age limits what?

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: age limits what?

Postby Aimish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

Ignoring the huge necro (again).

General age minimum is 16. Some realms go lower.

There is no maximum age. People know when they are getting too old for this. Too young is a greater concern.

EDIT: Didn't see Caleidah's post.
Aimish
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Mar 2010
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Sample Platter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Minimum age as per national standard is 16. Your local field may vary. There is no limit to how old a fighter can be. Older fighters are much better at judging whether or not they should be fighting than younger fighters. Younger fighters all THINK they're fully capable, and they're very often wrong.

It's also a legal issue. You might tell me you're not gonna sue me if you get hurt, and I might even believe you. Unfortunatly, it's your parents who make that call, and I DO NOT trust them.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Pierce » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 am

Personally I would wait a year or two to let him fight with the group. Fight with him all you want since he's related, because I'm sure none of the fighters at practice want to be held liable if they break him.
Western Uruk-Hai Ravenger
(\_/)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(> <)
My bunny is better than your bunny.
Its octopi you jackass.
Pierce
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 2004
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: GIMME A WEAPON!

Postby deadsnow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Ok im about fourteen so if i start my own realm me and a few friends can play or practice and stuff get real good and then when we're 16 we can participate in real wars? do you guys make arrangements with close realms for small wars like little events or just the chaos wars?
Loki Stormbringer is back in action
deadsnow
Underling
Underling

Favorite Fighting Styles: Using kids as shields

Postby Ignatius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Go to the event section on the boards dude. Right now you need to read lots and lots of everything. Don't post another question for the next 24 hours and simply write them down on a piece of paper next to your computer. See if you can't find your own answers and then, if 24 hrs later you've got nothing, come back and ask.

Give it a try, as it stands you're still asking things that the answers are easily found for. Also, go look at the Belegarth wiki. it can be found here
http://geddon.org/index.php/Main_Page
It is very helpful too!
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Remeob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm

New guy, breathing life into this well traveled thread.

I will relate this to martial art sparring and more full contact events.

I will never spar with a person who can not initiate an insurance policy under their own name...not under a parents name, under their own name.

Reasons beyond common sense of not fighting out of weight class, experience level, and other related issues...if you are not of an age or responsibility position to be recognized by the legal system then I should not be expected to do any less.

As an adult, if you spar or match against a person who is not recognized by the courts as an adult then you are guilty of child endangerment at the least and most likely assault if not aggravated assault...which in Texas comes with 9-99yrs in prison as a potential punishment.

Now that is the most extreme, but lawyers and the courts could take this and run with it.

Count me out...I will not participate in a program that allows those not responsible for their own actions as recognized by the legal system...no waiver or parental permission would protect an adult that injured a child in this sort of situation.

Now that said, I have played in men's soccer leagues and 16+yr olds were allowed to play...limited to a certain number per team, mandatory parental supervision on the field at the time of play, a notarized waiver, a full physical, and most importantly a special purpose insurance policy in the child's name.

We all had to provide a wavier, a physical, and a special purpose insurance policy...beyond any other personal insurance...everyone without exception.

But there were no kids on the field who were little kids...most were in the national soccer programs and most were taller then the average adult.

Size did not determine maturity...but having played in various sports programs for the majority of their entire lives up to that point did offer a measure of security.

So the point being beaten into the ground...if you are saying "it's not fair" than most likely this means that it is fair...to the rest of us who are responsible and are held to the results of our actions.

Until you are 18yrs old the court does not recognize a child as being responsible for their actions, no matter what a waiver or local policy says.

Hit a kid and go to jail.

It is a truth and it is supported by the law.

Now once it is noted that the hit came from a foam sword, during an practice with guys dressed up in fantasy armor, with names like Lord Fancypants or Lord Orc Blargg...well it would be interesting.

Judge...sir did you hit that kid?

Lord Fancypants...yes but you...

Judge...stop

Judge...guity

Plain and simple.

Soccer is not fighter practice or national fighter games.

Football is not fighter practice or national fighter games.

It is because of the intent...purposely outfitted to shield bash, sword strike, and other wise beat the guy across from you...not incidental full contact...no passing the ball, running for the goal, no the simple truth is that the intent is to simulate full contact weapon and armor combat.

The long and short of it all, no kids.

It is not for them per say, but for us.

Sorry for long post...I tend to ramble a bit when the subject is important, and safely is a paramount issue.

Have a great week all!

Raymond
Remeob
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 22 Jul 1977
Favorite Fighting Styles: Grappling and short staff naginata

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

While I agree insomuch that a waiver is just a deterrent and that parent's permission is paramount to allowing younger fighters to partake, I think you might be over-reacting and seeing this in black and white, not the shades of gray a case-by-case basis such as this warrants.
We've had parents try to drop their 12-16 year old kids off thinking we're like a game and I've personally had to tell them off like we're a baby-sitting service and expect us to take responsibility of there children; in every case I make sure they understand we are in fact not responsible for them or their safety. We've had parents that attended practice repeatedly with their young teens and learned the risk, understood the propensity for violence inherent in this sport and still let their kids go.
You have to get to know the parents or guardians before you make any call, that is fairly obvious and if you can instate a younger age limit if you have a tight-knit realm with everyone understanding that the younger members are the future and that rather than blitz thru them like an *, to nourish their interest and help them develop not only the skill to succeed in this sport but also how to gain a modicum of grace, wisdom and respect that tends to happen in mentoring at that age.
At least, that's always been the understood rule in Babylon; pick the ones that show promise and learn 'em. Some parents think they kids are delicate lil' flowers, others understand that kids can take a beating and be fine with a more full-contact sport.
Plus, you get the added WTF-factor when you leave for a year or two, return to find that skinny-whip of a kid who used to gank you is now taller than you. **** always sends me for a loop lol.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Previous

Return to Recruitment Ideas