Need of ideas for recruiting

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Need of ideas for recruiting

Postby arbiter sc0rp10 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 pm

hey guys ... im 3rd in command of a small realm down in san diego ... the problem is we have only 6-7 regulars and we want to get ready for upcoming events in andor and anduril ( if they decide to have them) but the fliers we give and the people we tell arent working it would be helpful if someone can give me some insight on some ideas ... ( by the way we are in high school ) our realm name is Black water we are only 4-5 miles from Andor and everyone is invited if they please our days are WED, and THURS at Chula Vista High School from 3:00 - 5 or 6:00PM
MOO!! Ima Zumbie!!!! MILK!
arbiter sc0rp10
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 May 2008
Realm: Andor
Unit: Blackwater Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive/dagger
Sword/Shiels

Re: Need of ideas for recruiting

Postby Killian of Andor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am

Somewhat off topic, but come to Andor practices. We could use the extra people and would love to fight with you guys.

Also, both Andor and Anduril's events are scheduled to happen.

Anduril's is on January 9th from 10 to 10 at Aldrich Park on the Main Campus, of UC Irvine.
Event link: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=32429

Andor's is going to be roughly two months after that at our regular location on Morley Field.
Last edited by Killian of Andor on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killian of Andor
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby kree » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 am

if you dont want to fight with andor, i suggest getting garbed up and looking good, and fighting at a public place, like a park

and be very friendly and informative
The Shnitzel
Squire to Sir Dameon

kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Cade » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 am

kree wrote:if you dont want to fight with andor, i suggest getting garbed up and looking good, and fighting at a public place, like a park

and be very friendly and informative

Yea, the less you look like a bunch of highschool stoner kids fooling around the better. Make some really sharp garb, get some nice weapons, none of this sock covered short sword junk. Train a few people in spears/glaives. big thing is that they are visible from the road and people associate them with jousting which they do know about.

Handing out fliers is all well and good, but that targets the wrong demographic. Most people couldn't care less. Target the nerd groups. Gamers, Goths, Social Outcasts, History Clubs, Chess Clubs, Table Top Game Clubs, D&D groups. Most of these groups don't advertise their existence so you need to go to where they hang out. Comic book stores, table top supply stores in the malls.

You will be surprised at how handing a nerd a sword and shield will straighten his spine and put a fire in his eye. Appeal to the people looking for some place to belong. Also bill it differently depending on who you are talking to. If your talking to the table top guys, bill it as more RP, history nerds, bill it as historical reenactment. If your pitching it to someone who thinks he is cool, bill it as a Medieval fight club.

It's all about marketing.

Once you have a few noobs, kick their * sure, but make sure you constantly give them feedback and tell them what they are doing right and wrong. Tell them how to beat you. Don't wait for them to come up to you and ask for tips. You want new people, you instantly put yourself in the role of teacher. The quickest way to drive new people away is to completely face roll them every time they show up and hope they pick up on what they are doing wrong. My first day i almost left because my first fighting experience was a half dozen FFAs back to back. I was irritated and very dissolusioned till i saw some team tactics. I refer to FFA battles as epeen battles to this day because it is a waste of time and the only thing it does it let the vets get some easy kills. It doesn't teach anyone anything unless the vet sits down and teaches the guy he just rolled how to do better next time.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm

If you're within five miles of another Realm, why aren't you fighting with them at every single practice they hold and inviting them to yours on their off-days?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Killian of Andor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Arrakis wrote:If you're within five miles of another Realm, why aren't you fighting with them at every single practice they hold and inviting them to yours on their off-days?

Pretty much what I was getting at.
Killian of Andor
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Also, Anduril will be holding a Werewolf Treasure Hunt Battle October 4th Sunday, under the full moon, starting at 7PM-10PM. We will meet at the student center. This is a fun game with a great theme. Great for new people. We usually get around 30-60 people for this. It's lighter on combat, but has people jumping out to get you from bushes and it really gets the adrenaline going.

Andor and Black Water, consider yourselves invited to our game, PM for more info and my cell phone #.

Also, Let's build up the west: We have several new LARP/Combat groups to report on. Although, they are not Bel realms, they are similay enough to us that we can invite them to our events, demonstrate our great ways and customs (and maybe make a few converts). If Andor or Black Water decides to host an event, get the info to me in advance, and I will spread this information to these new groups.

-AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 am

Your within 5 miles of another realm... why are you... another realm?
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:04 am

Chula Vista HS, eh?
I began my fighting career in the SCA lights in 2002 at La Costa Canyon, up at Encinitas. I have a lot of old friends I used to fight with way back when who live in that area. I would love to fight with you guys the next time I travel down from Santa Cruz.

I, too, was hoping to drag some Apostles or AU to Anduril's Werewolf event in October, but I would hate to be one of those rude people who just invites themselves over! :P

And I am all for building up West Coast Belegarth! That would be freaking awesome! You have the full support of Salamandastron!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Azgarehta » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 am

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:PM for more info and my cell phone #.
-AoC

Anastasia is giving out her phone # to foam fighter dudes! ZOMG!
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Sieglatan wrote:I, too, was hoping to drag some Apostles or AU to Anduril's Werewolf event in October, but I would hate to be one of those rude people who just invites themselves over! :P
And I am all for building up West Coast Belegarth! That would be freaking awesome! You have the full support of Salamandastron!

Everyone's invited! Just remember the combat's a little one-sided in the treasure hunt battle (although we might change that up if a lot of other realms show up). This is generally our more LARP-friendly event, whereas the "Battle for the Ring Jan 9th 2010" is purely dedicated to Bel combat AND that one you MUST attend!

If you guys need a place to crash for your long drive, we can arrange that for you as well. That's right, not only am I giving out my number, but everybody can stay at my house!

-AoC

PS: Not responsible for deaths induced by boyfriend jealousy.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting