of Stygia...I don't know who you are talking to, but they suer don't have more then like 5 guys ever at the SCA practice in the park...I am wondering who all those prospects are. And yes, it's totally true, the SCAdians in our part of the country think we are pussies cause we use foam weapons and don't fight in heavy armor. They feel that they are more historically accurate...bah! plastic armor is hardly period, and that they are just better fighters cause they are in the SCA and we are ~just~ boffers.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:I am just curious why anyone would go to an SCA event to practice religion...that just does not make sense to me. I would be going to have fun and fight and socialize, not preach and pray, just my honest opinion on the subject.

I believe that religion is a personal issue and should not be forced or flaunted in front of others, again just my opinion.

Well, the big thing about the SCA is that being in a place where people are dressing up "funny" and talking weird, a lot of other taboo subjects are allowed to come to the surface. Thus, and mind you this all depends on the circle you are visiting, you have less worry of oppression (though I guess that isn't entirely true now). This results in anything from more openly poly amorous activities, to very public and relaxed openness with the Pagan religions. I'm Pagan of sorts, so I like that I don't have to worry about which church I will be offending (not that I do worry much), and the fact that few if anyone will be measuring you by your active-status in a church. Problem is for some reason the pagan groups are fairly dominant in the SCA, maybe because they have this freedom of expression, so I can see how this might degrade into what is being suggested by Thestlring, with any given collection of *. Still not right, and definitely not ok in that setting.

Ironically, after Constantine made Christian the religion of the Empire, I think the oppression switched fairly rapidly... oye.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Thestlring » Thu May 07, 2009 2:07 pm

I can't honestly remember anymore about how high up it went, but I know that the religious problems started with the arrival of a new Seneschal for the Shire, and got so bad that even a Former Landed Baron/at that time Court Baron, left the SCA at anything but a minimal level of contact. The group lost over half of the participating fighters, and with the members I still have contact with, they tell me the shire has never recovered because the surviving membership are the Pagans who were causing the majority of the problems.
Now, with this said, I can remember one incident in particular that caused all the problems to start, which was a groupd of us Christian fighters getting together, away from everyone else, kneeling and praying, before going into a melee at a group war. Thats it, no preaching to others, no trying to convert the "non-believers", nothing like that, just trying to pray before a fight. We got addressed by our seneschal and several others about religious persecution and were told that the SCA was not a place for us to practice our religion, and not to do it anymore. Of course, that night they were running naked around a revel fire in observance of their own religion, and anyone who said anything against it was pushed away/out of the shire.

I don't care what someone's religion is, I served as a soldier because I wanted to defend these beliefs as protected by our Constitution, and have many friends that have different beliefs then myself, but this was just one of those things that I could not let pass, and chose not to be exposed to anything like it again, so I got out of the SCA and won't go back, that is why I am looking to Bel for the style of combat I used to enjoy, now that I am getting the itch for it again. I don't go to anything outside of a church to practice my religion and don't push my beliefs on anyone, so I don't expect others to do that to me, simple as that.
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Short spear, long knife, Buckler and Horn Bow; The Aiel way

Postby Arrakis » Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 pm

I've never even encountered a SCAdian who wanted to talk about their own religion, let alone what they don't like about someone else's.

Sounds like a case of a few dumb **** causing grief for a bunch of others.
Arrakis

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Yeah, that is **** up, and if I were there I'd have probably given them an earful and joined your prayer circle. I call myself pagan, but ****, I have a legal ministers license with the temple of the jedi order(sad but true, mostly did it for the philosophical debate, but if you need to get married I've got the license...haha) and my entire family is catholic, and I circle with a wiccan group. In my opinion it's not about what you believe specifically but how you go about it, what it does to improve your person, where it gets you in this life(not monetarily/power), and where it gets you in the next. If you can't recognize comradeship in people not your own belief system, then you've only closed your mind off to the teachings of at least 70% of the religions out there that preach spiritual growth over *. So, i say, **** those guys. Check out the sca up there in washington(I'll be moving there in a year or two) and give it another wack, if they do the same thing I'd fully support you not returning to SCA events. Good luck.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Eris » Thu May 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah, what he said.

Plus a few kicks to the kneecaps for the idiots.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Thu May 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Eris wrote:Yeah, what he said.

Plus a few kicks to the kneecaps for the idiots.

Buttspike cup shots. Mmmm-mmm.
Arrakis

Postby Thestlring » Thu May 07, 2009 3:39 pm

HesinRaca wrote:Yeah, that is **** up, and if I were there I'd have probably given them an earful and joined your prayer circle. I call myself pagan, but ****, I have a legal ministers license with the temple of the jedi order(sad but true, mostly did it for the philosophical debate, but if you need to get married I've got the license...haha) and my entire family is catholic, and I circle with a wiccan group. In my opinion it's not about what you believe specifically but how you go about it, what it does to improve your person, where it gets you in this life(not monetarily/power), and where it gets you in the next. If you can't recognize comradeship in people not your own belief system, then you've only closed your mind off to the teachings of at least 70% of the religions out there that preach spiritual growth over *. So, i say, **** those guys. Check out the sca up there in washington(I'll be moving there in a year or two) and give it another wack, if they do the same thing I'd fully support you not returning to SCA events. Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate the support, but the SCA in this area is a political turmoil that I would rather avoid, not to mention a former business partner who screwed me over is in it, so I stay away from the potential headaches at both ends.
My core belief is that everyone needs to have faith in something greater than themselves. It doesn't matter if it be Jedi, Christ or a 30' frog guarding the gates of hell (yep, even encountered that one, real hard to understand but worked for him), if they don't have faith in something, to hold them accountable for their actions, then they lose hope, and that is one of the worst fates anyone can face.
A Jedi wedding, that would just be kind of cool, but since my wife is Catholic (and my wife already), I think she wouldn't understand, but cool none the less.
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Thestlring wrote:A Jedi wedding, that would just be kind of cool, but since my wife is Catholic (and my wife already), I think she wouldn't understand, but cool none the less.

Ok, so, take this with a grain of salt because I take the entire temple with a huge grain of salt, but because the Jedi is modeled after so many religions, they don't discriminate. A Jedi minister is a legal minister and I could do any sort of service so long as it fit the customs of the religion specified. Granted, catholics prefer catholic priests and you're already married so it's a moot point. The fact that so many different beliefs come together to discuss philosophy and religion is the only reason I still go back to the Temple, because there are of course the super-nerds that think they are movie-jedi... haha
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Magpie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Magpie of Stygia...I don't know who you are talking to, but they sure don't have more then like 5 guys ever at the SCA practice in the park...I am wondering who all those prospects are. They feel that they are more historically accurate...bah! plastic armor is hardly period, and that they are just better fighters cause they are in the SCA and we are ~just~ boffers.

There's a much larger practice downtown in Caras Park - I don't know which days, but my ex-boyfriend used to go to them - that I'm pretty sure most of my SCA friends go to.

Makes me want to punch them when they do that sort of sniffly thing when you suggest that they go 'boffing' rather than do the exact same thing, just in heavy sweaty armor with big noisy swords. I know for a fact I could run circles around any SCAdian.

Magpie
Recruit
Recruit

Single-Blue

Postby Thestlring » Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 pm

HesinRaca wrote:Ok, so, take this with a grain of salt because I take the entire temple with a huge grain of salt, but because the Jedi is modeled after so many religions, they don't discriminate. A Jedi minister is a legal minister and I could do any sort of service so long as it fit the customs of the religion specified. Granted, catholics prefer catholic priests and you're already married so it's a moot point. The fact that so many different beliefs come together to discuss philosophy and religion is the only reason I still go back to the Temple, because there are of course the super-nerds that think they are movie-jedi... haha

Thats kind of cool, and a refreshing change from the normal political awkwardness associated with religious discussions!
You mean there are real people that think they are Jedi from the movies? I bet that is strange, especially with some of the funny stuff that must pop up from time to time (*waves hand in front of other persons face*-"it's your turn to pay for the pizza"), hehe.
A friend of mine is in the Nuke School for US Navy Submariners, says that Jedi is the only religion to be banned from observances at that school, due to some of the antics that followers got up to. Didn't get a lot of descriptions, but the one thing he said that always made me laugh is "when you have an entire school of people who have the average IQ of 180 or so, you cannot let them get too bored when ateaching advanced electrical engineering", LOL!
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Thestlring wrote:
HesinRaca wrote:Ok, so, take this with a grain of salt because I take the entire temple with a huge grain of salt, but because the Jedi is modeled after so many religions, they don't discriminate. A Jedi minister is a legal minister and I could do any sort of service so long as it fit the customs of the religion specified. Granted, catholics prefer catholic priests and you're already married so it's a moot point. The fact that so many different beliefs come together to discuss philosophy and religion is the only reason I still go back to the Temple, because there are of course the super-nerds that think they are movie-jedi... haha

Thats kind of cool, and a refreshing change from the normal political awkwardness associated with religious discussions!
You mean there are real people that think they are Jedi from the movies? I bet that is strange, especially with some of the funny stuff that must pop up from time to time (*waves hand in front of other persons face*-"it's your turn to pay for the pizza"), hehe.
A friend of mine is in the Nuke School for US Navy Submariners, says that Jedi is the only religion to be banned from observances at that school, due to some of the antics that followers got up to. Didn't get a lot of descriptions, but the one thing he said that always made me laugh is "when you have an entire school of people who have the average IQ of 180 or so, you cannot let them get too bored when ateaching advanced electrical engineering", LOL!

Hah, yeah, you won't get awkward conversation out of me. Most of the time. It's interesting enough to read if you're bored, www.templeofthejediorder.org . They were discussing the force alignment of Obama a few weeks ago, hahaha.

And no go on the crazies in the subs with jedi powers. that's not safe. Not safe....
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Judas » Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 am

Magpie wrote:I know for a fact I could run circles around any SCAdian.
Have you ever fought in a full suit of armour? It ani’t easy.
I’m not justifying snobbery; I’m just saying fighting in a full harness with heavy weapons is a lot different than foam fighitng. Before you say ANY SCAdian consider that you are talking about an organization with 10s of thousands of members, some of which are truly scary people.
Last edited by Judas on Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby HesinRaca » Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 am

Point and case:
Friend of mine from Arizona. He is a huge big guy, and he is fast as hell. I've watched videos of him and it frightens me...
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Arrakis » Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah... Some SCAdians are complete pwnstars.

I'd hazard a guess that the peak fighters in the SCA are slightly higher in skill and ability than those in Amtgard, who, from what I've heard/seen, are ever so slightly higher up the ladder from Bel's peak fighters (who are higher than Dag's, etc.).

I've no doubt Magpie could literally run circles around most Dukes, but I doubt highly that she could outfight most.
Arrakis

Postby Magpie » Fri May 08, 2009 11:22 am

Arrakis wrote:I've no doubt Magpie could literally run circles around most Dukes, but I doubt highly that she could outfight most.

I will very humbly not deny the truth in that statement.

In the circumstance that running circles around a heavily armored combatant does not work, running away is preferable.

Magpie
Recruit
Recruit

Single-Blue

Postby Arrakis » Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Magpie wrote:In the circumstance that running circles around a heavily armored combatant does not work, running away is preferable.

QFT!
Arrakis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri May 08, 2009 3:57 pm

An older-than-me fighter once stuck out his glaive, pointed to the tip and said, "They can run around all they want, but as long as they are more than that far away, I'm invulnerable."

:)
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Thestlring » Fri May 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Yep, I am not exactly slow (or wasn't at this time), but my first authorization was against a friend who happened to be the Earl Knight Marshall of our kingdom (and had won Crown Tourney 5 times), who was so fast that he was able to hit me with a great sword before I could bring a shield or my own sword to block it, dislocating my shoulder and shoulder blade in one hit! Put me out of fighting for 2 years, hence the need to authorize a second time, against him again, which I was able to pass without further injury.
Sparing with him was my greatest challenge, since he out weighted me by 50 pounds and was a few inches taller (greater reach), not to mention much more experienced and amazingly fast! He hit me with a 4' hewing axe once, side of the helm and so hard it threw me about 5 feet and creased my helm, turned it sideways and caused my eyes to black over! I was laughing, but WOW, it takes a lot to do that, and I couldn't get anything in the way to block it in time.
Some SCAdians are just amazing fighters, which is one reason I would rather be hit with FOAM then Rataan, LOL!!
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Eris » Mon May 11, 2009 11:15 am

Wow... Just... Wow...

Foam fighting FTW. Fighting is fun. Serious injuries are not. Again, welcome to Belegarth. We don't dislocate multiple joints with one swing! <shudder> Not cool.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby tvetree » Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Thestlring wrote:
He hit me with a 4' hewing axe once, side of the helm and so hard it threw me about 5 feet and creased my helm, turned it sideways and caused my eyes to black over! I was laughing, but WOW, it takes a lot to do that, and I couldn't get anything in the way to block it in time.
Some SCAdians are just amazing fighters, which is one reason I would rather be hit with FOAM then Rataan, LOL!!

I've been fighting SCA from 1988ish. I have never seen a shot as such.
I have been knocked down by polearms/greatswords but never really moved(not counting pushing).
I have had/seen broken bones.But it is rare and mostly due to armour failing or not fitting right which is kinda the same thing.

As far as helmet creases yeah...Got my share...it makes for a lot of fun. :angel:
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby D-9-13 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:52 am

Magpie wrote:SCA is so much more out in the open when it comes to recruitment! About half the people I ask to come try Belegarth tell me that they're already squires for SCA. I wouldn't have such a problem with this if it weren't for the enormous air of superiority they put on when they say it.

I don't know about you, but Belegarth has always struck me as cheaper, friendlier, and more drama-free than SCA.

Amen Magpie, amen!
Im brand spanking new but I REALLY tried SCa too, not some casual dabbling...paid my full dues, purchased an entire kit, subscriptions, events, etc, went to every practice, soaked up every lesson...a couple times out west and a couple where I am now so I thought I would throw my two cents in...I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, I am REALLY excited about Bel, so I REALLY don't want to * anyone off, but I may be a perfect example of what works with regards to recruiting for Belegarth.

The persona, history, garb, and armor that I found being used in certain areas was directly related to the general "feeling" and interpretation of history and even of the SCA in general for that area..in other words, if you lived in an area where everyone was 14th Century Mafia, you'd better be too, especially if you were new. and if you didn't want to do that persona, or period, or style, or whatever, it started you out on the wrong foot sorta speak.
Everytime I would show up for practice, having fixed what I was told was "wrong" with my kit the last time so I could fight, they would find something new. "You will want to fix this." This isn't legal this week," "This better change." After a while I was just burnt out from trying to please everyone...
There were TONS of rules! Constant focus on what you couldn't do, not what you could.

When I saw my local Bel group and I saw people fighting without shoes, without shirts, without helms, with all three, with shields, without, rocks, arrows, etc...it looked totally FREE! It looked like an organization that was totally inspiring creativity and fitness and fun, as opposed to an air of superiority or snobbish servitude "just so you could climb the chivalric ranks" or loads of rules weighed down by constant varying geographical interpretation. I got the impression Bel was what the SCA should be. I can totally see the armour rules, I just hope that sense of freedom and personal choice for historical and/or fantasy interpretation doesn't go away, I know as a new recruit, that was totally what drew me in. It looked fun, and Bel people were way way approachable...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby HesinRaca » Wed May 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Again, the big issue here is that the SCA is already international. It's a registered corperation because they got so big they had to find a way to handle inurance for such a huge group. I can tell you now that the sca isn't like that on a whole, just the same way that Belegarth western fighters are apparently more chill and less serious then eastern fighters. BUt when you get that big, you ahve to do insurance and thus you have to make rules. It sucks, that is true. Unfortunately how Belegarth is now is very similiar to how the SCA was in the beginning.

And yes, on average Bel people are more approachable. I think it's because Belegarth is a more social driven, medieval-inspired sport in that it's about getting together with a bunch of people to have fun and promote belegarth and play the game. there is a strong drive to get people involved. The sca has that drive, but since most members are doing it more as an Escapist retreat that encompasses camping, clothing, arts and science, and a more "lifestyle" theme for the weekend, and less as a sport (heavy fighting isn't the center of the SCA, contrary to what the heavy fighters might say), there is less motivation to get you involved because it's assumed that you're there to escape too and if you really want to you will get involved.

Sort of like professional soccer verses college coed rec-sports. On one hand you have people working really ahrd to get really good at this activity, living the life, doing the training and the work outs and wearing the jerseys and having a coach, and on the other you have a bunch of people showing up in the same palce to have a kick * time playing a game they all love. For that reason, Belegarth will always be different from SCA, despite all the crossover themes.

The sca is like the movie gladiator, all "serious" and heirchy and work, and belegarth is like a knights tale, where peasants can become knights because they want to and the fans sing queen songs. Ok, well... not really, but that comparison made a little more sense in my head.

Cälde'r wrote:

I don't know about you, but Belegarth has always struck me as cheaper, friendlier, and more drama-free than SCA.

Amen Magpie, amen!
Im brand spanking new but I REALLY tried SCa too, not some casual dabbling...paid my full dues, purchased an entire kit, subscriptions, events, etc, went to every practice, soaked up every lesson...a couple times out west and a couple where I am now so I thought I would throw my two cents in...I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, I am REALLY excited about Bel, so I REALLY don't want to * anyone off, but I may be a perfect example of what works with regards to recruiting for Belegarth.

The persona, history, garb, and armor that I found being used in certain areas was directly related to the general "feeling" and interpretation of history and even of the SCA in general for that area..in other words, if you lived in an area where everyone was 14th Century Mafia, you'd better be too, especially if you were new. and if you didn't want to do that persona, or period, or style, or whatever, it started you out on the wrong foot sorta speak.
Everytime I would show up for practice, having fixed what I was told was "wrong" with my kit the last time so I could fight, they would find something new. "You will want to fix this." This isn't legal this week," "This better change." After a while I was just burnt out from trying to please everyone...
There were TONS of rules! Constant focus on what you couldn't do, not what you could.

When I saw my local Bel group and I saw people fighting without shoes, without shirts, without helms, with all three, with shields, without, rocks, arrows, etc...it looked totally FREE! It looked like an organization that was totally inspiring creativity and fitness and fun, as opposed to an air of superiority or snobbish servitude "just so you could climb the chivalric ranks" or loads of rules weighed down by constant varying geographical interpretation. I got the impression Bel was what the SCA should be. I can totally see the armour rules, I just hope that sense of freedom and personal choice for historical and/or fantasy interpretation doesn't go away, I know as a new recruit, that was totally what drew me in. It looked fun, and Bel people were way way approachable...
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby D-9-13 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm

HesinRaca wrote:
The sca is like the movie gladiator, all "serious" and heirchy and work, and belegarth is like a knights tale, where peasants can become knights because they want to and the fans sing queen songs. Ok, well... not really, but that comparison made a little more sense in my head.

LOL...thats an awesome analogy! Maybe it just depends on which film you liked best!...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Next

Return to Recruitment Ideas