Combating SCA

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Combating SCA

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm

'Knight's Tale' had better music!!!!!!
"...... we will, we will ROCK YOU!!!..." :devil:

HesinRaca wrote:The sca is like the movie gladiator, all "serious" and heirchy and work, and belegarth is like a knights tale, where peasants can become knights because they want to and the fans sing queen songs. Ok, well... not really, but that comparison made a little more sense in my head.I don't know about you, but Belegarth has always struck me as cheaper, friendlier, and more drama-free than SCA.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby HesinRaca » Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Cälde'r wrote:
HesinRaca wrote:
The sca is like the movie gladiator, all "serious" and heirchy and work, and belegarth is like a knights tale, where peasants can become knights because they want to and the fans sing queen songs. Ok, well... not really, but that comparison made a little more sense in my head.

LOL...thats an awesome analogy! Maybe it just depends on which film you liked best!...

I like them both, but for different reasons. Same way I go to SCA and Bele events. It really just depends on what you're looking for, but I would argue that neither is better, they just have different base intentions.

And I liked the music in both a lot, though nothing beats fighting to rock and roll;)
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby D-9-13 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 pm

i think the SCa varies a lot by Kingdom. the group I practiced with in Oregon was fantastic, loved every second of it..some places...not so much. Maybe it just varies...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby HesinRaca » Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 pm

It really does. Same reason people get attached to areas in Belegarth. Different people, different intentions, etc. We're dealing with the same issue with mounted archery right now. There are a handfull of archery martials and equine martials that really want to make it work, and there are at least as many people that think its too dangerous or not going to work. You just have to pick through and do your best to not let it get to you. I will say this: sca follows similiar trends to Bele. The western fighters are (generally) super laid back and chill, and the eastern fighters, pensylvania and indiana and even arizona in some places, are very serious about it and take it all very seriously. Just give and take really.

But by all means, if you don't like the SCA group in your area enough that it isn't worth the activities, don't waste your time going anymore then you'd waste it in a **** Belegarth realm.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu May 21, 2009 2:12 am

HesinRaca wrote:It really does. Same reason people get attached to areas in Belegarth. Different people, different intentions, etc. We're dealing with the same issue with mounted archery right now. There are a handfull of archery martials and equine martials that really want to make it work, and there are at least as many people that think its too dangerous or not going to work. You just have to pick through and do your best to not let it get to you. I will say this: sca follows similiar trends to Bele. The western fighters are (generally) super laid back and chill, and the eastern fighters, pensylvania and indiana and even arizona in some places, are very serious about it and take it all very seriously. Just give and take really.

But by all means, if you don't like the SCA group in your area enough that it isn't worth the activities, don't waste your time going anymore then you'd waste it in a **** Belegarth realm.

This statement (east vs west belegarth) has some truth to it, but again it's a broad generalization. There are for sure chill east fighters and there are serious west fighters. Plus, I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Melannen is a great example of a chill serious fighter. He's constantly striving to be better, in other words taking his fighting seriously. But he's also the last person to blow up on the field or get upset, he's just playing a game he wants to be good at.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby HesinRaca » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 am

exactly, Jimmy. And these are the little bits I am learning about Belegarth. I meant that as a super generalization to make a point. Both societies have their ups, downs, *, and nice guys. If you want to play, you just have to learn how it works for that society.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Forkbeard » Sat May 23, 2009 8:57 am

Calder wrote:
When I saw my local Bel group and I saw people fighting without shoes, without shirts, without helms, with all three, with shields, without, rocks, arrows, etc...it looked totally FREE! It looked like an organization that was totally inspiring creativity and fitness and fun, as opposed to an air of superiority or snobbish servitude "just so you could climb the chivalric ranks" or loads of rules weighed down by constant varying geographical interpretation. I got the impression Bel was what the SCA should be. I can totally see the armour rules, I just hope that sense of freedom and personal choice for historical and/or fantasy interpretation doesn't go away, I know as a new recruit, that was totally what drew me in. It looked fun, and Bel people were way way approachable...

Thank you so much, man.
This guy met us at the Ren Fair Last weekend.
I am so happy that you saw Bel the way you did. That is exactly what Bel is all about and what we try to communicate to the people watching. Trust me, it's never going to change.
We run our Realm like a national event all the time. The rules are always the same, we add nothing to them.
It's nice to hear that people are pickin up what you're layin down.
Magpie, just tell the SCA dude's that they can come out and show you how bad * they are. "Of course you're an awesome figher, Sir ****, I'm asking you to come to our practice to show us some of your mighty skills." Then when they come to your practice, show them how cool we are and what we have to offer them.
It also helps to find out which ones party. You then invite them to a BBQ or something and party them down, HARD. Make sure they have a great time. Once you're in with the party crown in any scene, you'r in like Flynn, baby.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Jax25 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Of course I'm a complete newbie to Belegarth and I've never been to SCA - though I have had friends in SCA - I don't have super much to add to the conversation. I did want to say however that we westerners tend to be more laid back and cool in general. 8)
Jax25
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Lord Falkner » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 am

A few comments of my own....

1. this thing has gone so off topic.......(welcome to the internet)....

2. As far as religious matters, I am a Christian, but I have to agree that too many Christians get all high and mighty righteous.... the problem here is that, yes, right is right, and wrong is wrong, BUT, we are supposed to practice forgiveness, and mercy.... not be judgmental.

It is hard to do both sometimes.

I mean, when you see someone doing something morally wrong or offensive,
or using "bad" language, most Christians get offended, and say something stupid out of 'righteous' anger...usually in a harsh offensive tone...

That is so not what Jesus did. he actually went out, and hung out with sinners. he didnt think that every thing they did was right, but he went to show them a different lifestyle, he won them over with kindness and mercy.
Not self-righteous preaching and belittling.

I guess I'm trying to say that most Christians mean well, but dont always think about how they come off. Like the old saying "The road to hell, is paved with good intentions."

....ok! ok! back to topic....

3. I think to many people are too worried about being Bel or sca.... as some of you were saying, I think it is a good idea to do both. I think people have
forgotten that the point of these events is to socialize with other people who enjoy medieval combat. I think it would be more fun if both groups got together for some crossover events.
Lord Falkner*
member of Rath

My Wedsites:
http://www.Alt-TabComic.com

*Please note that the title 'lord' in my username is part of the name I use everywhere, including belegarth. it does not currently reflect any actual status or rank, I just think it sounds cool.... just so you know
Lord Falkner
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2009
Realm: Rath
Unit: Blue Falcons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & shield, Archery, and glaive.

Postby Orazio Valori » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 am

I shouldn't have clicked this topic, much less have skipped to the last post.

I've yet to see a human prove in the existence of an objective inherent morality - that is, something that is not just an abstract existing in the mind of the individual. This includes the principles allegedly set down by any sort of god, as I've yet to see that proven either. Act and feel as you will, however, the core problem with humans in this world is that they strive desperately to apply their personal beliefs to anyone and everyone else. Furthermore, they cling so dearly to those moral beliefs and codes that have already been set in place by society, never realizing the fact that every last bit of it is the result of the imposition of human will - the fabrication of good and evil by the mind.

An individual can define him/herself, needing never accept the criticism of others on moral "grounds". For what reason shall I accept the will of another human, or even a so-called god? What proven obligation have I? Positive and negative consequences are what we are all really after.

Ah well.

Anyway, I totally agree with doing both (Bel and SCA). I've really been tempted to jump into SCA lately.
Orazio Valori
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:00 pm

I can barely afford Belegarth, much less SCA. :D
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company