Club Fair Booklet!

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Club Fair Booklet!

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm

So every beginning of the UCSC school year, wide-eyed and timid freshmen are encouraged in their first week of the year, before classes start, to attend this large club fair at the OPERS field. Here in our realm, we are always looking for new fighters to swell our ranks, and are trying to get a spot at this fair to demonstrate on stage, et cetra.
My idea is to make, using photoshop, drawings, and photographs, about 100 8-page booklet/pamphlets to give out. They would mostly be a beginner's guide to our noble sport, as well as a pictured easy-to-read version of the BoW, (outlining rules, weapon types) that would state our philosophy, and wrap it up in an attractive package.
As a last page, I wanted to put a glossary for frequently used words or phrases that would be heard at a Belegarth practice. I was wondering what words/phrases would be good ones to add, and of course, would love any input I can get.
And of course, when this is done, I'll see what I can do about uploading the pages so anyone can download and print out whatever they want! I will also be sure to give credit where credit is due for help, etc.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Re: Club Fair Booklet!

Postby Saxon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:00 pm

A glossary for me would include:

BMCS - acronym for the organization
Boffing - mundane name sometimes used for our sport
Garb - what we wear
Fighting Name - a name you choose for yourself to go by within our organization
Foam Smithing - the art of making foam weapons and other fighting equipment
Single Blue - a single 1 handed weapon, typically a sword
Sword & Board - a fighting armament comprised of a single blue and a shield
Florentine - a fighting armament comprised of two weapons
Realm - an area-specific group of fighters
Unit - a non area-specific group of fighters

You could get more specific and break it down by category, for example "weapons" as a header, then define blue, green, red, yellow, projectile, pommel, handle, striking surface, stabbing tip, etc, but usually I don't think you want to inundate new people with that much info.

Good luck with the fair=)

Saxon
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Anviling- illegally using a weapon as 'unbreakable armor' by laying it across a target area as a defensive measure.
Graze- called by a fighter if a strike only hit clothing, and is thusly negated.
Rhinohide- a person who habitually fails to call shots, and take damage. Penalties range from the loss of limbs to the expulsion from practice.
Skill-on-a-stick- slang for a nimbly handled flail.
Fishlining- method of single blue fighting in which the lowest part of the grip is held, typically to achieve greater range and hooking.
Flat Bas- tard- a fighter who purposely hits with the flat of a weapon to prolong the humiliation of another fighter's defeat.
Honor Duel- Instance in a large-scale battle in which two fighters agree to only fight one another with the assumption that no other fighters interfere. This is, of course, prime territory for the backstabbing opportunist.
Vulturing/Scavenging- Practice of running around a field weaponless, hoping for a dropped weapon. Occurs if one's weapon is looted before they are revived.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I would guess that a few guys with a friendly attitude practicing in view of the entrance would trump any amount of pamphlets for attracting members interested in fighting instead of just talking about fighting.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:30 am

The thing is, is that were are forced to sit at a table with our gear on display in the midst of about one hundred other clubs. We might get about five minutes on a central stage for a demonstration fight, but beyond that, we have to just sit.
As much as i would love to fight the whole time, I also want to give them something to remember us apart from the other martial arts groups, etc. and have something tangible to hold when they retreat back to their dorm rooms.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Derian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:02 am

I know something we do during our club fairs is to have our table set up inside but also have some guys fighting outside the building, separate from the fair. That way people get exposed to it on their way in.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Chicken » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:42 am

IME, for most people just walking up and having no idea about what we do, less is more. Broad outlines about what we do (Full contact but safe, foam padded, 1-2 hits kill, funny clothes) with lots of good exciting pictures with people in good garb, practice times, contact info, and links for more info.

An 8 page booklet with glossary, etc. would be something that might be more helpful for someone who's actually started fighting and is definitely hooked, just doesn't know anything yet. If someone's not at all sure they want to get hit, or be a nerd, or whatever, you first need to just sell/explain the concept as a whole without getting into all the details.

Also, have some weapons & shields at the table and as Derian said, have an actual demo going on somewhere nearby. Worst case, even if they can't see it as they come in, if you can tell interested people "Go to the hill down the block and people are fighting right now and can show you how" it'll help.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Saxon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Sieglatan wrote:Anviling- illegally using a weapon as 'unbreakable armor' by laying it across a target area as a defensive measure.
Graze- called by a fighter if a strike only hit clothing, and is thusly negated.
Rhinohide- a person who habitually fails to call shots, and take damage. Penalties range from the loss of limbs to the expulsion from practice.
Skill-on-a-stick- slang for a nimbly handled flail.
Fishlining- method of single blue fighting in which the lowest part of the grip is held, typically to achieve greater range and hooking.
Flat Bas- tard- a fighter who purposely hits with the flat of a weapon to prolong the humiliation of another fighter's defeat.
Honor Duel- Instance in a large-scale battle in which two fighters agree to only fight one another with the assumption that no other fighters interfere. This is, of course, prime territory for the backstabbing opportunist.
Vulturing/Scavenging- Practice of running around a field weaponless, hoping for a dropped weapon. Occurs if one's weapon is looted before they are revived.

This stuff is all true, but a lot of it highlights negative aspects of our sport, and having just freshly viewed that video stickied in this forum, thats not something you necessarily want to point out to new comers. Just a thought.
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Ah! All really good suggestions and ideas! I am glad I came here before starting drafting the final booklet!
I still may do one, but I will put more of an emphasis on fighting at the actual fair as much as possible! Thank you all!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Postby Isk » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I second the focus on the positive comments and the keep it simple. Also, you might consider putting out a laptop running a playlist of videos showing what we do.

This thread has a brochure that may be helpful in doing what you want:
viewtopic.php?p=413393#p413393

If you like it, let me know which version you want and I'll get you the files. I was waiting for a little more feedback before I put it up in a final, editable version.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 pm

You should get one of the guys at your table that's made his own armor and have him talk up the club that chicks dig guys with skills. Like Leatherworking Skills, Quarterstaff Skills...Spear Skills...

Also what got me into the sport (my first practice was last saturday) was that it would get me into shape, the garb looks awesome, and the people where really welcoming. I like that its full contact as well, but not harming.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 am

If you want a booklet with a lot of technical information, how about just printing a copy of the rules? I imagine knowing the actual rules would help people more than knowing Rule 3.7.3 is commonly called "anvilling".
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:05 am

Speaking of anvilling, would printing an anvil on my tabard be considered "anvilling"?
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Chicken » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 am

Only if you don't take hits to it.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Sieglatan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Speaking of anvilling, would printing an anvil on my tabard be considered "anvilling"?

lol

There! I just officially registered for the event-
http://www.ucscrecreation.com/?link_id=69
Again, thanks a lot for the input everyone! I think now I may rededicate my personal time and resources towards putting an eye-catching realm banner into existence. I hand-drew the cover for the buckler pictured in my signature, so I think I can pull off something suitably dramatic to further emboss our presence from the sea of extreme frisbee and twilight fan clubs *shudder*
I might be able to wrangle a 5 minute spot reserved for physical club demonstrations, and was wondering if there were any scenario battles that could involve 3-4 fighters that would put on a good show?
EDIT- would there be any problems with me referring to the Belegarth.com or Geddon.org websites?
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Return to Recruitment Ideas